During readings who/what is in control ?

When doing a reading who (or what) is in control ?

• The deck controls the outcome.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • An inner power controls the outcome.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • A balance between the deck and an inner power control the outcome.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Its a higher power controling the outcome.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • None of the above; its a random outcome perceived to be (in)valid.

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lion-O

Hi guys/girls,

Now, I could be mixing up some facts here but if I am not mistaken then I posted a poll like this quite some years ago. Back then it led to some interesting discussions and even though I can now, 4 years after, still participate in some threads which occured somewhere back then I haven't seen this one around.

And because I'm quite sure the forum has quite a bunch of new visitors I'm trying to get a new poll starting. Ofcourse hoping I'm not making a mistake and overlooking something with regards to holding polls in this particular forum but so far all is well :)

So, for the record, where does the thriving force come from when you're doing a reading ? Personally I really don't know. When looking at my results with the Mage deck and my somewhat better results with the Waite deck I'm enclined to say that the force comes from within. After all; you are the person doing the reading and in a way you will also have to 'weave' the story together. BUT... When shuffleing you're hardly in control, there is a random factor (or, lets not exclude it, a higher factor) which also has a big say in all this. When looking from that perspective I can't say this to be a one man show. So... What do you think ?

Annabelle

I didn't vote, because none of the answers fit how I feel about tarot readings.

My belief is that the reader, the querent, the cards, the question, and the environment control what cards turn up - along with a bit of complete random chance. I don't quite know how to explain it clearly; I believe that there's a dynamic in play, an energy between reader and querent that is very important.

In any event, I don't believe that a higher power or "universal force" or spirit guide is controlling the cards.

rainwolf

Well I put 'inner power' because that came close to what I thought was the right answer:

The questioner's choices.

There's some ambiguity to that question so I think youre going to get a lot of conditional statements.

SunChariot

I was in the majority. I said a higher power. But in a sense also it is our own inner power that lets us connect to that higher power and understand what it is saying. In my case anyway, the higher power does not speak in words in the sense of my hearing the asnwer in my ear. So let's say right answers are sent to you by the higher power, but it is out own inner power that lets us decipher the images and understand them as the higher power meant them to be understood. It is I guess a meeting of the two.

Babs

Tarotphelia

I think the question itself is flawed. Why do we assume anything is "in control" or "out of control" ?

I feel like issues of power and control reflect our own concerns .

Grizabella

I didn't answer in the poll. I think I'm in control of the reading itself and that the real question for me would be "where does the information really come from?" But I can't really accurately answer that question except to give my theory that the images tap into my subconscious wisdom that I don't otherwise have the ability to tap into at will.

Sophie

I'm with those that say it's not about control or power over outcomes.

When I read the cards, they are laid out before me, and I tap into the information that comes to me from all sorts of sources - memory, learning, logic, intuitive leaps, "inner knowing", flashes of insight, little voices, etc. etc.

It's a quantum experience: the reading comes together because there are cards laid out and a reader to observe and describe them. It's not about control, but about energy gathering around a certain event (the reading) to create it.

Indigo Rose

God is control.

:love:

Eco74

Control?

Such a strange word to be used in this context...

For me it's like looking in a mirror, or taking a walk outside looking at trees and breathing in all the smells, or like dreaming.
It's a natural thing though a little more intense since it's something I focus on when I shuffle, lay out and interpret the cards.

But control?
I don't feel that to be a good enough word to explain it since to me, it's all woven into the same fabric and all dependent on everything else.
The tapestry of life if you will...

Indigo Rose

Eco74 said:
Control?
Such a strange word to be used in this context...

For me it is based on a belief that God is in control of the answers being given in the readings. I may be in control of my perceptions and the questions I ask, but I believe the ultimate answer is from God. One personal reference for me is Proverbs 16:33 "The Lot is cast into the lap, but it's every decision is from the Lord."

Peace
:heart: