expensive decks what do you do with them?

nisaba

Briar Rose said:
You bring a little bit of joy into my life for a brief moment these days. I remember you made me laugh a little the other night. I thank you very much!
<bows deeply> I got yelled at very severely by my best friend last night. This is a little bit of an antidote - thank you.

nisaba

JennyNY39 said:
Tho, yesterday my son's girl brought a friend over, and she went crazy when she saw my decks. Her and her mother are very into tarot, but only have one deck. Well, not anymore! They now have 6!
<grin> Isn't is wonderful when people are so happy to receive? It's such a good feeling to watch the looks on their faces!

Open Arms

With the exception of my Divine Legacy deck - all of my now expensive decks I got at the normal prices years ago and now they are OOP etc they are now worth more (I think I paid about $40 each for my VRG and BGS for example and got them direct from MRP)

I suppose all up I have about 30 decks (including oracles) and I use all bar about 4 of them. I keep them in individual bags inside a larger bag and I reach in and see what slips into my fingers. Sometimes I go looking for a particular deck, other times its pot luck.

I took all my decks out a few weeks back to show a friend and her partner the variation in decks and styles and when I passed them the VRG they loved it...until I told them how much it was worth (They asked) - then they were afraid to touch in case they damaged it. So I went ahead and read for them with it - it called to them and the reading was spot on.

It doesn't matter how much you pay for a deck - the cost means nothing - its what you get FROM the deck that is important and when you pick up a deck the first time and it ZAPS you - no matter how much or how little you paid, you will never forget.

Promise

I read with all my decks, regardless of price or current value. My Greenwood goes everywhere with me, and my Legacy of the Divine (LE) gets shuffled mindlessly quite a bit because I just love the way it feels. My Vieville has been battered, but I just call it part of it's character...it's been loved.

If I'm not going to use it, then I don't see the point in paying a ridiculous amount of money for it. The Greenwood was a gift, so I can't really use it as an example, but the Legacy I paid out of pocket for. Why pay almost $400 for a deck just to have it sit there and look pretty? Might work for some people, but not for me; I'm a reader first and foremost, not a collector.

That being said, I do try to be careful with all my decks, no matter how much they're worth. Clean hands, no fresh lotion, clean surfaces on a spread cloth, no drinks nearby, etc. Although they're just paper with pretty pictures on them, they're tools, and I want to keep them usable.