do you think some people are just naturaly better at reading tarot?

Minotauro

Thank you darling. :*

It happened to me, and I stopped reading at once - it was my first reading, and my last for almost 30 years. I don't even know what about it was so accurate; my sitter did not share that with me, and I had had no real interest in reading for her in the first place. We just used the book - and that WAS what happened. I didn't see it as ME being accurate; I assumed the cards REALLY WORKED :bugeyed: together with the book - so that put me off BIG TIME. I had always avoided reading for that very reason - they might WORK.... :eek:

That said - I imagine there are readers who are better than others - as is the case with almost everything in life.

I admit to failure on the orgasm one though :D
for me it was simmilar...
I though like " OH SHET" but I wanted to know how and why it worked D: kinda being stuborn I just cant put things aside if I doint understand them >_> it takes over my brain X) so I had to keep going to understand perhaps , maybe because I also saw it from psycologicla point of view etc. so maybe thats why it didnt really scare me =P

Le Fanu

As with anything, it's part study, part talent.

Like what makes a great pianist; much study but there has to be a natural flair, something that cannot be taught.

I do not believe that someone could become a great tarot reader only by study, there has to be something intrinsic. Likewise (and here's the controversial part); I don't believe anyone can just pick the cards up and immediately become a great reader. The most they could be - surely - would be a *good* or quite good reader.

But we are all different; we may be curious about how others read, how others deliver, but our own particular style is what makes our approach unique.

But yes. I do believe some people are naturally better than others at reading tarot. It's not that they're psychic and someone else isn't. Someone who responds better to visual stimuli would make a better tarot reader than someone who responds better to audio stimuli. That makes sense to me.

Plus being a naturally sensitive human being is massively helpful when reading, but then we all think we're sensitive.

Don't forget that reading the cards is one thing. Tuning into the querent and how you speak to them during a reading, how you treat them, your delivery etc is something else entirely. A person could get superb messages from the images and be psychotic and annoying in their delivery. Which wouldn't make for a good reading. :D

MareSaturni

Bless your heart, Marina, you're one of my favorite people here. :heart: You just tell it like it is and often, you're saying what I'm thinking. lol

Always glad to be of help, madam! ;)

However, I believe that we're all capable of becoming equally good at reading. It just depends on how long and earnestly you apply yourself to it. The real secret is doing lots and lots of face-to-face reading for others. That face-to-face stuff is scary as hell at first but you get over that and it becomes very, very rewarding. The fright is just your fear of being wrong and looking stupid, but that comes from a big ego and if you can humble yourself---voila! You'll learn to love it.

That's what I still have to overcome. That difficult Everest of insecurities that rises in front of me whenever I try to do a face-to-face reading... *sigh*

Thank you darling. :*

[...]

That said - I imagine there are readers who are better than others - as is the case with almost everything in life.

I admit to failure on the orgasm one though :D

I believe that people have different skills, but I also believe in the power of the human brain. It can adapt - it was made to adapt. It adapts much faster than the rest of your body - if you let it. So you cannot be hindered by 'I don't have the talent'... you have to see how much you love what you do. That's the primal impulse. And usually you love the things you have a 'natural talent' for. ;)

Mozart had an extraordinary musical ear - or, rather, a musical brain. But if he hated music and wished to become a tailor instead, his musical brain would not be much helpful. His talent would not develop by itself. Talent needs passion to really shine - if your love for tarot/divination is big, there's a huge chance you'll become good at it, even if at first you have no apparent talent. Perhaps you do have it, but it needs to be discovered through experimentation.

My answer for "how was your first tarot reading" is the same for "how was your first sexual experience": I don't remember. Thank goodness.

I prefer to think about the present and future ones. })

Rootweaver

Yes, the ego is the hardest thing to master. It helps me to put myself aside, as if I am not even there.

I also think, that people who are more intuitive are better readers. And anyone can become intuitive if they feel they are not already.

A lot of it is putting the self aside and reading from somewhere else. I have a hard time explaining because I don't feel the messages come from me.

And I get stuff wrong all the time. In little ways, I may think a card is talking about a client only to find out it's a completely different person. And these are readings people pay me for. I think if you are humble, as Griz says, people take you in a different way than if you are all ego. I see myself as a servant and I don't worry about being wrong or foolish because as long as my sitter gets the message, that's all that matters. *I* don't matter. I am merely the messenger.

And don't you just love those Hollywood births? Woman goes into labor and within minutes her child is born... yeah right! Pffft! :D

I am a reasonably strong reader, but it did not happen overnight for me. Initially I read intuitively only, and I was surprisingly good at it. After initially resisting (partly because I didn't want to 'mess' with the intuitive approach) I started studying tarot. With that I added what I call the 'science of tarot' aspect to my intuitive readings, and there was a noticeable improvement! I was good enough to go professional then, but still I resisted... it was the confidence and ego thing getting in the way. I accidentally tapped into something once while gardening (totally unrelated to tarot) and remember running inside to find pen and paper. I was experiencing an incredible 'download' of the most profound knowledge and wisdom! This happened a few times, each time while in the garden (so often that my one friend used to joke and say: She doesn't do gardening, she does God-ning! LOL!) It took me a while to understand that what I was doing was spontaneous channeling. I was tapping into something very old, wise and knowing... It was only when I made the decision to consciously tap into this during tarot readings that I felt I was ready to start offering professional readings. So, my process was slower perhaps, and layered, but it catapulted the quality of my readings into a completely different (and better) level. Now, I never do a reading whether face-to-face, online or on radio without first connecting with my querent's guides. I ask for them to channel through me the messages and information that my querent is ready to receive. I also always ask my own guides to guide me in the interpretation of these messages as they are symbolic and open to interpretation. I ask them to give me the clarity needed to deliver messages that are meaningful and relevant.

This is what works for me, without fail... Making 'space' for the guides to speak means I HAVE to move my ego out of the equation. It has brought me so much joy, comfort (and confidence) to know that my readings are guided since I have incorporated the channeling aspect. And it is a lot easier than what it might sound. All that is required is to ASK them to come through. :heart:

Minotauro

Always glad to be of help, madam! ;)

That's what I still have to overcome. That difficult Everest of insecurities that rises in front of me whenever I try to do a face-to-face reading... *sigh*

I believe that people have different skills, but I also believe in the power of the human brain. It can adapt - it was made to adapt. It adapts much faster than the rest of your body - if you let it. So you cannot be hindered by 'I don't have the talent'... you have to see how much you love what you do. That's the primal impulse. And usually you love the things you have a 'natural talent' for. ;)

Mozart had an extraordinary musical ear - or, rather, a musical brain. But if he hated music and wished to become a tailor instead, his musical brain would not be much helpful. His talent would not develop by itself. Talent needs passion to really shine - if your love for tarot/divination is big, there's a huge chance you'll become good at it, even if at first you have no apparent talent. Perhaps you do have it, but it needs to be discovered through experimentation.

My answer for "how was your first tarot reading" is the same for "how was your first sexual experience": I don't remember. Thank goodness.

I prefer to think about the present and future ones. })

I wish I didnt remeber my first sexual experience ._.

I luckily forgot my first reading lol =P

Minotauro

And don't you just love those Hollywood births? Woman goes into labor and within minutes her child is born... yeah right! Pffft! :D

I am a reasonably strong reader, but it did not happen overnight for me. Initially I read intuitively only, and I was surprisingly good at it. After initially resisting (partly because I didn't want to 'mess' with the intuitive approach) I started studying tarot. With that I added what I call the 'science of tarot' aspect to my intuitive readings, and there was a noticeable improvement! I was good enough to go professional then, but still I resisted... it was the confidence and ego thing getting in the way. I accidentally tapped into something once while gardening (totally unrelated to tarot) and remember running inside to find pen and paper. I was experiencing an incredible 'download' of the most profound knowledge and wisdom! This happened a few times, each time while in the garden (so often that my one friend used to joke and say: She doesn't do gardening, she does God-ning! LOL!) It took me a while to understand that what I was doing was spontaneous channeling. I was tapping into something very old, wise and knowing... It was only when I made the decision to consciously tap into this during tarot readings that I felt I was ready to start offering professional readings. So, my process was slower perhaps, and layered, but it catapulted the quality of my readings into a completely different (and better) level. Now, I never do a reading whether face-to-face, online or on radio without first connecting with my querent's guides. I ask for them to channel through me the messages and information that my querent is ready to receive. I also always ask my own guides to guide me in the interpretation of these messages as they are symbolic and open to interpretation. I ask them to give me the clarity needed to deliver messages that are meaningful and relevant.

This is what works for me, without fail... Making 'space' for the guides to speak means I HAVE to move my ego out of the equation. It has brought me so much joy, comfort (and confidence) to know that my readings are guided since I have incorporated the channeling aspect. And it is a lot easier than what it might sound. All that is required is to ASK them to come through. :heart:

whats that scientific aproach you mentioned? it sounds interesting I kinda sometimes look at the psycological aspects of the tarot I want to first be at a good level before going into that

your garden story is amazing! I loved it , I sometimes well Im not sure if I connect , but lately I've been trying to get in touch with whatever might guide me,... and I sometimes kinda do it, I think I was meditating and I heard soemthings I dont even remember exactly what she said ( it sounded like a mischievous little girl ) and then she laughed I remember that little I did something naughty laugh D: I think whatever it is that soemtimes guides me could be some kind of trickster ._. and kind of manipulative too. she or it or whatever , doesnt always tell me what I want to know , I think sometimes she instead tells me things to get a certain effect ._. so I get what I needed but not what I searched for it kinda feels like she well she or it doesnt " lie " but she does kinda fool me or tricks me even if it is for my benefit lol , Im sorry Im prone to talking giverish! XD

Minotauro

As with anything, it's part study, part talent.

Like what makes a great pianist; much study but there has to be a natural flair, something that cannot be taught.

I do not believe that someone could become a great tarot reader only by study, there has to be something intrinsic. Likewise (and here's the controversial part); I don't believe anyone can just pick the cards up and immediately become a great reader. The most they could be - surely - would be a *good* or quite good reader.

But we are all different; we may be curious about how others read, how others deliver, but our own particular style is what makes our approach unique.

But yes. I do believe some people are naturally better than others at reading tarot. It's not that they're psychic and someone else isn't. Someone who responds better to visual stimuli would make a better tarot reader than someone who responds better to audio stimuli. That makes sense to me.

Plus being a naturally sensitive human being is massively helpful when reading, but then we all think we're sensitive.

Don't forget that reading the cards is one thing. Tuning into the querent and how you speak to them during a reading, how you treat them, your delivery etc is something else entirely. A person could get superb messages from the images and be psychotic and annoying in their delivery. Which wouldn't make for a good reading. :D

well I dont know how good I actually am, even now. I think the problem is I had very limited tools to start with.

but Im solving that now , I do remember even whith my second deck wich is the one that didnt suck but was kind of too much for me to handle at the time ( revelations tarot , wich I wouldnt recomend to a beginer at all...) I did some pretty good readings! I t least " amazed " some people , made a girl crie etc.

I still dont know if I have the talent , but that migh be due to the fact that the mentioned thread was a hard punch to my self esteem X)

but I do study comunication sciences , advertizing . and I always take the courses that seak about signs symbols or help practice my speaking abilities , for language is something extremly important , and powerful to my eyes , it just opens so many doors , it can move seas of people, my tongue is my most powerful tool and weapon.

( that part might not show due to my posts , but that's because english is my second language, sorry)

Rev_Vesta

There are some who yes seem to read very naturally for the first time using all of their abilties to read for clients straight away and then there are others who must work hard in learning and developing their abilties in reading Tarot cards... Reading lots of books, journaling, meditation and connecting totally with the deck....

I believe it does not matter how you learnt to read Tarot but that fact is you did and still are learning... even after 12 years I find everytime I pick up the deck and read for a client I am continually learning......

I was an okay reader when i started but I believe the only way i have improved is with experience, life experience.... in how i deliver the messages......I am always looking for new depth within the cards... occassionally I change to a different deck for awhile giving me so much more to work with when i go back to NAT by Magda Weck Gonzales.....

Don't be harsh on self if you don't seem to be as good as someone else, or you seem to have misunderstood a card..... just go back and relook at the cards info, learn, develop and believe in self...anything is possible ....it is within you.....

Zechariah13

yes and no.
I personally think that someone can have an affinity for the cards, but that doesnt mean that they will always be better than someone without said affinity.

As for me, being slightly empathic, i tend to suck at telling the future. I dont see events and occurences very well, but i am very comfortable and, according to the few ive read for, rather accurate if im doing a 'snapshot' of THAT person at THAT moment. That doesnt mean that i will be better at that than everyone always, and it doesnt mean i cant learn to read the future, its just not natural.

So, long story short , "natural affinity" can give you a boost or edge, but skill can be gained by anyone willing to dedicate the energy towards it

Rootweaver

whats that scientific aproach you mentioned?

I was referring to the actual study of tarot as we do on this forum, whether formal or informal studies, the acquisition of deeper tarot knowledge. I call that the 'science' of tarot. ;)