• No, never

Votes: 131 33.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 115 29.3%
  • Not yet (still learning)

Votes: 44 11.2%

• Total voters

woodwind bard

I do use reversals, the give alot more variety in your interpretations.

snowy_owl

Not Now, Still Learning

I too am still learning the meaning of the cards and being intrigued by the visuals I find that it is distracting to my concentration to look at the card in an upside down position.

For those of you that do use reversals, what do you feel it adds to your reading?

Can you give an example where you felt the reading was "more accurate" by choosing to read reversals rather than not?

Snowy_Owl

Annabelle

I just realized that I voted in this poll a long time ago, but never posted.

I typically don't use reversals. I never shuffle to encourage them, and when I'm reading for others, I let them shuffle as they wish but then I just move each card into an upright position as I turn it over.

I don't see anything to be gained by using reversals - each card contains negative and positive possibilities, even in its upright state. I let my intuition - and the surrounding cards - be my guide as to how to "read" any given card.

Fen Windglimmer

Hi,

Sometime I use reversals and sometimes I don't. It depends on how I'm feeling at the time and how the card fits into the spread.

One thing that has always bugged me about them is the feeling that if for example the Tower is reversed from the World before dealing, then you can never have both of them upright in a reading. So what happens if you need both of them upright, or reversed?

Does that make sense?

Ah well... just mumbling.

Love and light to you all.

Fen

light2000

I never use reversals, i tried for awhile to learn it but seems it doen't work for me.

kim

Hello,

My name is Kim and i just started studying the Rider Waite.
I have the same issue. Should or should i not use the reverse meanings?
I have deceided not to. First of all it makes learning more complicated, but most of all i read that using reverse is something that is pretty new. I mean it has been used for quite a while, but originally the tarot was never used with reverse meanings. So for me, i just leave it like this. No reverse for me.

Offcourse, if someone else does use them, all respect to you. And i would love to hear experiences from you with this.

Strength

I didnt think you had a choice in using reversals ? as you shuffle the cards, they tend to get turned up side down at random.......So yes, i do use them, although its pretty hard.......You cant find the meaning of the reversed cards everywhere, but thankfully i have a book, which does give the reversed explanantions........

kim

From what i understood from the book that i read it in, is that people just turned them upright again if they got upsidedown from shuffling. Somewhere around the time of the Rider Waite they started to give these cards a reverse meaning. I think they didn't when the very first tarot cards existed.

I would like to look this up, cause i am very interested in the history of Tarot.

Orlando

'To Reverse or Not Reverse' thus asked the Reader!

Although new to the Tarot, I have incorporated reversals in my study readings from the start as I do believe they offer the opportunity for richer and more complex results. Just be aware that depending on your training and/or the books you reference in your studies, conflicts abound as to how to interpret reversals--from viewing them as directly opposite to the particular card's standard meaning, to finer gradations of meaning that include energy levels. In any event, I think the use of reversals adds much more depth to almost any spread. Happy reading!

tell me about it

I'm surprised that the majority seem to opt not to use reversals... I'm still new at this, I've only been seriously devoted since December/January.

When I started, I didn't have any guidance, my friend had a deck, and refused to do reversals, because he's a self-proclaimed slacker. I wanted to do it "right" there was a description in my book for the reverse of things, so that's how I read the cards if they fell that way.

Recently I have begun to wish that I had only read cards as upright, because I might have mastered the meanings by now. However, I do a lot of readings for friends, and they have all expressed a desire for me to read reversed as opposed to moving the card to an upright position.

So, I guess I read them reversed, but not because it's the only way to go, just because my silly friends want the cards read as they fall, no changes.

~Katie