Empty houses

starhermit

My natal chart has my planets clustered in only a few houses (the 1st and 2nd, and the rest in houses 10 to 12). So visually, almost all the houses on the left side of the 'pie' are filled. The only 'planet' I have otherwise is my north node in the 7th house, but I don't suppose this really counts :)

Is there some sort of astrological significane that I am so heavily weighted towards one side of my chart but not the other?

isthmus nekoi

There would be a strong concentration of energy into the houses involved. Bob Marks says that a chart like yours is "left handed" which indicates someone who is more internally driven and has to take initiative to make things happen. It is not uncommon however for people to be so heavily concentrated into one 1/2 of the chart.

Macavity

(with the indulgence of the more knowledgable) I offer:
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/aspects2.html
since it was a question I was contemplating recently... ;)

Reluctant as I have always been to purchase such things, this is even explained (along with much else) in my recently acquired "Astrology for Dummies"... I knew I should have been as astrologer! })

Macavity <- A "locomotive" apparently!

Fulgour

and too...

I wonder if you may have any intercepted signs as well?
If for example, Virgo is wholly contained within a house
beginning in Leo and ending in Libra, that is known as
an intercepted sign. (Given based on my natal chart.)

intercepted sign: A sign that does not appear on a
house cusp but is wholly contained within a house.

starhermit

Macavity said:
(with the indulgence of the more knowledgable) I offer:
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/aspects2.html
since it was a question I was contemplating recently... ;)

According to that site, my chart is a bucket lol. And the one lonely planet is the bucket handle and "assumes extra importance".

My "handle" is the north node in Cancer retrograde. What does that mean then? I can definately say that I'm not very Capricorn-ish in that I am quite emotional and when I read sun sign descriptions of Cancer (love Linda Goodman!) I sound more like Cancer than Capricorn lol

Originally posted by Fulgour I wonder if you may have any intercepted signs as well?
If for example, Virgo is wholly contained within a house
beginning in Leo and ending in Libra, that is known as
an intercepted sign. (Given based on my natal chart.)

intercepted sign: A sign that does not appear on a
house cusp but is wholly contained within a house.

Fulgour, I have HEAPS of intercepted signs! In fact they are all intercepted... all my Virgo signs are in my 10th house which begins in Virgo and ends in Scorpio, my Scorpio planet is in Scorps, my Saggie in Saggie, Capricorn in Capricorn, and Aquarius in Aquarius.

Crikey! Haven't noticed this before! What do intercepted signs mean?

Fulgour

Intercepted SIGNS

The link here shows "Jack's Chart" with the two "intercepted signs"
=click on=
of Aquarius and Leo. Aquarius is in the 1st House, which begins in
Capricorn and ends in Pisces ~ completely enveloping Aquarius.
Likewise, Leo in the 7th House, is wholly in-between where that
house begins in Cancer and ends in Virgo. Thus, "intercepted."

There are 3 different house systems commonly used:

House: One of the twelve mathematically derived sections (houses) of a horoscope, each of which represents a particular area of life. The size of a house and the zodiacal degree that appears on its cusp depend upon the house system used.

Equal House horoscope: One in which twelve equal houses are derived by taking successive arcs of 30° each, beginning with the Ascendant and completing the zodiac circle. An alternate method bases the house cusps on the Midheaven rather than the Ascendant.

Placidean houses: The house system devised by the Spanish monk, Placidus de Tito (seventeenth century). Placidus' system, still widely used today, is based on the trisection of nocturnal and diurnal semi-arcs. The time it takes from each degree of the ecliptic to rise from the lower meridian to the horizon (nocturnal semi-arc) and to rise from the horizon to the upper meridian (diurnal semi-arc) is adapted to space.

Koch, Dr. Walter: The German astrologer who developed the Koch or Birthplace system of houses.

Edited: "fixed" sources link
http://www.astrology-numerology.com/glossary.html

dadsnook2000

Which house system?

Two issues:

First, many would consider the Campanus House System to one of the more popular approaches in addition to the three noted.

Second, most astrologers (students, accomplished and many professionals) seldom give a thought to which house system they should use for a given chart or problem. There have been threads previously posted on the various systems and their suggested applications. Someone may wish to pursue them before adopting or reccommending a particular system. Dave.

starhermit

Re: Intercepted SIGNS

Fulgour said:
The link here shows "Jack's Chart" with the two "intercepted signs"
=click on=
of Aquarius and Leo. Aquarius is in the 1st House, which begins in
Capricorn and ends in Pisces ~ completely enveloping Aquarius.
Likewise, Leo in the 7th House, is wholly in-between where that
house begins in Cancer and ends in Virgo. Thus, "intercepted."

Ahh ok I see what it means to be intercepted now. Had another closer look at my chart, don't think I have any intercepted houses! :)

My chart was drawn up for free by www.astrology.com a long while ago (about 3 or 4 years?). However it does show that my 12th house has Saggie on both cusps, and my 3rd house begins and ends with Aquarius and Aries respectively. Not sure where Pisces has gone, hmmm...

I believe the chart was drawn using the Placidus system, as the words "TROPICAL PLACIDUS" are at the top of the page.

I'm glad I have a basic working understanding of astrology, otherwise the glyphs on this very detailled chart would've driven me bonkers!

(edited to properly quote Fulgour)

Fulgour

nothing accomplished

dadsnook2000 said:
First, many would consider the Campanus House System to one of the more popular approaches in addition to the three noted.
Second, most astrologers (students, accomplished and many professionals) seldom give a thought to which house system they should use for a given chart or problem. There have been threads previously posted on the various systems and their suggested applications. Someone may wish to pursue them before adopting or reccommending a particular system. Dave.
This is just "all pointing and no directions." But I guess you know that.

:(

dadsnook2000

For Folgour

A simple search on the keyword houses brings up quite a listing. One of these is "Different House Systems" initiated by M-Press. In that particular thread I noted several different groupings of house systems and what operational areas they might best be applied to. This is a deeper thread on house applications than any that has appeared on AT and probably deeper than that covered in most astrological texts.

There are other threads that cover areas of the above mentioned thread in a lighter or shorter manner: "Choosing a House System", "House System", and "Houses?" I'm sure with a few minutes of your time that other threads in which other AT members participated would also yield helpful information. But definitely review the first mentioned thread and the comments within that thread that I made.

Dave.