dream interpretation help

celticnoodle

I am usually pretty good at interpreting my dreams, but some of what I dreamt recently has me a bit perplexed. so, what better place then here on AT to ask for help?

I had a dream that I was visiting my mother, (but she was living in a home I've never been to before). the house was a town house and she was the 2nd house from the very end of the unit. there had to be 6 to 8 houses joined in one unit. the building was all brick, and was apparently very close to a college, as I recall remarking about a group of college students who were jogging by on the college trail which was in front of my mothers house here.

the houses also all had a brick faced 'garden' area built up against the homes, and my mother, (in real life a real green thumb she has!) had many beautiful flowers in her portion.

I recall walking into her home and greeting her, and then turning to shut the door, I notice a hummingbird and it's 'baby' bird flying right there around one of her plants. this hummingbird then came in w/the baby and landed on my shoulder. both birds did. I immediately went back outside, with my mother and brother behind me, and an old girlfriend whom I had grown up with. not sure why they were also at moms-but the four of us went outside, and I turned to see if the hummingbirds were still perched on my shoulder.

the mama bird was, but the baby hummingbird was missing and I was frantically trying to locate it, so it wouldn't die. mama bird didn't seem to be too upset tho, and stayed perched upon my shoulder.

at this point, my sister also shows up, and we again remark about this whole bird incident and I again recall looking at the front of my mothers house and pointing to the plant i first saw the birds in. it was in front of 3 windows my mother had, one over top the other--and these 3 windows really seemed to be important somehow.

now, I know that to see windows signifies hopes and possibilities and from the outside looking at the windows, you couldn't see inside--so the windows must have been tinted. this can point to my wanting privacy and trying to remain hidden. but, when i was inside the house, looking out the window to the birds, this is all about my outlook on my life and can also refer to my intution and awareness on a decision I need to make. it can also point to my needing to do some soul searching--which i do feel i need to do and I am currently doing.

the hummingbirds suggest my flightiness, :)P yes, I admit--I can be flighty! :rolleyes:) and can also point to the ideas I have that may seem rather insiginificant can actually be quite the opposite--if I would really work with it.

bricks also relate to my thoughts and ideas.

but what significance to the joggers have in my dream? and the 'lost' baby hummingbird? and what significance besides what I already know is there to this hummingbird perching on my shoulder and staying there?

this is all I can recall on the dream, though I know there was more. I feel like it holds a special message for me, but hope that someone out there can elaborate on this for me, and helping me to figure out the total message. thanks in advance!

linnie

celticnoodle said:
but what significance to the joggers have in my dream? and the 'lost' baby hummingbird? and what significance besides what I already know is there to this hummingbird perching on my shoulder and staying there?

this is all I can recall on the dream, though I know there was more. I feel like it holds a special message for me, but hope that someone out there can elaborate on this for me, and helping me to figure out the total message. thanks in advance!

I'm not a dream interpreter, but I do look at my own dreams... I had one, in which I was in a women's circle and a beautiful bird landed in my hand, after warily circling the group, and keeping its eye on a cat that was lurking... it left small, brilliant blue-green 'scales', like moths' scales, on the palm of my hand where I'd cradled it. The reason I mention this dream here is because it was such a vivid dream and I understand why you feel there may be a message... I felt it had a message for me, too, because I felt so blessed that it had trusted me, and landed in my open palm... when I wrote that dream down, I was describing the colour of the bird, and realised that it was chrysocolla... and felt that I must work with that stone... I looked it up, and it was perfect for where I was up to...

The joggers just feel like mainstream life, chugging along by, despite your own momentously moving moments... sort of a "don't expect fanfare or even acknowledgement... people will see and do what they see and do, but feel into the message, and remain vigilant, because for YOU, it is important"

Perhaps... maybe... keep on dreaming!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps the colour of the bird holds more clues for you...

Ashtaroot

As soon as o read your post i got
The message I got is don't worry about the little details. remember the big picture. We are with you. I enjoyed our last communication.don't forget.

Sorry that is all, got cut off with my kids:/

linnie

Ashtaroot said:
As soon as o read your post i got
The message I got is don't worry about the little details. remember the big picture. We are with you. I enjoyed our last communication.don't forget.

Sorry that is all, got cut off with my kids:/

Ha... despite my previous post, I had a similar initial thought to Ashtaroot's, mine being more of a don't get bogged down and miss the world passing you by kind of thing... but then I remembered my bird dream, and the clarity of the crystal association etc, and I felt like the details were actually really important for you... hmmm...

celticnoodle

thanks ash and linnie.
no, i won't forget and yes, I will remain vigilant. There has been a lot going on this year in my life--many, many transistions and it has been difficult at times too. but, I will keep with it and keep on trekking through! :D

thanks again.

Divina

Hello here's an interpretation working through each symbol..

Your Mother - Seeing your Mum can be about relationships with friends and needing nurturing from others. She can also be about success.

The houses - Being in a house is like exploring your mind. Various components of buildings can mean various things. Lots of rooms are like the different pieces of us that come together to make up our personality.

Seeing the garden for your mother - is seeing who she is, her inner-self, femininity, who she is as a woman and really appreciating that. You probably find your mum relaxing to talk to.

The door could be the vagina, which I would also see as mother, feminine symbol it just fits in with the theme going here.

Hummingbird - Another feminine symbol. Freedom is always associated with birds. The have a magical quality and are believed to carry souls to the after life. They could also just be showing you yourself as your spiritual self as a whole. Frantically looking for the baby bird I would interpret as your looking for a child-like part of yourself it may be as simple as a fear of becoming old like your mother even though you're seeing her as I wrote above. It's a fear of maturing but also facing life as an adult.

Three- Freedom, Truth and Wisdom and a need to be brave.

Windows - Again this is about appreciation.

Now coming back to the other people. The path in the dream to the school could be a path towards learning, a path towards wisdom. The thing with the joggers is that they are not exactly running a sprint but they aren't going slowly either. They could either be anxiety or confidence depending on wether they were running to our away. Either a fear of learning something new on that life path or confidently jogging to along to gain that wisdom.

Your shoulder by the way is close to your heart and breasts and arm but it makes more sense for the bird to land on your shoulder. But both heart and breast about wisdom and the mother relationship and your arm is about compassion and commitment.

Brother - older = your extrovert self, younger = vulnerability
Old friend - Your past and memories
Sister - your emotional self, younger = rivalry, older = your coping self.

Hope this helps in some way

celticnoodle

Divina said:
Hello here's an interpretation working through each symbol..

Your Mother - Seeing your Mum can be about relationships with friends and needing nurturing from others. She can also be about success.
i did forget to mention how i interpret having my mother in my dream. she and i do not really get along with each other. rarely have actually, since i was about 14. long story there. but, i do generally symbolize my mother as my wishing that our relationship was better. We do love each other, but she doesn't 'like' me as a person--and I am always seeking that from her. to be liked as well as loved by her. We recently had a major upset between us, and it has bothered me greatly. this has been somewhat pushed aside tho, as I've been experiencing some health issues that does genuinely upset and worry my mother, so she has actually been nicer to me since this has occurred. it's comforting somewhat, but I want her to be this way to me ALL the time. not just when I'm ill, and it bothers me that it took a major health issue for her to talk to me - and be civil. so, I think that is what my mother symbolized for me really. also my two siblings as well---and the friend perhaps also. I don't really have much of a relationship with any of htem as I'd like to. it is all wrapped around issues that they just cannot let go of and it bothers me that they hold onto it.

The houses - Being in a house is like exploring your mind. Various components of buildings can mean various things. Lots of rooms are like the different pieces of us that come together to make up our personality.
this makes sense. i didn't even think of that! thanks!

Seeing the garden for your mother - is seeing who she is, her inner-self, femininity, who she is as a woman and really appreciating that. You probably find your mum relaxing to talk to.
not really. :rolleyes: as I mentioned, we don't have the best mother/daughter relationship. however, this dream may be all wrapped around my relationship w/my mother--as I'm surprised at how good she has been, and tho, I appreciate it and enjoy it and hoping it lasts, I'm not holding my breath on it. she'll soon be back to her usual self of not wanting anything to do w/me, and perhaps i am loathing the thought of that.

The door could be the vagina, which I would also see as mother, feminine symbol it just fits in with the theme going here.
i've never thought of this really. i can see where it would symbolize me willing to have a good realtionship w/the family--and esp. my mother-since she was at the center of my dream over all. perhaps it is indicating that i am willing to start anew with her--which I am and always am. however, i have to admit this time I am a bit more on the edge about it, just waiting for the relationship to fall again.

Hummingbird - Another feminine symbol. Freedom is always associated with birds. The have a magical quality and are believed to carry souls to the after life. They could also just be showing you yourself as your spiritual self as a whole. Frantically looking for the baby bird I would interpret as your looking for a child-like part of yourself it may be as simple as a fear of becoming old like your mother even though you're seeing her as I wrote above. It's a fear of maturing but also facing life as an adult.
i almost put this above, but decided to put it here. I wonder now if the two birds suggest the relationship between my mother and i. i often am and feel forgotten by her, and abandoned. sort of like the baby bird was and the mother bird didn't seem all to interested in knowing or finding the baby bird. you do make me wonder now about that.....except that my mother actually came back into my life again when she found out i was dealing with my blood clot and bone cysts. before that she could care less, and even at first she was uncaring, then something changed and now she is actually being very nice to me, which I am thankful for.

Three- Freedom, Truth and Wisdom and a need to be brave.
I don't think I've ever heard this before. freedom, truth and wisdom. hmmmm...have to think on that.

Windows - Again this is about appreciation.
I do appreciate the effort she is putting forth to call and check on me.

Now coming back to the other people. The path in the dream to the school could be a path towards learning, a path towards wisdom. The thing with the joggers is that they are not exactly running a sprint but they aren't going slowly either. They could either be anxiety or confidence depending on wether they were running to our away. Either a fear of learning something new on that life path or confidently jogging to along to gain that wisdom.
this i can see, now that you mention it. thank you! I believe i am anxious more then fearful of the spiritual path I was/am following. yes, this does make sense the more i think on your idea here.

Your shoulder by the way is close to your heart and breasts and arm but it makes more sense for the bird to land on your shoulder. But both heart and breast about wisdom and the mother relationship and your arm is about compassion and commitment.

Brother - older = your extrovert self, younger = vulnerability
Old friend - Your past and memories
Sister - your emotional self, younger = rivalry, older = your coping self.

Hope this helps in some way
interesting on the way you see the brother and sister too--they are both older. the friend, yes, definately the past and memories. she had a tough life, and lived with us for awhile too. not an easy life over all, and we were always very close till her parents passed away. i often think of her. searched and found her years ago, but she really wanted to leave her past behind, including any person associated with her past- sadly. I still think of her frequently. so the old friend is definately about the past and my memories of growing up with her.

thank you, divina. it has helped to read your thoughts on my dream. I think now, over all it is about the relationship I have with my mother and the realization that though we are currently getting along, it can change again. all relationships change and not always for the better and I just need to accept that.

MagsStardustBlack

Hi CN!

celticnoodle said:
I had a dream that I was visiting my mother, (but she was living in a home I've never been to before). the house was a town house and she was the 2nd house from the very end of the unit. there had to be 6 to 8 houses joined in one unit. the building was all brick, and was apparently very close to a college, as I recall remarking about a group of college students who were jogging by on the college trail which was in front of my mothers house here.

I recall walking into her home and greeting her, and then turning to shut the door, I notice a hummingbird and it's 'baby' bird flying right there around one of her plants. this hummingbird then came in w/the baby and landed on my shoulder. both birds did. I immediately went back outside, with my mother and brother behind me, and an old girlfriend whom I had grown up with. not sure why they were also at moms-but the four of us went outside, and I turned to see if the hummingbirds were still perched on my shoulder.

Hi CN!

The feelings that came to me when i read about the humminbird mother and baby were that you still may feel loss or grief from the relationship with your mother through childhood through adulthood. No matter how well we adapt to the breakdown of a relationship, there may still be alot of sadness, not being able to understand in full the 'WHY'.

The loss of the baby bird to me represents you, being lost from your mother, and the mother bird not being bothered by this may be that you have always felt unloved in a way by your mother, or feel that she didn't make the most of you, her daughter.

I feel CN that this dream is a dream of loss, a lack of childhood or a loss in how you would have liked things to be with your family. Having your family all together there seems that in the dream the feelings of family love and the innocent and pure love of a child and parent and siblings is something that you needed to feel.

The students could also represent youth and you, bringing you back to your youth around the time that the relationship broke down. They were jogging by - away from your mothers house representing the distance that grew between the two of you.

And you did not recognise your mothers house, this could mean that you did not feel apart of her home her life, maybe you felt her home was not your home or you were not welcome there.

Generally i feel that this dream is directly related to how your mother made you feel CN. I don't really go on dream symbolism, sometimes i don't think dream symbols are universal.

Maybe you have been feeling vulnerable lately or have been feeling a little out of your own body, staring into space. Are you happy with where your life is going, are you content in your personal relationships and how your studies/hobbies are going, do you feel a little lost or lack of direction????? Have you been thinking about your mum, is it aproaching a related birthday, aniversary??? Have you been thinking of your past, the 14 year old girl you were??

Just an idea CN, probably all wrong, please feel free to say that it was a load of rubbish if it is. Very interesting dream though, complexed.

xxxMags

celticnoodle

MagsStardustBlack said:
Hi CN!

The feelings that came to me when i read about the humminbird mother and baby were that you still may feel loss or grief from the relationship with your mother through childhood through adulthood. No matter how well we adapt to the breakdown of a relationship, there may still be alot of sadness, not being able to understand in full the 'WHY'.

The loss of the baby bird to me represents you, being lost from your mother, and the mother bird not being bothered by this may be that you have always felt unloved in a way by your mother, or feel that she didn't make the most of you, her daughter.
yes, this is true. I do always ask "why" and I also feel the baby bird represents myself and the mama bird my mother.

I feel CN that this dream is a dream of loss, a lack of childhood or a loss in how you would have liked things to be with your family. Having your family all together there seems that in the dream the feelings of family love and the innocent and pure love of a child and parent and siblings is something that you needed to feel.
yes, i can agree with this too. it has always been an important thing for me to have family--a loving family--all close. this friend lived with us for a very long time as well--and so she is like family--a sister. to me family is very important and yet it upsets me that we are not so close together--all of us now.

The students could also represent youth and you, bringing you back to your youth around the time that the relationship broke down. They were jogging by - away from your mothers house representing the distance that grew between the two of you.
interesting thought.

And you did not recognise your mothers house, this could mean that you did not feel apart of her home her life, maybe you felt her home was not your home or you were not welcome there.
yes, this is true. I'm not really welcomed anymore in her home--she made that perfectly clear to me the last time i visited. she told me to never come back, and that really bothered me. though she has often thrown me out of her house and it always hurt, this last time really bothered me to no end. it was like the final straw i guess. and perhaps because i had brought my daughter and granddaughter down to visit with me. perhaps it was having them there witnessing it all that made it the final straw for me.

Generally i feel that this dream is directly related to how your mother made you feel CN. I don't really go on dream symbolism, sometimes i don't think dream symbols are universal.

Maybe you have been feeling vulnerable lately or have been feeling a little out of your own body, staring into space. Are you happy with where your life is going, are you content in your personal relationships and how your studies/hobbies are going, do you feel a little lost or lack of direction????? Have you been thinking about your mum, is it aproaching a related birthday, aniversary??? Have you been thinking of your past, the 14 year old girl you were??

Just an idea CN, probably all wrong, please feel free to say that it was a load of rubbish if it is. Very interesting dream though, complexed.

xxxMags
yes, very vulnerable to be honest. always have been w/the family. I'd do anything to keep the peace, and as a result made myself into the scapegoat that got most of the battering. not physical mind you--but emotionally.

since last June when the awful upset occurred, I have felt a bit loss and have felt as if I am in a black hole trying to find my way out again. it has not been a good year for me. :rolleyes: so, I think between all of your responses, it has really hit the nail on teh head and I can understand the dream more. since last June, I've also done my best to move on in life w/o my family at my heels. finally brushing them off and trying to not 'miss' them. I had always been there for them whenenver they asked, but it has not been the same for me when I asked them for help. and, last June, i realized that i do not need them in my life save for wanting them and wanting to have a great big happy family life together.

i had always dreamt of me having them close through out my life. having them come to visit us - just to actually visit and have a good time. not only when they need something or need a place to stay while they do other things. i dont' like feeling like the inn keeper with them, but often am just that.

perhaps I am still that little 14 yr. old girl inside struggling hard to make sense of it all and this is what that dream was all about. still trying to find my place in my family and wanting them near but not because they need something--because they WANT to be close and friendly. that is all i wanted.

thank you for your input. and, re-reading my responses i think "sheesh, i sound really messed up!" gosh, i am not really, i just cannot understand what happened to my family. why we grew apart? I'm the only one who moved far away, and as soon as I did, it was if i truly stepped off the face of the earth for them. they often forget us. the relationship w/my mother at times does get better, (if the relationship is only via the phone), but as soon as I come back into town to visit--it plummets again. if I'm back to do a favor, it is not too bad--only when I go to purely visit does it seem to plummet. why can't we all be happy and visit each other? why do they only seem to want me around when it is beneficial to them--when they need something that I can/will provide for them? that is what I am having to come to terms with.

though i know many families are like this and as the children grew up and became adults the family unit often 'falls apart' i just cannot see why it happened here. truly my mother doesn't have that close a relationship w/my siblings who all live close to her. they only go over to her home when 'they have to' and that is so sad to me. it's as if it's all a show. they do get together for parties and such, but when I really look at my family--my siblings don't really 'talk' to each other. they only seem to come together when there is an occasion to celebrate and this is really sad to me.

thanks for all the input here. has really helped me to understand the dream. i thought at first it may be about my feeling spiritually halted since the major upset w/the family occurred. but, i think it is more that i need to figure out the why my family and i are so far from each other emotionally and my feeling 'abandoned' by them, especially my mother.

MagsStardustBlack

((((hugs))))

Hi CN,

Glad we were all able to help in a way. The thing is, you definatly don't sound messed up, i'm sure while you are in a waking mind state you are very stable and contented. The thing with dreams is they mess us up and after a strange dream it can mess us up for days. They mess our thoughts up so that anything that had been bothering us or been locked away, is forced to the front of our mind so that we can think about it and try and work through it, to enable us to understand things better and feel more at peace with our worries, sorrows and fears. Well that is just one aspect of dreaming. Well i haven't read any massive books on dreaming but it is something i have a strong connection with - is dreams, and the night and the way in which dreams manifest.

I feel so bad for you CN about your relationship with your mother. I understand as me and my mum have had a very similar relationship. We get on fine now since my daughter was born but before that it was hellish. And i was such a sensitive, good, kind child and teenager. Anyway that is a very long story indeed - i will pm you that one! But as it turned out she had clinical depression for years - eventually sought treatment and is much calmer and happier in herself now, well she is WELL again! But she was unballenced for about 15 years of my young life.

I wonder if your mother now feels so guilty about the past that she feels it is to late to make it up to you and there forth manifests her feelings in continually pushing you away. I don't know, i don't know the situation or your mum.

But i understand how you feel, and sometimes things we would wish would stay burried resurface and you have to find the reason why. Maybe all your mothers issues have resurfaced with her, and it has been on her mind the way she was with you when you were young. Maybe you are picking up on her feelings and thoughts intuitively or psychically because you are connected mother and child. Maybe she is worried about her health and that is why everything is resurfacing. Or CN maybe you are worried about your health.

You have your daughter and granddaughter, they are your children, your family, even though you would love to share them with your mother, you don't need to because they are yours, your special, beautiful little creations. And it may be better of that you keep them away from your mum at the moment and if she carries on to be this way with you.

I always feel the loss, with what happened with me and my mum, even though we get on well now. The subject is never brought up as she can't handle and never could - open feelings. I have always been open with my feelings and i think that caused alot of problems. If she was horrible to me i would say 'why are you like this, why are treating me this way', that made her worse. I think a daughter is the more cherished special little person in the world and i would sooner kill myself than treat my little girl the way i was treated.

I wonder if you just need to have a good talk with your daughter and a big sob and hug with her. Sometimes that is all that is needed to acknowledge a dream. Put the feelings to rest again. Concentrate on your children and grandchildren and try and accept that things with your mum are the way they are. And at the end of the day she may have big problems that she is dealing with alone - out of her own choice probably, and that like you said you were the scapegoat. You can't fix her CN, and maybe she doesn't want to be fixed. But you can fix yourself honey.

BIG HUG xxxMags.