Does Doing a Reading Drain You/Your experiences?

Bonny

I find, after I do a couple of readings, I'm drained. Like, absolutely drained; I don't want to do anything anymore time of "drained". By the end of the day I'm absolutely exhausted (say, I'm learning to read cards on the weekend). I'm an engineering student and I know the amount of studies we do can be exhausting, but this is a different kind of exhaustion. It feels like the deck drains me every time I ask a question and interpret it.

Does anyone else find they have the same effect?

It's funny, I notice the spreads continue to tell me similar things as what previous psychics have said. Yes-No questions tend to predominating sided to one side of the spectrum. And I notice my deck has a personality (I would ask very simple questions such as "If my name A, B" or "Is my birthday X, Y, Z" it would respond with cards that suggest "maybe". Even when I ask my about my friends, same answer). I read in the text later (book supplied with the deck) and it talks about the deck having a sassy vibe. So, I wonder if it is just this deck in particular and how it connects to me?

And the level of detail, in discussions, that the cards suggest is unreal. I did a spread about my friend and his dog (Wolfie) and it talked about how Wolfie felt relieved, found his "savor" sort of deal when he was picked up from the pound when my friend first got him, and then there were cards about obedience, obsession, etc. On my friend's side there were feelings of regret, regret that he couldn't quite provide (always working) or a hindrance (he's constantly moving and rarely has someone to look after him so he's a bit of a burden at times).

Is there a concern with this "energy"? A friend that does read tarots tells me that I should watch myself when reading the cards too much.

Hi there,

For what it's worth, this is just to offer some observations.

Whether it's cards or career or research/study ...whatever it is , there is a 'relationship' that we build to this arena in life.
So there are thoughts, fears, reservations etc....

What's your 'relationship' with the cards?
Do you worry or fear of have conflicting concerns about contact with them (this is not giving the cards extra energy, it's just posing a question that might help you)...

It could be the underlying questions conscious or unconscious that you carry that come to your central nervous system when you use the cards and drain your energy?

The reading of the cards is a form of right brain processing for me which is a relief to the heavy left brain work I do as a researcher most days.
It's communicating with others in a counselling style mode to do good for others and for the planet ultimately.... Energising in the quantities that I do so.

Last thing ... If the rapport or relationships/boundaries with either reader or sitter gets awful for some reason, especially if theres sudden meanness or judgement or violence in other ways then it becomes draining.

Go well!!

Blessings,
Bonny

P.s there is a 'hyper-reality'that images of any kind challenge your perception with at any time... This happens via advertising , tv, etc etc as well.
Philosophers since third century have been warning that the space between the perceiver and the images seen is a space that can cause a flickering of discord for the perceiver because there is a mimetic going between in a richochet fashion , from image to mind of the perceiver and if this goes on too much can cause a sense of instability for the self. (Augustine of Hippo)

ana luisa

To me, reading can be draining or energizing. It all depends on who I'm reading for. I believe it's the exchange/sharing of energies that may sometimes may produce opposite effects. Not the act of reading per se. I've done readings that literally got me bed-ridden and some that gave me so much energy, I felt like a had a fever.

ram

I may be in the minority here, but I find it tremendously energizing. Recently I did three 36-card Lenormand GT readings in a single afternoon for family members. It was so fascinating that I never felt a moment's weariness. Then we had a couple of beers, and that did what the cards couldn't! :laugh:

Oh my gosh that is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ram

I nearly always take a nap after a reading or at least rest. It drives me nuts because I'd like to do a lot more with Tarot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zephyros

Reading is difficult and strains mental muscles people don't generally exercise. Plus, beyond any intuitive faculties it takes a good deal of concentration.

For example, most people find silent movies tiring or dull to watch because contrary to modern "talkies" if you look away you usually miss an integral plot point and there's no audio to fill in that gap. It's an entirely different experience and people who used to go watch them in theatres were more accustomed to it.

So I get the whole drainage thing. I generally don't do long spreads for myself but when doing readings for others I do need to take a break between them. As others have said, water is always good.

Barleywine

For example, most people find silent movies tiring or dull to watch because contrary to modern "talkies" if you look away you usually miss an integral plot point and there's no audio to fill in that gap. It's an entirely different experience and people who used to go watch them in theatres were more accustomed to it.

For me, it's subtitled non-English-language films that often wear me out. But there are exceptions even there: I know just enough French to recognize the hilarious malapropisms in the translation of Jean Reno's French-language movie Les Visiteurs. An analogous situation in the world of tarot would be reading for someone for whom English is a second - a distant second - language. The repetition and constant rephrasing while searching for the key to explaining each card would not only fatigue me, but drive me crazy. Fortunately, where I live I don't encounter that much. The closest I come is my Korean-born sister-in-law, who can't speak English clearly at all, but she's smart and doesn't miss a thing as long as I don't get too creative.

Disa

Water, lots of water- yes. A little food.

I find readings most often are energizing rather than draining.

What I find draining is the process of typing the online readings if it's a really long spread...looking through tons of resources to find the right spread, taking the picture, transferring the picture to my computer, attaching the picture, etc. For face to face readings they are only draining if the querent is draining.

I try to think of reading cards like sending Reiki. I'm just the channel, the conduit. I'm only relaying the message, I'm not CREATING the message. When the Reiki energy flows through me to others, I feel energized. When the message in a reading flows through me to others, I feel energized.

It's only the situations AROUND the reading that can be draining..to me at least. It isn't the reading itself.

celticnoodle

I find it very draining as well. I don't do more than one medium to larger reading a day because it's too tiring!

Some people use protection techniques before using tarot if you believe in spirit guides. But after the readings, try to ground yourself! meditate and feel your feet barefoot on the floor and eat something! Do something non tarot.

my top tip after the draining (and someone gave me on here!) is to drink water! it makes such a difference. Drink water during your reading and afterwards, it really helps my energy levels!

I'm not concerned about it, it's just using a lot of concentration and energy perhaps! Grounding can really help but I haven't quite conquered that yet :)

Agreed with the water BIG TIME!!! Drink water while you're doing the reading, (if you can) and afterwards as well. Even before hand, if you can! Water is a BIG help. I also like the grounding tips Daniel mentioned. I sometimes can get away w/o the grounding, but then, I tend to ground myself every morning the minute my feet touch the floor as I get out of bed. Who knows--perhaps that is enough for me? But, if not--if I feel I need it--I will again ground.

I also often feel the need to eat something made from a food from the earth--even if it is drinking a glass of milk. I will often crave milk and/or cheese or potatoes. (my fave foods anyway). Sometimes I also do a cup of tea, as was also mentioned here by someone--with sugar, as I get a craving for sugar often too.

I may be in the minority here, but I find it tremendously energizing. Recently I did three 36-card Lenormand GT readings in a single afternoon for family members. It was so fascinating that I never felt a moment's weariness. Then we had a couple of beers, and that did what the cards couldn't! :laugh:

Wow, Barleywine! It always amazes me when I meet someone who finds this energizing. I have met a few readers who say the same thing and also psychic readers, and healers who send energies. I do all these things too and often find them rather draining. However, every now and again I MIGHT be energized. But that is really rare and I can't imagine feeling this way after doing even ONE G.T.! :thumbsup:

:laugh:

Dominoo

Hi there,

For what it's worth, this is just to offer some observations.

Whether it's cards or career or research/study ...whatever it is , there is a 'relationship' that we build to this arena in life.
So there are thoughts, fears, reservations etc....

What's your 'relationship' with the cards?
Do you worry or fear of have conflicting concerns about contact with them (this is not giving the cards extra energy, it's just posing a question that might help you)...

It could be the underlying questions conscious or unconscious that you carry that come to your central nervous system when you use the cards and drain your energy?

The reading of the cards is a form of right brain processing for me which is a relief to the heavy left brain work I do as a researcher most days.
It's communicating with others in a counselling style mode to do good for others and for the planet ultimately.... Energising in the quantities that I do so.

Last thing ... If the rapport or relationships/boundaries with either reader or sitter gets awful for some reason, especially if theres sudden meanness or judgement or violence in other ways then it becomes draining.

Go well!!

Blessings,
Bonny

P.s there is a 'hyper-reality'that images of any kind challenge your perception with at any time... This happens via advertising , tv, etc etc as well.
Philosophers since third century have been warning that the space between the perceiver and the images seen is a space that can cause a flickering of discord for the perceiver because there is a mimetic going between in a richochet fashion , from image to mind of the perceiver and if this goes on too much can cause a sense of instability for the self. (Augustine of Hippo)

I'm pretty exhausted right now so I'll take a second read of this later. Thanks a lot for the detail. I'll respond soon and give you more information about it.

I'm an engineer, but I have always been told I use both sides of my brain. But it is definitely hard for me to take a "positive card" and figure out what is negative about it. It is draining, sometimes, to figure out these "2 choices" spreads. Some people have come to me with some very concerning questions that put a lot, and I mean A LOT of weight on some Tarot cards for life changing choices. Figuring out which is which, especially if some of the explanations of the cards do show overlap, is confusing and draining.

I'm pooched for today. Lots of fun. All day interpretation for merely 3 spreads. I definitely have to give it to you guys for knowing so much where you probably don't consult a book at all for your readings.

Dominoo

It's only the situations AROUND the reading that can be draining..to me at least. It isn't the reading itself.

That's what I had today. 3 major questions of "should I go or stay" ordeals. Whatever option they take puts a lot of weight on your shoulders. I find doing guidance on a particular situation better; something I'm failure with for sure.

Larger spreads are very complex. I think I jumped the gun too quick here. I had better readings with the smaller spreads. But I made sure to take my reading with a grain of salt and try to see if you pick up on anything and go from there. Gave them some insight and yeah...

I was too drained by the 2/3 reading that I missed the weird connections. Drawing a card that represents a person and finding out there is a huge influence of that person, or just how the theme of the cards around travel will be regarding family, travels, etc., or in regards to other things, sometimes the cards give very straight forward common sense sort of logic.

I hope I helped these people out and didn't confuse them more than I am right now.. Ha..

It's draining. Mentally. I'm beginning to feel more in tune with the deck where it's energy isn't "sucking it out of me" sort of deal. The first bits of meeting each other is over. I feel very intune with the deck for the most part; just got to study each card more.

Thanks for your input guys. Reading your experiences is great!