Do you use the reverse cards?

AmethystEyes

I know that some do and some say that the other cards do their job.
What do you think?
What do you do?
What have you found most effective?

moderndayruth

With RWS sometimes i do read Rx though i usually get what cards are ill dignified without them physically being reversed; with Thoth and TdM - i don't read reversals at all. Works for me ;)

gregory

No - unless I am required to by an exercise here. I read by what I see, literally.

Milamber

I do; I have ever since dealing one CC that I couldn't make heads nor tails of. Then after a long time I physically reversed one card (the Ace of Swords iirc) and suddenly made sense of it all.

It's really a matter of personal preference, I'd bet it's split pretty close to 50/50 in the tarot world. The one thing I would say is that beginners should avoid reversals at least until they know the upright cards very well.

Annabelle

No, I don't read with reversals.

Well . . . with rare exceptions. Sometimes, a card turns up upside down, and I get a feeling in the pit of my stomach that it "means something" . . . but I never use reversals on purpose.

AmethystEyes

Yeah. I figured until I have more experience and know the cards better I should probably stay with them at upright then see how I feel.
Thanks canid that was helpful. I was trying to find a thread on this. Guess I didn't look hard enough..... :p

Sulis

I don't read with upside down cards but I do always take into account a card's whole range of meanings during a reading and so sometimes I will read an upright card 'reversed' - the spread position, the other cards and how the card fits with the 'story' of the reading tells me how to read it.

So technically I don't read with reversed cards but in reality I often use 'reversed' meanings.

vanity

I don't use Reversals. I'm nowhere near experienced enough or used to my deck yet, so I'm staying away from them. Just to keep things a bit simple, I may always stay with upright, though.

Pandora MoonRaven

I use reversals but the way I use them is as a different perspective. I see the reversals in a couple ways and use my intuition as to how I read it. Kind of like the hanged man hanging upside down in what I often feel is to look at things from new perspectives I feel if it is reversed it is asking for a deeper look or an area that needs to be paid attention to, not as a negative but as a "hey this is important keep this in mind". The other way I often see them is as a delay to the next card. Like I might get a past, present future reading or often if the reading is moving from one phase to another and I get a reversal I often get the intuition that this is what is coming but it is being held up or delayed.
I don't read them negative or opposites of the meanings since there are "negative" per se cards in the deck as it is. That is just how I do it but I think the reading will be accurate based on what the readers intuitions and thoughts are. :eek:)