ending my deck lust phase?

cardlady22

I have had to make sure I don't buy decks on my wish list until after the exchanges are completed. I got to feeling antsy & a bit forlorn because I found great deals on a couple of decks that weren't on the list . . . but now I'm realizing that no other decks are grabbing me- just the 16 or so I've been wanting for the last few months. Am I at a point where I will only pick up decks that have yet to be created?

One part of me feels sad, but a deeper part feels peaceful and content. I scan down my collection list and am glad to have each one: very convinced that I have a couple of decks for each mood that might strike me.

ETA: Counting back, I think I've gotten 8 decks this month. I don't think I'll go back looking at previous months! I might really startle myself.

lark

My deck lust phase ended a few years ago..and it was kind of sad, but the content feeling did settle in and I've been pretty happy getting just a few decks a year since.
16 decks on your wish list?! Wow, I only have about 4 on my list and two of those I'm still not sure I want.
You know what facinates me...all the different deck I see people buying that I've never even heard of before...where do they find them all???
Must be a lot of searches going on.

cardlady22

lark said:
16 decks on your wish list?!
:laugh: In my defense, 8 of them are not released yet- although the two by Ciro are just about ready for ordering!

And two of the in print ones will be re-acquired, not new to me.

lark

Oh hon it's OK LOL..I'm a little jealous I don't think I could find 16 decks I like enough to put on my wish list.
I look I yawn I go do something else...just not that excited about anything that's coming out lately.
I't's probably not the decks it's probably me....

Astraea Aurora

Hi cardlady22,

I know what you're talking about. I can't say that I have all the decks that I want, my wish list is still quite long, but I know the feeling nonetheless. From time to time I get into a shopping frenzy and then I have to cut back due to lack of money. The time after the cut back doesn't feel nice but at the same time I feel I can do it, I'm pacified and contend with the decks I have. I use the restrictive time to work with my older and newer decks and try to get to know them as best as possible.

Then along came the Tarot of the Sweet Twilight and my peace is gone ...

Astraea Aurora :grin:

emmsma

I'd call that progress. I only have a few things on my list now. Maybe one or two that are not yet available - need to go edit list, lots of fat to be trimmed.

Its very nice to be at a point where you aren't lusting for more than you can get. When I was getting 3 decks a week, I didn't even have time to use them all. not even time for an interview. And that felt like too much.

I think I am slowing down as well. I just have to be wary of jumping on a new name/image without doing a real thorough exploration before purchase.

Make errors in judgement when I rush and am impulsive.

poivre

I haven't got any decks for a while...I needed a break.
Sometimes we need to let go of wanting more when
we always have enough. When I get going again...
there will be quite a few I'll be ordering...just have to get
back in the mood.

BTW...if you ever get into
"ending of book lust phase"
remember to let me know! :)
Yes, I'm still looking for the book. :D

ros
:)

Le Fanu

lark said:
You know what facinates me...all the different deck I see people buying that I've never even heard of before...where do they find them all???
Must be a lot of searches going on.

I always think this. I mean, I always think Im pretty much on top of tarot decks and publications, but every thread has decks mentioned which Ive never heard of. But I can safely say that if a deck was ever going to grab me, then Ive heard of it and Ive bought it.

It may sound crazy, but I don't actually have a wish list. There is nothing that Im anxious to buy when funds permit or whatever. There are some, like the Place Vampire Tarot which Im on the fence about, but I certainly don't desire it strongly and with each passing day, the desire to own it recedes.

Then there are the new releases. But for me, a wishlist is for things which you could buy if you wanted to and don't for whatever reason, (usually lack of money?) when the Tarot of Dreams MM comes out, I'll buy that. But decks like this are not available right now so they're out of my hands anyway..

But I really don't have any decks I crave. I look at amazon, alida, Tarot Chest and really... nothing...

But despite all the decks I own, I can't help thinking that owning a lot of decks really does make one's tarot journey somehow fuzzy and unfocussable...

Mellaenn

This is a good topic; I can really relate to much of what everyone has said. I only have about 25 tarot decks and maybe 20 oracles But I did just go through a little buying spree culminating in my purchase of a wonderful deck that I really, really love - it's so awesome and I adore it so much that the desire for everything else is anti-climactic - which is a good feeling!

Doesn't mean I don't peek over at the Tarot Trading Thread but I do watch the de-enabling thread now more than the enabling thread.;)

However, I must admit I have one deck that I would buy if I could find it for a good price....:eek: Maybe I'll be lucky!:D

lark

Le Fanu said:
I always think this. I mean, I always think Im pretty much on top of tarot decks and publications, but every thread has decks mentioned which Ive never heard of. But I can safely say that if a deck was ever going to grab me, then Ive heard of it and Ive bought it.
I do too, I mean I'm here a lot and privy to anything new that comes along I think, and then people find these obscure decks I've never heard of before....
Just amazes me how much is really out there...most of which I'll never own or see...I do check them out, but almost always I'm not tempted to buy at all.

But despite all the decks I own, I can't help thinking that owning a lot of decks really does make one's tarot journey somehow fuzzy and unfocussable...
I very much agree with this, I never was able to really put it into words like you just did, but yes, that is how it makes me feel.
Like when I have to many I can't get to know them in a clear way and then my tarot work feels unfocused.
And clear doesn't even have to be reading with them...even with enjoying them for the pure art...I don't feel I know the art on them intimately either if I have so many I can't spend the proper time looking through them.
I feel more content and focused now that the lust is over and I have settled into a comfortable, companionable, life partnership, with my decks of choice.
With a few new ones showing up from time to time.
And a few going the way of trade and sale.