Elemental dignities

WolfyJames

I read in a few books that air and fire hang well together but that fire and water + air and earth do not not hang well at all. While the physical occurance is true, you can extinguish fire with water, astrologically, IMHO, it does not hold at all.

Fire and water belong to the emotional type while air and earth are cerebral. Air and earth hang well together because they both are methodical, organised, think ahead and both are usually scared of emotions and will avoid them if possible, will avoid the dreadful subjects (anything emotional of course). In the other hand, both fire and water are impulsive, passionate, compassionate and both are anti-organisation and anti-planification taking them as anti-romantic, anti-impulsivity (for them impulsivity is a must, if you're not impulsive there is something wrong with you), especially fire who can't stand anything that involves staying still too long, engagements.

Because of this, I can't agree with GD's point of view about the relationship between the elements. My life experience and my knowledge about astrology contradict them. Beside, when I read, I can do it MY way and not follow GD's way. I just ponder if I'm the only one who disagree with it or not an if yes how and why.

frelkins

As you know, lots of people differ on this, even on how many elements there are. You just have to work through a system that's useful to you. It's your reading after all! :) Think different. I mean, there must be at least half a dozen ways to do it that you find on the net with google. Why would anyone of them be better than yours? :)

starrystarrynight

That could be why many people feel that astrology and tarot are two different cans of worms.

I go with frelkins here...whatever works for your way of thinking is the way to go. No right or wrong methods in tarot...

Tiro DvD

The GD is dealing with Elements in an off themselves, and if they are to be attributed to anything it probably would be alchemical or kabbalistic. Also the elements of the Tarot cards are only astrologically associated with the majors and even then that is through their attributions via the Hebrew Alefbet and Sepher Yetzirah.

So when you are dealing with Fire and Water not mixing it is just that. It is the (philosophic) Forms of Hot Dryness and Cold Wetness that don't mix, and not Fiery Signs and Watery Signs don't mix.

tarot4fun

WolfyJames said:
I can do it MY way ...
That's Right! :D

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the elements. Having various ways of using/seeing the elements is helpful.

Suz

Gazel

Yes - You're so right

WolfyJames said:
Fire and water belong to the emotional type while air and earth are cerebral. Air and earth hang well together because they both are methodical, organised, think ahead and both are usually scared of emotions and will avoid them if possible, will avoid the dreadful subjects (anything emotional of course). In the other hand, both fire and water are impulsive, passionate, compassionate and both are anti-organisation and anti-planification taking them as anti-romantic, anti-impulsivity (for them impulsivity is a must, if you're not impulsive there is something wrong with you), especially fire who can't stand anything that involves staying still too long, engagements.

Actually, reading your take on the relationship between Water and Fire helped a lot in a reading I did today, especially on the dynamics between Princess of Cups and Prince of Wands - which seem to be quite opposites, said mildly.

I am slowly beginning to understand how elemental dignites work, reading a few books on the subject, but your take made me realise that I shouldn't take it all too literally.

The PsoC is about romance and romantic passion, while the PoW is about sexual energy and power (And a lot of other stuff off course - though in this particular reading that's it, I think) But the Princess relly needs the Prince if something is about to happen, if only a spark of his energy.

So, to say that they just can't get along would mean that nothing would happen, at all - period. I don't think thats the case, regarding the other cards, which I will not mention here ;o) That would be too long a disgression.

So thank you very much for opening my eyes to yet another view on the elemental dignities topic.

yours truly,

K. Gazel.

Indigo Rose

WolfyJames said:
I read in a few books that air and fire hang well together but that fire and water + air and earth do not not hang well at all. While the physical occurance is true, you can extinguish fire with water, astrologically, IMHO, it does not hold at all.

I see your point and I agree on some level. I think all or nothing approachs rarely hold true. However, you bring something forward that clicks with me regarding ED's.

Fire and Water=Emotional types..

Fire tends to burn hot and fast....water runs deep and works it's ways slower, for the most part, than fire. In this way, water can slow fire down...making a fiery spirit feel dampened. Or the reverse, a slow moving water spirit....seeking depths and passive movement can be arouse to boiling or steamy emotions in the presence of fire.

Air and Earth=Mental types...

Air is rapid, flowing, and not rooted...earth is slow, solid, and completely rooted. When air hits earth, it can unloose the fixed elements and bring the earth up from the ground...swirling it through the air; making it active. In the reverse, earth can be thrown into a vent hole blocking all air movement...earth coming down on air makes it stuck and inactive; which can eventually choke the air out and suffocate it.

Looking at these two enemy combos, we see they aren't necessarily enemies. Actually they just show the differences in expression of the emotions and thoughts, active versus passive; and it shows the potential conflict or irritation when combined. However, these combos are necessary. They unloose fixed states, or calm down unstable states...they can work very well together when wisdom and understanding is applied. :)

:heart:

Goat of Mendes

WolfyJames said:
Fire and water belong to the emotional type while air and earth are cerebral.
The way I look at it, even though Fire and Water are emotional, they are at opposite ends of the spectrum. The usual end result is tension. Fire types are usually so violent, and explosive when compared to the placid and quite Water types.

Air and Earth may both be cerebral but their characteristics are diametrically opposed. Air is rapid, changeable, and fickle. It never sticks at anything for long. It gets bored easily and hardly ever stays the course. Earth is slow and methodical. It has a clear direction and sense of purpose, and plods on to the bitter end.