Doing 'general' or no question readings with a TdM

Sulis

I've been reading exclusively with TdMs since last November and I love it. I've always used numerology and element and I think I've finally accepted that these are the decks for me - no esoteric stuff, just tarot.

BUT

I have a problem:
I have a need to read for others face to face. I've done readings about it and doing face to face readings for strangers really does seem to be the next step for me; the way forward. I really want to do it but I have a fear of it and I've worked out what that fear stems from:
In the past when I've read for others in person, most of them haven't had a question, they've just asked for 'a general reading'.
Now these have never been my strong point - I work best with tarot when I have a focus or a distinct question to answer so I think my fear is there because I suck at general readings and with TdMs I really suck at them... I just can't get a focus, especially if there are no trumps.

When I read with pip decks I tend to read the cards in groups, usually 3, 5 or 7. I look for the story, I don't really read them as individual card meanings, I look to see how they relate to each other, elements that appear across the cards, repeating patterns etc...

Does anyone have any tips about general readings with TdMs?
I have a feeling that if I crack these types of reading my fear of live readings will go and I'll have taken a huge tarot leap forward...

Edited to add: I've just started doing general, daily draws with my TdMs since I think they will help me; 3 cards in the morning then a look back at them in the evening to review the day.

Help!

Lumen

Hi Sulis,

Funny enough I just did my first general reading, and you can find it here.

Since I never read for that type of question, I simply used "general reading" instead of the question. Then I looked for commonalities in the cards (in that reading, I used 7 cards, as I find it helps to have a more detailed reading).

As you can see, there is only one major arcana, Justice, and it sets the tone for the reading. The other 6 cards were all minors, with one court, and lacking cups. So what are the common themes - that is, suits, colors, flowers, leaves, ornaments, numbers, repetition of any of the above. And the lack of commonality show me unfavorable aspects.

Read the approaches in the threads by Mel and Enrique Enriquez as they offer invaluable insights into how to read the cards, with or without focused questions.

Argenta

I am just a beginner, but here are my 2 cents:
Cent 1) I always ask for at least a very general subject: love, family, job, this summer...
Cent 2) I do tirage-en-croix a lot, as it has meanings assigned to card positions broad enough to be applicable to most issues.

SolSionnach

Sulis, here is a thread on the tirage en croix spread that Argenta mentioned above. I have no idea if this is how s/he uses the spread, and I haven't studied this thread as much as I'd like, but there's loads of good info there that can be adapted to your needs.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=95259

Luminosa

I totally love tirage en croix; it works out fine, but I do not mix majors and minors, rather use pairs majors + minors

Sulis

Hi Sulis,

Funny enough I just did my first general reading, and you can find it here.

Since I never read for that type of question, I simply used "general reading" instead of the question. Then I looked for commonalities in the cards (in that reading, I used 7 cards, as I find it helps to have a more detailed reading).

As you can see, there is only one major arcana, Justice, and it sets the tone for the reading. The other 6 cards were all minors, with one court, and lacking cups. So what are the common themes - that is, suits, colors, flowers, leaves, ornaments, numbers, repetition of any of the above. And the lack of commonality show me unfavorable aspects.

Read the approaches in the threads by Mel and Enrique Enriquez as they offer invaluable insights into how to read the cards, with or without focused questions.
Thanks Lumen, I really enjoyed your reading and I agree that maybe a few more cards (I usually do 3 or 5) are probably better when doing general readings.
I really like how Enrique reads and find it quite similar to the way I read with these decks.

Sulis

I am just a beginner, but here are my 2 cents:
Cent 1) I always ask for at least a very general subject: love, family, job, this summer...
Cent 2) I do tirage-en-croix a lot, as it has meanings assigned to card positions broad enough to be applicable to most issues.
Thanks Argenta :).
I see what you're saying about asking for a general subject to focus on but that's the problem - when I've read face to face before (using RWS based decks), I've found that people tend to not have a focus, hence my question about general readings ;).

Thanks for recommending the tirage-en-croix spread too.. I've heard of this spread but never used it - will certainly give it a go.

Argenta

Sulis, here is a thread on the tirage en croix spread that Argenta mentioned above. I have no idea if this is how s/he uses the spread, and I haven't studied this thread as much as I'd like, but there's loads of good info there that can be adapted to your needs.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=95259

That is a great thread!
I found another one somewhere around this Forum, and also used some of Sherryl's ideas from here:

http://tarot-heritage.com/2011/11/12/the-quintessence-spread/

In Jodo/Camoin's LWB there is the "reduced spread" with majors only:

1) Question which involves the querent.
2) What is around the querent, the ambience.
3) Action by which 1) and 2) can be reconciled.
4) What will be the result of 3).
5) Synthesis -- drawn as the card that comes up after adding up the numbers on first four cards. If it is already present, he suggests adding only the other three.

Good luck!

alec

Hi Sulis,

Just saw this thread - seems like you have already received excellent feedback. The only thing I can add is my own experience reading for others using the TdM.

General readings with the "French Cross" work exceptionally well. If needed, you can phrase in your mind a question like, "What's going on with this person right now?" or "What's the most important thing for them to focus upon". It's not necessary to tell them that you're asking this. Then just go with the cards. When I'm reading for a new client, I often start with a French Cross to "loosen things up a bit". The horizontal cards, left and right, give a more or less complete story as to what needs to be covered. The topmost card I generally present as "the best advice possible, as if coming from a person who has complete knowledge and no ulterior motives to the client whatsoever". This helps get me out of the role of fortune teller and more in line of co-observer for clients for which this is useful.

I love doing readings with the TdM. If I can help in any way, or if anything seems awry as you get more comfortable, just let me know.

Alec