Explaining Tarot to Your Spouse!!! Or Why We Tarot

What does your significant other dislike or not understand about why you Tarot.

• Too many decks....you can only use one or two at a time right?

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Too much money spent on decks.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Too much time spent on AT/on-line forums talking to "strangers"!

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Another free reading??? Time is money! Charge 'em!

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Okay, so if you spend all this time and money studying Tarot what will you have in the end?

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • What can you see in cards that would actually help anyone, anyway???

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Spiritual path??? A deck of cards???

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Other

Votes: 17 36.2%

• Total voters

Satori

I've been reading for years and years now. And still the husband doesn't get it. I'm not alone right? Right???!

I've done readings for him, and some of them have been predictive and most of those have happened the way I interpreted the cards...except for some of the details...but overall successful reads. And still he crosses his arms and says it is a useless pursuit.

Now don't get me wrong. He is a nice guy.

My question to you is what would you say/what do you say to your own significant other(s) ;) about your Tarot passion.

What advice would you give to those significant others? And what advice would your more understanding so's have for my own husband???

starrystarrynight

I had to vote "Other"...

Significant-otherless here; however, I'm old and bold enough today that if I ever were to hook up with someone again, he would either have to be willing to learn and accept--or have a few things to teach me! :bugeyed: hehe.

Satori

This post/poll was inspired by my listening to Jeannette on the Tarot Connection btw. I listened to her podcast interview, done last summer and I was so fired up after listening to her that I put up this thread.

I was just thinking as I was listening to her talking about Tarot from a non-readers perspective that if she could just say what she was saying to my husband he might get it!

I re-read my first post and laughed because I was thinking you will all think I'm married to a jerk, because hey, Jeffrey Dahmer was nice right? And he still killed a bunch of folks.

LOL, so my husband is nice, just not into Tarot.

I think I wonder if someone else presented it to him he might see Tarot thru a different lens. And maybe that is the flaw in my thinking. I may need to accept that he might never get it or like it.

But I'm still interested in the poll.....;)

Grizabella

I don't have a significant other, but I've certainly been through all those things with every one I did have except my last one, only it wasn't about tarot, it was about books, about art supplies, about everything you can imagine that I liked and spent time with and got more of. My advice is: just don't fight it. Let him wonder and ask questions--it's part of who he is. If you quit trying to answer him, maybe he'll just get tired of it and either try to learn more about it or just go away. :p Or find something of his that corresponds and ask him the same questions.

But anything that's opposed is going to just get stronger, so the best advice is to just stop trying to explain yourself to him.

Apocalipstick

If my s.o. can't deal with my interests, too bad. Heh. Actually, I think it's more along the lines of, we're in this relationship together so we might as well respect each other's inclinations, and agree to disagree on some things, if it comes to that.

Imagemaker

I guess I'm lucky in that I've had absolutely no negative comments about my AT activity, my deck collection, or my tarot interest from my husband. He makes no comment at all, in any way.

And that's fine. I'm reading, buying, and surfing in total joy!

mollymawk

I'm widowed, but tarot was never an issue. Then again, we were both pretty magical people in inclination.

If you've got a good relationship, I reckon it's okay for somebody to not 'get' your hobbies, and vice-versa. It's just something you do. Doesn't mean you don't love them (unless you're spending so much time on aeclectic that you only have ten minutes a week together--now that would be a problem).

wumpkie

My other half doesn't really have a problem with me reading my Tarot cards or writing in this forum (apart from when he wants to use the computer) Though he does have his "Please stop talking you're boring me" look when I go off on a tangent about it.
I have to admit though, I do exactly the same when he talks about anything sci-fi related for more than ten minutes.
I suppose we both have different hobbies and interests and if we were exactly the same how boring it could be. Luckly though he does believe in most things, he just doesn't want me going on about them.(I think it could be because I'm a woman :D)

connegrl

Well the poll would be hard to do because more than one apply. Tarot is one of those things my DH has a few hang ups about. He tries not to and he knows why he has the hang ups he does. Has nothing to do with an interest or hobby of mine. No....it was one of those negligent tarot readers when he was a child. Told him after doing a reading for his mom that his Dad would die of a heart attack when he was 55. Now why would anyone tell that to a child??? When his dad was 58, he finally let go of the worry.

Anyway, he gets on me a bit when my spending gets a bit out of control. Someone should remind me sometimes that the visa bill actually needs to be paid. LOL And he's downright nervous about me reading for others. But he does ask about what ever deck he might see me studying at night. If he sees an image that catches his interest, he asks about it. There is some teasing that goes on, but I tease him about fantasy baseball. Its all in good fun. He's never going to have the same interest that I have. And he tries really hard to be supportive and accepting, even when it makes him nervous. So be it.

Jen

thinbuddha

thinbuddha's wife on tarot: ¡Ay! ¡Pinche brujo!