Quintessential card and the Fool

jojojo

Hi, I've been wondering for a while about the Quintessential card and whether the Fool is included. As I understand, the numbers of a reading are added up and then reduced to a number between 1-21. But what about the Fool - can this never be a Quintessential card and is there any significance if the Quintessential number is 22, or do you simply reduce to 4?

firecatpickles

In the game of Tarot, and this argument has been suggested before, the Fool (the "excuse") is assigned 22 points. In Minchiate, the excuse is 41 points, and the last 5 cards are unnumbered. Why not have 2 quintessential card numbers?

KK
:THANG

star-lover

good question!

i never thought of that one jo - you're right - i guess it may have something to do with the idea of the fool as representing the querent and his journey so it being the quintessential card wouldn't make any sense i suppose
i honestly dont know, be interested to hear others views on this
x

firecatpickles

To reduce or not to reduce

jojojo said:
...or do you simply reduce ...?
Helvetica is out for a few days and she would be able to answer this directly. But I distinctly remember her saying to reduce the number to any number bewteen 1 and [how ever many trumps you have, usually 21 {or 22}]. I personally use trumps numbering up to 41!

KK
:THANG

Moongold

My understanding of the quintessential card is that Fool = 0 and that you simply go by the numbers on the cards. Aces = 1 and you don't include Court Cards.

I think this is one of those things where there are variations, as with the life time cards and with systems of numerology.

You work out what system suits you and are consistent with it.

Mooncat2 is another who would be able to advise on the quintessential card.

jojojo

Hi guys, thanks for your input. I understand what the quintessential card and have a system to generate this number in a reading but I was just wondering why the Fool can never be a quintessential card and if anyone used the quintessential number 22 as the Fool?