EEK Cockroaches!!!

nicky

I think this is the way to go.
And for the record, I love this idea. Like, a LOT. I <3 bugs.

And ... uh... this might be a little weird, but if you want to do analog in stead of digitally manipulated images- I collect insects, and I have a beautiful preserved roach you're welcome to put little overcoats and spats on, or pose with a monopoly dog (fool?) he's sterile and collected from a natural insect preserve- bred for scientific observation and not harvested illegally. I haven't mounted him yet, so he's still sealed in his little package and everything. :)
yep, I'm a strange cat. But if you're making a deck all about roaches, dare I say you must be too! lol!

OH my I would love to see him if you could upload a picture - we could have such fun!
And he would be immortalized :)

starlightexp

You know you have very little sewing skills. Is your Professional Spirit Guide (TM) going to be showing you how. I will admit it could be fun

Pandora MoonRaven

Have been in similar situation and have been told they like it clean! Seriously.

OK so little known fact of me. I am a bug lover. I used to own and breed over 100 species of tarantulas and 50 species of scorpions. I have authored articles on the subject for the American Tarantula Society of which I was once Secretary and Editor. Also for the British Tarantula Society. In that time I used to often "raise" my own food for them including cockroaches.
Roaches are highly photo sensitive and therefore do not like light. So they tend to be in places we think of as "dirty" because we do not clean those places often such as under the sink or fridge. They also need pretty high humidity which can be found in the same areas. They therefore pick up a large amount of bacteria that they transfer to various areas. They also carry disease. They are very strong (ever try to squish one with a shoe? good luck!).
However when they are "kept" they do not do well in dirty conditions. Food has to be cleaned up quickly and such. The only smell I ever got was if I left food in too long and it rotted. They love fresh veggies and fruits and CANDY! They really like sweet stuff. When the habitat would get too dirty they would start to die. So no they do not do remarkably well in "dirty" conditions. They also groom themselves often like little cats.
They are very social and many people that have had the large ones as pets will tell you that over time they will get used to you and you can handle them.
In other countries some women actually stud the large ones with jewels and paint and wear them as jewelry, pinned to them on a little leash. Louie Roachtton.. HAHA.
Maybe I can dig up some pictures of my roaches. There are so many different kinds you could incorporate. A deaths head one might be neat on the death card. :eek:)
I saw mention of the egg case on the female..this is true as well. Also if you frighten her to the point of thinking she is in a life and death situation or if you kill her she drops the sac from her body and the babies will still live. So there is some information for you on roaches. HAHA.

Pandora MoonRaven

Well I can't find pictures of me holding them..*sigh* but here are a few of them. I names them all Jacques. So there is like Jacques 5, Jacques 275 etc. HAHA. Feel free to use any part of these. :eek:)

Attachments

• Jacques.jpg
    Jacques.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 113
  • Jacques275.jpg
    Jacques275.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Jaques.jpg
    Jaques.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 100

Bhavana

OK so little known fact of me. I am a bug lover. I used to own and breed over 100 species of tarantulas and 50 species of scorpions. I have authored articles on the subject for the American Tarantula Society of which I was once Secretary and Editor. Also for the British Tarantula Society. In that time I used to often "raise" my own food for them including cockroaches.
Roaches are highly photo sensitive and therefore do not like light. So they tend to be in places we think of as "dirty" because we do not clean those places often such as under the sink or fridge. They also need pretty high humidity which can be found in the same areas. They therefore pick up a large amount of bacteria that they transfer to various areas. They also carry disease. They are very strong (ever try to squish one with a shoe? good luck!).
However when they are "kept" they do not do well in dirty conditions. Food has to be cleaned up quickly and such. The only smell I ever got was if I left food in too long and it rotted. They love fresh veggies and fruits and CANDY! They really like sweet stuff. When the habitat would get too dirty they would start to die. So no they do not do remarkably well in "dirty" conditions. They also groom themselves often like little cats.
They are very social and many people that have had the large ones as pets will tell you that over time they will get used to you and you can handle them.
In other countries some women actually stud the large ones with jewels and paint and wear them as jewelry, pinned to them on a little leash. Louie Roachtton.. HAHA.
Maybe I can dig up some pictures of my roaches. There are so many different kinds you could incorporate. A deaths head one might be neat on the death card. :eek:)
I saw mention of the egg case on the female..this is true as well. Also if you frighten her to the point of thinking she is in a life and death situation or if you kill her she drops the sac from her body and the babies will still live. So there is some information for you on roaches. HAHA.

Fascinating. In the bar I worked at, we had one of those little under the bar shelves where we kept shot glasses...and there was a small flourescent light fixture over it...and I remember those shotglasses and the area around them was overrun by the littlest roaches. Teeny tiny, maybe just hatched ones. Probably the glasses had residue on them from the booze, maybe they were eating the sugar...but they didn't seem to mind the light.

Eeek...tarantulas. Thank God my brothers, who were into snakes and lizards, never got into the spider thing....but my best friend's brother was, he had a tarantula named Agnes. I always felt sort of bad for her, he kept her in a plastic aquarium that wasn't much bigger than she was.

I like the idea of the dirty glass instead of cups, the box of Borax for death - or even a pic of a Roach Motel - "roaches check in, but they don't check out" - or a can of Raid with a few belly up dead roaches around it....so many funny ideas.

Lillie

I saw the roaches in the party hats and I pissed myself laughing.

Too good.

nicky

working with the Queen currently ... it has been a fine balance to get her rouge and lips correct and not lose the face...

Attachments

• Queen of Cups.jpg
    Queen of Cups.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 123

starlightexp

Ahh this card begs to ask the question that has plagued tarot artists since the dawn of photoshop….. Should you have kept the human hands... I LOVE this card.. The love that radiates from her.. the warmth and feeling... stunning

Barleywine

Love that 3 of Cups, it looks like a roasted cockroach salad! I've had a soft spot for roaches since I played the computer game Bad Mojo, where you got to be a bug and avoid getting squashed or eaten. I once had an art school friend who would trap the roaches in his apartment, paint their carapaces bright colors, and turn them loose again. He had jeweled cockroaches running all over the place. Today the ASPCA or PETA would probably find a way to crucify him, but it was funny at the time.

vee

Oh my god I cannot stop laughing at the roaches in the party hats. Amazing.