Does this happen to anyone else?

Zazi

I am a newbie to actually reading the cards and I have only tried to read for myself. Occasionally I just flip through the cards to see if anything comes to mind. I haven't really memorized any 'official' meanings. And so far I only use one deck, the International Icon Tarot.

I usually either get no connection at all, or something snide or silly (almost like the titles to the Fractured Fairytales on the old Bullwinkle cartoons). For instance 5 of cups: No Use Crying Over Spilled Milk; or Oops! Did I Do That?

Or 9 of swords: Please, don't fall on me. Please don't fall on me. Please don't fall on me...
followed by

10 of swords: Can't Be Any Deader Than That; or Oops! You Fell on Me.

The Empress was ready to hit me with her scepter.

The Page of Swords says, "Wow, I have a Sword! Now what do I do with it?"

Other cards I get nothing at all except that I like the art on this deck and I enjoy looking at the pictures.

ana luisa

You know what? You´re absolutely on the right path. It does happen to me and I believe to many readers. The funny comments are not to be dismissed though. They´re great advice from your intuitive self and will help you get even a better connection with the cards. As far as not "getting' anything, yes, it´s Tarot´s block. Don´t feel as if you or the cards have to be infallible. If nothing comes to you, give it time. Shuffle. Relax. Do it later. Since, to me at least, tarot reading is a bit like having a conversation with the cards, sometimes, they don´t really feel like talking LOL

Papageno

I agree with ana luisa, you're off to a great start.

your Mythic Tarot should be able to give you a lot of guidance.
it's basis in Greek Mythology will serve you will.......that deck could be your Rosetta Stone.

Zazi

Thanks! I feel better now. I was beginning to wonder if I was just abnormal :)

Moonchild1721

I agree! I think the way you are learning Tarot is great. Maybe it's better to look through the cards and note what comes to your mind for each one before memorizing any "official" meanings.

Baroli

Now, this is just my opinion, but,.......don't memorize the tried and true traditional meanings. Go with what your heart, and your inner voice is telling you. Look at your cards and really see what is going on. Notice everything in them. Once you do, start writing them down in a journal.

Each time you deal the cards, is a new situation, a new question, a new day. Things change minute to minute. So you could deal the same card 3 times and 3 times the meaning will be different, in particular to the surrounding cards.

Btw, Welcome to AT :D

Baroli

mythos

I used to read quite well before I did a tarot course and began learning meanings. Now I am constantly confused because my intellect and memory are always trying to override my first impressions. Just keep wandering through the cards ... I loved your 9 and 10 of swords comments particularly.

mythos:)

Lillie

Zazi said:
I am a newbie to actually reading the cards and I have only tried to read for myself. Occasionally I just flip through the cards to see if anything comes to mind. I haven't really memorized any 'official' meanings. And so far I only use one deck, the International Icon Tarot.

I usually either get no connection at all, or something snide or silly (almost like the titles to the Fractured Fairytales on the old Bullwinkle cartoons). For instance 6 of cups: No Use Crying Over Spilled Milk; or Oops! Did I Do That?

Or 9 of swords: Please, don't fall on me. Please don't fall on me. Please don't fall on me...
followed by

10 of swords: Can't Be Any Deader Than That; or Oops! You Fell on Me.

The Empress was ready to hit me with her scepter.

The Page of Swords says, "Wow, I have a Sword! Now what do I do with it?"

Other cards I get nothing at all except that I like the art on this deck and I enjoy looking at the pictures.

That is so cool!

They are brilliant meanings.
A wonderful clear way of seeing the cards.

I love them.

Now you just have to learn how to apply those meanings to an actual question.

Like if you drew the 9 swords for a love reading, what does the person think is going to fall on them?
What do the swords represent that she fears?
Why can't she stop them falling?

I think it's wonderful, and I'm going to try to remember some of your meanings.

You should write a book with all 78 meanings in.
They are great.

Zazi

Thanks Lillie!

I'm glad you like them. Unfortunately I don't have meanings for all 78 yet. Like I said, sometimes I just get a whole lot of nothing when I look at some of the cards. :D Maybe someday they'll all start talking.

6 Haunted Days

Zazi said:
Thanks Lillie!

I'm glad you like them. Unfortunately I don't have meanings for all 78 yet. Like I said, sometimes I just get a whole lot of nothing when I look at some of the cards. :D Maybe someday they'll all start talking.

They will! You're brilliantly on your way already, just looking at the cards and saying what you actually see can be the best teacher ever.