Etteilla Tarot III

coredil

As a lucky owner of an original Etteilla III
(though trimmed and uncomplete, see thread www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=110310)
I would like to mention two things about the LS edition.

1. the pictures of the cards of the LS edition are smaller than the pictures of the original edition.
All pictures in the original edition as well as in the LS edition have a slightly different size
original: about 51 mm x 115 mm (including picture frame)
LS: about 48 mm x 102 mm (including picture frame)

2. The pictures of the LS edition are slightly cropped.
The proportions of the pictures have not been 100% kept.
The pictures of the LS edition have been made slightly larger.

Here an example:
Card number 18 TRAITRE
Original 51 mm x 115 mm
LS 48 mm x 102 mm
A little deductive math will show you that the LS picture is slightly larger than the original.
It is not much but one can see it just looking at both cards.
But hey, who can live compare with the original ;)

Otherwise the quality of the LS deck is nice :)
I do not own the Dusserre edition

Sumada

I agree with Coredil - you can't beat an original deck. I am fortunate enough to have two examples :) the oldest one can be seen here - https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/sumadas-treasure-box/sets/72157634149140002/
I also have a Dusserre for general use, and it is more of a satin textured finish compared with the high gloss of the newer ones. If you want an older Dusserre look for one without a barcode on the box.
I do not own an LS version.

debitutchi

Coredil and Sumada: WOW! You can't beat the original! Those colors and images are fabulous, and the cards show a lovely patina. All treasures, no doubt about it!

Its nice to know the older Dusserre publications are a little less glossy. I'm so curious about the current LS Book of Thoth tarot, some posters say its very glossy, some posters say not at all…I wonder which editions of the LS BoT are which? I know there has to be at least two versions, because there are at least two different card back designs.

Penthasilia

I think the colours are richer in the LoS. It is more recent so it's like the printing feels more up to date and sharper, captures more subtlety. It captures well the atmosphere of an old deck. I'm so used to the LoS and got the Dusserre afterwards so it always feels ever so slightly off. It's a tiny difference in colour really.

And I am the opposite- love the Dusserre and dislike the LoS. The card stock of the LoS is more matte and easier to shuffle. But for me the images are better on the Dusserre- they look more like the old deck, size wise they cover the whole image better as well.

The biggest bonus is the book- which is so much better than the LoS. Really, other than the fact that it is slightly more glossy and slippery- in all ways the Dusserre is my favorite.

But then, I started with that one and later acquired the LoS- and quickly put it to rest in a cupboard.

debitutchi

I just ordered the GRAND JEU DE L'ORACLE DES DAMES George Regamey Alberto Peruzzo version off of eBay…I will update with my impressions when it gets here!!

Yay!!

debitutchi

George Regamey "Grand Jeu De L'Oracle Des Dames" by Alberto Peruzzo Ed.

Just got it! Here are my impressions:

The card sizes are smaller than a standard tarot deck size (almost 2cm less in length and a 1cm less in width) Cardstock is a very matt finish, cards are thin, papery, flexible and easily shuffled. For those who like a smaller card size, this one is pretty nice in the hands. All card titles and divinatory meanings are in French. (Fun to learn some new words!)

Will be interesting to compare it to the LoScarabeo Book of Thoth...

debitutchi

Eww!! The new Lo Scarabeo edition of Book of Thoth has random trump cards in BLACK-AND-WHITE! How horrible! I have had two decks now, just to make sure it wasn't an error in just one. There isn't any logic to it at all, and it looks like a horrible printing job. How did this get through quality control????

Yelell

Eww!! The new Lo Scarabeo edition of Book of Thoth has random trump cards in BLACK-AND-WHITE! How horrible! I have had two decks now, just to make sure it wasn't an error in just one. There isn't any logic to it at all, and it looks like a horrible printing job. How did this get through quality control????

What?? Where? I've looked at scans before, but I don't remember black and white cards. I've had this on my maybe list for a while now but 'horrible printing' makes me rethink :mad:

debitutchi

It must be only the newest printing of this set, but yes! The birds and fishes, the wheel of fortune, and some other majors are black and white! the color seems off for all the rest too (just slightly) DISASTER!!! I need someone to give me their extra old version!!! ;_)

Le Fanu

Can you post scans or pics? I'm finding it hard to visualise :bugeyed: