Elemental Dignities... Neutral Cards?? Ill Dignified Cards??

Frannie

Hi Mary, sorry, I forgot the rule :D
Frannie said:
Here is my new take on the cards:

Frannie said:
3 of Pentacles + 5 of Swords: Hostile enviroment at work: X

2 of Cups + 7 of Cups: A too passive and ungrounded relationship: +++

2 of Cups + 3 of Pentacles: A passive relationship born at work: ++

5 of Swords + 10 of Swords: Excess mental activity due to a deceit will leave the person feeling exhausted and hopeless: +++

7 of Wands + 2 of Cups: Incompatible relationship due to quarrels: X

Now it is ok?

Teheuti

Frannie -

You are letting judgments get in the way of raw information. For instance,
2 of Cups + 7 of Cups: A too passive and ungrounded relationship: +++

Strong feelings are indicated here: +++
But why TOO passive? The passive & receptive qualities are strong but maybe that's okay. You've certainly got the right idea about the meaning but are implying a judgment that's unnecessary at this point.

I'm not sure where you got ungrounded from. It is certainly a possibility but we don't have any information about groundedness from these two cards alone.

Using GD meanings here are a few possibilities:

Illusory Love
Marriage promises unfulfilled (only dreamed of?)
Temporary pleasures that may not last
Dreams of love
Romantic fantasies
Content with an illusion

All of these remind me of 'falling in love' and romance. It makes me think of indulging in romance novels, or lost in a romantic movie, or the almost perpetual state of some boy-crazy teens! It could indicate that someone has just met their "dream lover" and that over time it could deepen into something more, or not. From just these two cards we only know that it's a strong feeling even though it may not have much lasting power by itself. Still, this is the way that many relationships begin.

It's obvious that cards of the same suit can easily suggest excess if unchecked by something else in the spread.

In some cases they seem to speak definitively as the 5 and 10 of Swords which almost yells "absolute defeat." Still, in that case, I'd look to see if something else in the spread suggests a new birth or new direction opening up.

MareSaturni

My take!

3 of Pentacles + 5 of Swords ~ Weak pair
Competition is hindering the work's progress.

2 of Cups + 7 of Cups ~ Very Strong pair
Excessive fantasy and idealization in a relationship.

2 of Cups + 3 of Pentacles ~ Strong
Two people in a relationship are building something practical together.

5 of Swords + 10 of Swords ~ Very strong
Someone is turning a defeat into a catastrophe.

7 of Wands + 2 of Cups ~ Neutral
Small fights in a superficial relationship.

So...was i okay? *nervous*

Thanks for this exercise Mary!

~Marina

Frannie

My goodness what is WRONG with me!! I can't make it!! :(

Teheuti

miss_yuko said:
2 of Cups + 7 of Cups ~ Very Strong pair
Excessive fantasy and idealization in a relationship.
As per my comments above you might just say "LOTS OF fantasy and . . ."

7 of Wands + 2 of Cups ~ Neutral
Small fights in a superficial relationship.
This set is actually weak (contraries). Small fights in a relationship makes sense, but what makes it superficial?
These two cards epitomize active-repulsion versus passive-attraction, effectively canceling each other out. Mathers wouldn't read them at all.

Nevertheless, here are a couple of GD-based interpretations:
Courage (or valor) in opposing love
Loving valor
Restrained force in pleasure (velvet restraints?)

There's really no right or wrong about these.

The rest are nicely put together.

Teheuti

Frannie said:
My goodness what is WRONG with me!! I can't make it!! :(
Don't despair. Your examples weren't wrong at all. I just try to make statements about the cards that are not good nor bad in themselves but rather depend on the context, needs and goals of the person. I was only trying to point this out. Very Strong can easily be taken as excessive, but that's not necessarily the case.

Also, I usually try several different interpretations on for size - rather like a drawing that uses lots of sketched lines until the form starts to take its shape and then the lines that work best are made more definite.

MareSaturni

Teheuti said:
This set is actually weak (contraries). Small fights in a relationship makes sense, but what makes it superficial?
These two cards epitomize active-repulsion versus passive-attraction, effectively canceling each other out. Mathers wouldn't read them at all.

Nevertheless, here are a couple of GD-based interpretations:
Courage (or valor) in opposing love
Loving valor
Restrained force in pleasure (velvet restraints?)

Thanks for the ideas Mary! I guess i thought 'superficial'...because i think cups is a 'deep' cuit, and then with it being neutralized, the relationship wouldn't be so deep...guess i'm not making sense o_O

Anyway, i think you ideas fit much better than mine. I believe it takes a while to just...get it...make ED something more natural.

I'll keep trying :)

~ Marina

Teheuti

miss_yuko said:
Thanks for the ideas Mary! I guess i thought 'superficial'...because i think cups is a 'deep' suit, and then with it being neutralized, the relationship wouldn't be so deep...guess i'm not making sense
Actually, that makes a lot of sense.
The 7 of Wands and 2 of Cups are each ill-dignified (by the other) so a point can be made for seeing them as operating at their weakest.

Even though I mentioned "courage in opposing love" the effort would be very weak and ineffectual. Personally I see it as a push-pull, attraction-repulsion situation that can't get resolved on its own.

Psychologically, within one individual, I would personally see it as one part of the self wanting to put up walls while another part of the self wants to make overtures of love. The weakness is that this inner paradox is often unacknowledged (even within the self) so mixed messages are sent and there is lack of clarity in both the person and whoever that person is relating to.

frelkins

Teheuti said:
3 of Pentacles + 5 of Swords
Earth & Air are enemies. x weak, both cards are ill-dignified and unstable. in the context of the question they could be canceled, blocked, delayed. If an Air-type question, the Air rips into the supporting earth like a tornado and leaves a gash of destruction; if an earth-type question, well, some tree branches might end up in the street. Creation, surrender. "It may be a bad day at work, you might not be in a position to keep some idiot from blocking your project so you may have to regroup today and try again tomorrow. And check the spec again, because there might be an error."

Teheuti said:
2 of Cups + 7 of Cups
Water & Water are friendly, they support each other, both are well-dignified. Passive, no change, long-lasting situation. +++ very strong, esp. if it's a relationship question. Romantic Love, a lot of choices. "This week you're the belle of the ball. Each guy you dance with seems like Mr. Right. But don't get carried away by flattery. Look for the one who really cares for you as you."

Teheuti said:
2 of Cups + 3 of Pentacles
Water & Earth, they are friendly/neutral, ok diginity, passive and long lasting. this combo to my mind depends on the question. the earth could be the strong bed supporting a lovely pond, or you could be dumping dirt into clear water, making mud & confusion. Romantic love, Creation. Let's assume a nice question so the interp could be "You and that new boyfriend of yours are creating the foundation of what could be a long-lasting relationship. Keep up the good work."

Teheuti said:
5 of Swords + 10 of Swords
Air & Air, they are friendly, but active, maybe too active & even unstable, short-term! they speed each other up, this could be a gale force wind depending on the question so you might need to batten the hatches. could be +++ very strong or ++ strong, depending on how you determine how fast everything will happen. Surrender, bottoming out. "Ok, your enemy may have got you in a bad place, and frankly, it seems like in this battle you're toast. But one battle's not the war! You can regroup. This could pass quickly. So don't let yourself get down and be prepared to pick yourself back up when the circumstances change and the dust settles."

Teheuti said:
7 of Wands + 2 of Cups
Fire & Water. Enemies. x weak. Both cards are ill-dignified. Unstable. Depending on the question, could cancel, weaken, delay, block each other. . or explode. If this is a relationship question, the fire "falls" into the water, to my mind, and with water on the side, is a bare ember, if it survives at all. On the other hand, with a wands-type fire question, we've got fire under the water pot and fire on the side, it's boiling steam time! She's gonna blow, cap'n! Defensive(ness), Romantic Love. In a relationship question, I might say "Watch out for the brief lover's quarrel. Someone's gonna get defensive, but it won't be too serious, in fact it'll blow over in a moment and you'll both be laughing, wondering 10 minutes later what that was all about. Still, if you see this start, you can avoid it. Ask yourself how tiffs like this start and why."

Ok, Mary, how'd I do? :) I really appreciate the time you're taking here!