Dressing differently to read

nikkipeachy

TB that is gorgeous!

I wear long hippie skirts almost daily, so my normal clothes really fit the "gypsy" look already. I just had a tarot party a couple nights ago, and wore my favorite basic long black dress (totally normal for me to wear it on any given day). I did put on a pair of earrings, but that was the only difference.

People in my area usually want the stereotypical looking reader. I always answer the "Do you dress up?" question with "No, but I look like a hippie/gypsy anyway."

magpie9

I think it's so completely a personal choice. Where I read, we have people who dress up for it, and one who doesn't, at all.. I do, much more often than not. I used to "gypsy up" every time, but this year I'm a bit more casual, mostly due to the extreme summer heat. Even when I'm not all done up, I go for Exotic...the store I read in is very caravan to the east belly-dancer tribal hippie dreads artiste pagan exotic anyway, and while jeans an a kurta work fine, casual business attire would be a bit much! My normal clothing tends to be pretty exotic, anyway, I would have to work to put together business casual and it would feel like a disguise.
There's a couple of photos of me gypsied up in the aeclectic people photos thread..sorry, I can't give more accurate directions.
For street fairs and parties and such, I always dress up. To the Teeth. Lots of color, lots of jewelry, lots of fringe and full skirts and scarves and all that Jazz. For special occasions an antique top hat as well! When I started reading, that's just what you did. I think people like it and expect it....in my opinion, it is professional wear for tarot readers.
Bottom line is to be comfortable, and not feel like a fake because of your outfit. It should help you, not hinder you!

ThunderWolf

I don't read in person, so it isn't an issue for me, but I suspect that may be an Ohio thing. I've gotten numerous readings from others in Columbus, and business casual seems to be the norm here. :)

Seven Pelicans

What an interesting thread!

I can't imagine myself either in "gypsy" or in business casual (not even totally sure what that means -- imagining khakis & polo shirts?)

Since I am in Berkeley, hippie is not too much out of the ordinary ;) but I go for a more contemporary look -- sort of casual party dresses, for lack of a better way to describe it. Fashion-relevant, but not trendy. There is hardly any black in my wardrobe, & I made a conscious decision that there would be no velvet anywhere in my business. As some folks have already said -- it depends on your clientele & your own personality. For my clients I think the gypsy/velvet/hippie thing would be more of a turn-off. More important though, it's not who I am.

The one thing I do always wear is a necklace of lapis lazuli beads. Not long after I decided to go pro I had a series of strong dreams that made me realize lapis would help me do this work.

SunChariot

Thank you so much everyone! Even though I don't read in person I know that i would not dress differently if I did. I know some people really do. And I have always been curious as to why.

I have found this very interesting too. Thank you all for sharing and to anyone else who wants to commment on it. :heart:

Babs

Grizabella

What an interesting thread!

I can't imagine myself either in "gypsy" or in business casual (not even totally sure what that means -- imagining khakis & polo shirts?)

Since I am in Berkeley, hippie is not too much out of the ordinary ;) but I go for a more contemporary look -- sort of casual party dresses, for lack of a better way to describe it. Fashion-relevant, but not trendy. There is hardly any black in my wardrobe, & I made a conscious decision that there would be no velvet anywhere in my business. As some folks have already said -- it depends on your clientele & your own personality. For my clients I think the gypsy/velvet/hippie thing would be more of a turn-off. More important though, it's not who I am.

The one thing I do always wear is a necklace of lapis lazuli beads. Not long after I decided to go pro I had a series of strong dreams that made me realize lapis would help me do this work.

I wear lapis a lot and also garnet rainbow moonstone and turquoise. I have a great big sterling silver wide cuff bracelet with a hunk-sized piece of Carico Lake green turquoise set in it that's my precious signature piece of jewelry. It was given to me by a dear friend and I wear it almost constantly.

Mellaenn

OK, first I have to say that pin is quite stunning, Tarotbear! I would absolutely wear that every chance I got.

I think the mode of dress does depend on where you read (what city and/or what part of the country) and your personality. I love to dress up and it's also very 'in' to dress a little dramatically if you read tarot here in South Florida. I happen to love the gypsy/hippie look; hey, it's worked for me for 40 years, why not for tarot? But for some parties I do dress pretty much like a guest to the party, only maybe a little of my more exotic jewelry.

Interesting how everyone approaches it differently. :)

Grizabella

OK, first I have to say that pin is quite stunning, Tarotbear! I would absolutely wear that every chance I got.

I think the mode of dress does depend on where you read (what city and/or what part of the country) and your personality. I love to dress up and it's also very 'in' to dress a little dramatically if you read tarot here in South Florida. I happen to love the gypsy/hippie look; hey, it's worked for me for 40 years, why not for tarot? But for some parties I do dress pretty much like a guest to the party, only maybe a little of my more exotic jewelry.

Interesting how everyone approaches it differently. :)

Remember that old poem about "when I grow old, I will wear purple and learn how to spit"? Well, I'm old enough that I can wear what I want to wear and not really surprise anyone or care very much who doesn't like it. lol If I go to a wedding or something, I won't wear all black and a silver pentacle but other than that, all bets are off. :p

intuition897

It's interesting to see all the different perspectives on this. I haven't officially "hung my shingle" yet, but I have done a couple of charity events and a party. The two charity events, yeah, I dressed up. One was a Halloween fundraiser so a costume was expected, and the other was another fundraiser where I could've gone in jeans and a t-shirt, but - hey! - I like any excuse to dress in costume. Word to the wise: make sure you KNOW that you have a tent for the day before wearing heavy black velvet from head to toe on a scorching hot day.

I didn't dress in costume for the party. I just wore something nice that I would've worn to the office. I can't remember what it was, dressy jeans and a nice shirt I think? In all both the fundraiser cases I gave the clients the option of me showing up in costume if it would help the atmosphere. I didn't ask for the private party.

Private Tarot

Good advice from all above!

When I am reading i dress in dress black pants, socks and shoes, a white shirt, colorful and expensive vest and bow-tie, pocket watch, etc.

When doing events and corporate shows I also wear a Victorian overcoat and a Derby when I arrive. Also have formal gloves in reserve for special black tie affairs.

Look the part! :)

Here's a link to the full look for professional shows:

http://www.arcanusmagickus.com/ProShows.html

Enjoy!