Does anyone use a pendulum to select cards?

jenessa

Somewhere in my research i noticed where someone had indicated that you could use a pendulum to select cards to use in a reading, but as i know nothing about how this is done i thot i'd field this question in the forum.

For starters, i'm curious as to what one would use as pendulum? << Does this just refer to any object that would swing back & forth, or does it have to be of a distinct shape or carry a certain weight?

How exactly does this work & is there some kind of technique to follow?

I think it might have something to do with electro magnetic fields, tho i don't really understand this concept.

I'd appreciate any additional info./insight in this regard, as i think this might be an interesting approach, not to mention a change from routinely shuffling & pulling cards.

Many thanx/jenessa
PS: As this is my 1st. attempt @ posting a "new thread", does anyone know how to select the ? symbol which would appear beside my inquiry. I couldn't find this icon anywhere, tho i've noted where others have posted a ? using one.

WaterSong

Hello jenessa,
you can find an image by looking above where it says User CP....if you click there you will find a few images to chose from....

I have a friend that uses the pendulum a lot but it takes to much time to use it to make a whole spread...she uses it for clarification of a difficult question after the reading is done, or for very specific questions.
She incorporates the pendulum in her tarot practice as an extra but does not use it to pick every single card of the spread....
and it is quite amazing how it works!

I hope I helped a little :)
xoxoxoxox

redflash

I haven't used them for picking cards, but when I was practising with a pendulum last year I used a clear quartz one which is very good at concentrating energy. It only cost about £6. But you can use lots of things, like rings tied to cotton etc. I used to pick about six cards out, look at one card, shuffle them & lay them face-down. Then I would use my pendulum to find the one I had looked at. I was going to start using the pendulum in readings but then I was ill & packed all of it in, including tarot. Don't really want to try the pendulum again. But it was always correct !

SaintOfScreams

You can use anything for a pendulum, and as for choosing cards, I recommend spreading your cards face down, in an arch shape, so as to allow the pendulum to swing freely.

Perhaps once you draw your cards, lay them in an arch shape, and allow your pendulum to show you what card(s) have the most impact on your spread?

jenessa

further ?'s

Just wanted to thank everyone for the info. you've provided thus far ... every lil bit helps. But as i really have no idea how to USE a pendulum, i'm still in the dark to a large degree. Tho its nice to know that i can use just about anything AS the pendulum. & The insight re: using one for clarification purposes is useful.

However, i'm still wondering how exactly i go about this. I spread-out the cards & somehow swing the pendulum & then will it stop by landing on a card?
Or will it stop above a card? How many inches above the cards should i hold it? Do i try & swing it left to right or in a circle shape? Does it have anything to do with electro magnetic fields, as i thot i'd read somewhere.

& As many people have mentioned that its time consuming, i'm curious how long would it take to select a/(one) card?

I'm thinking, you hold it above the cards, (tho i've no idea of the distance), but then i'm wondering how you set it in motion ... perhaps you tap it? ... but then what? ... i'm assuming you just wait for it to stop. Thing is, if you hold the object/pendulum in the centre above the cards & somehow set it in motion, will it not just stop in the centre where you basically started from, when it winds down?

I'm afraid i don't know much about the laws of physics, or even how to attempt to select cards using such a device. So any further input re: method/technique would be greatly appreciated, as i think it would nice to be able to incorporate this into my tarot practice.

Also as Magneta has written that they know someone who uses one, perhaps they could respond with a lil more detail.
*regards/jenessa

jenessa

PS: from Jenessa re: further inquiry

Sorry Magenta ... i misspelled your name. IF you can appreciate that i'm not overly computer literate & so have no idea as to: how to go back & forth to double check threads, etc. So you have my apologies.

I also wanted to ask RedFlash to respond with more info. if possible, as i noted where you mentioned that you've actually practiced USING a pendulum. So hopefully you could provide greater insight.

Thanks people!/jenessa

WaterSong

Hiya jenessa,

I personally don't use pendulum when doing readings but I know at least two people that incorporate it in their spiritual readings.
They both use it at the END of a reading for more like yes or no questions.
They hold the pendulum firmly facing the table and then ask the question.
The pendulum usually starts to swing either in a circle or sideways....usually circle means yes and sideways no.
But you can find out what it means for you by asking firts the pendulum a question you know the answer to be yes...like...is my name Jenessa?
if the pendulum swings in circle, then for you the circle movement will mean yes.
Sometimes they use it for the choosing of cards....like they will put the pendulum abouve them and wait and see which direction it will swing...they do lay down the cards in an orderly manner so the direction is clear...like in a circle for example.

I have found that to do a reading like that takes time because you need to concentrate and wait for the pendulum to move....is not that it takes centuries to do so, but you need to be careful not to be influencing the movement in any way.

I personally would use the pendulum at the end, as a yes or no tool.

You can find lots of info on the internet, just google it or go to the crystal section here, you may find something.
Usually pendulums are made of quartz crystal and they are energy conductors and receptors.

Hope this ehelps some :)
blessings

SaintOfScreams

Hold the pendulum between your index finger and thumb, rest your elbow on a hard surface for stability. If your pendulum won't be still, ask it to be still. Then ask to show you the directions for Yes" and "No", keep note on whether you get linear or circular for both. Then ask the pendulum if you may work with it that day. If yes, and you use it in your spread, I imagine it would swing over the card.

Acadia

I use a pendulum with my readings. I have a great bond with my pendulum, so I can't imagine doing any divination without it.

I use my pendulum in a couple of ways:

1. First and foremost, I use it as a "witness" to my readings. I place it on my cloth in the upper right-hand corner, point in towards the center of the layout. Long before I started using it to augment my readings directly, I did this. The reason was because even pendulums need to learn about Tarot, what the cards mean, layout, etc. But most importantly, my pendulum needs to feel the interactions of energy, since that's what the pendulum works with. Doing this started out as my way of incorporating a tool I knew was powerful, but didn't know how to use... Later it grew into a bonding experience with me and the pendulum, much like sleeping with the Tarot under your pillow (for those who do that). If I want to do something more active, I:

2. I don't use my pendulum to pick out any cards. To do that would take *forever* unless you're only working with the Major Arcana. In that case, I suppose it is possible to lay out all the cards (face up or down) to pick out cards. But again, it's time consuming. I prefer to do a layout, do the reading, then pick up the pendulum afterwards to see if there are any cards it indicates to. To know what cards it's indicating, it can do several things. I would start in the center of the layout, and move with the pendulum as if you're laying the cards out. The pendulum may indicate by swinging left to right when it's only been swinging up and down (or vise versa), swinging clockwise when it's been swinging counterclockwise (or vice versa), by becoming still when it's been moving, or moving after it's been still. It's one of those things that when you do it, "you'll know." I know that's an obnoxious answer, but that's the truth when you are talking about pendulums.

3. If I were you, I'd learn to use a pendulum and have it witness your readings before you try to encorporate it into a Tarot reading. It's one of those things where it's not an easy thing to do, so being as proficient as possible before using it with another form of divination is probably the way to go.

If you have any other pendulum questions, or Tarot questions, let me know. I have a couple of books I can suggest on using pendulums if you'd like more info on how to start working with pendulums.