Exploring the Cary Sheet

kwaw

Could the feminine features of the Bishop/Pope indicate a 'boy bishop'? [Associated with Saint Nicholas Day, Massacre of the Innocents and Feast of Fools]. The investure of a boy bishop is first recorded in Switzerland in the 10th century but spread through many parts of Europe, it was especially popular in England [after Norman invasion] and Germany but also took place in France and North Italy and other European regions. Also involved in these December/January festivities was the mock whipping of children to remind them of the massacre of the innocents [related perhaps to the devil of this cut sheet with its children in a basket - or perhaps again relating to the companions of St. Nicholas, such as Krampus, who punish the naughty children before Christmas, as opposed to the 'good' children who will recieve presents].

Attachments

• Boy%20bishop%20image.jpg
    Boy%20bishop%20image.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 175
  • boy-bishop.jpg
    boy-bishop.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 170

kwaw

le pendu said:
As for the Devil, I think dating the sheet based on that would also be difficult, although I DO think it might be a hint to the origin. I can't find any old images of the devil with the basket on his back, the only similar images I ever found were the ones that I presented of Krampus.. and we know those are relatively modern.

Krampus can be found in Switzerland, Austria and Lombard alpine regions from the latter half of the 16th century [earliest record 1555], and I have seen no evidence so far that would contra-indicate the possbility that the sheet could date from a period as late as 1550-1600 rather than 1500-1550.

Kaplan mentions that some people have suggested that Switzerland could be the source of the TdM pattern, stating that what these people have failed to take into account is that many French cartiers emigrated to Swiss regions for tax purpose, by which I take it he suggest the French cartiers took the pattern with them. However, when tax laws relaxed many of these French cartiers returned to France, and it is just as possible that they returned with a pattern they found, rather than took, there?

Kwaw

kwaw

le pendu said:
The first thing I notice when looking at the sheet is that the cards have no number or title. Compared to other early decks this isn't too unusual, but when you consider how similar many of these images are to the TdM (Tarot de Marseille) it is notable. With the exception of a few cards found in the Sforza Castle, all other TdM cards have the title and number as far I know of.

But it isn't a deck, it is an uncut sheet, the process of production is not complete. At what stage in the process were numbers added? There are several examples we can reference that appear as if the numbers were added later in the process, that is, they weren't imprinted from the woodblock. They also appear in odd places, that is, not in a place that appears to have been designed to hold them, such as a cartouche in the border. The Geofroy, not only the first deck with printed numbered majors that we know of, but one following the TdM ordering, belongs to the latter half of the 16th century [one of the few facts we can be relatively sure of, as it is dated 1557]; being among the first we know of, we should not expect that at that time it is standard, and that there were still decks being produced in the latter half of the 16th century without numbers or titles. Even if it does become standard in the latter half of the 16th, it is not likely producers would throw away their existing woodblocks to accommodate such, perhaps for its greater appeal to an export market, rather they would use existing ones and add the numbers later in the process; untill such time as their existing woodblocks wore beyond commercial use, or the market for titled and named decks had proved profitable enough to make it financially viable, would they commission new woodblocks with numbers and titles incorporated.

Kwaw

kwaw

kwaw said:
Although the crayfish is most likely in its connection here with the moon to relate to the sign cancer; it could also, possibly, be a visual pun to refer to Lombardi [which also has the meaning 'crayfish']

Kwaw

For example, Giordano Bruno makes a pun on Lombard and crayfish.

Kwaw

kwaw

kwaw said:
For example, Giordano Bruno makes a pun on Lombard and crayfish.

Kwaw

THE. You, Mister Prudenzio, are too prudent; let us leave, I beg you, these discourses in grammar, and take count [of the fact] that this reasoning of ours is a dialogue: for four persons as we may be, we shall be two in functioning, namely, to propose and to reply, to reason and to listen. Or to make a start and to report the business from its beginning, come 0 Muses, and inspire me. I am not talking to you who speak in puffcd up and haughty verse in Helicon, [12. A mountain In southern Greece, regarded as the home of the Muses.] for I doubt that you might not pity me in the end, when after having made such a long and tiresome pilgrimage, traversed such perilous seas, tasted such tough customs, there comes the need to go barefoot and one soon returns home naked, because there is no fish for the Lom- bards. [13. A play on the word Lombardi which also could mean crayfish. The meaning of the phrase is that nothing is to be gained.] I allow that you are not only strangers, but are also of that race of which a poet said:

There was never a Greek clean of malice.
[14. The quote is a Brunian fusion or confusion of two lines in the Morgante of the Rcnaissance poet, Luigi Puld (1432-84).]

Moreover, I cannot fall in love with something which I do not see. Others, others are those who have captivated my soul. To you others do I address myself, you gracious, gentle, soft, tender, young, beautiful, delicate beings, blond tresses, white cheeks, rosy faces, delicious lips, divine eyes, breasts of enamel, hearts of diamond; with your help so many thoughts I put together in my mind, so many affections I collect in my soul, so many passions I generate in my life, so many tears I shed from my eyes, so many sighs I emit from my chest, and so many flames I spark from my heart; to you O Muses of England I address myself, inspire me, help me, scold me, enkindle me, prompt me, make me flow, and turn me into sweet juiccs, and make me resemble not a small, delicate, formal, short, succinct epigram, but an ample and copious vein of long prose, flowing grand and bubbling; and let my currents go forth not as from a narrow pen, but as from a wide canal. And you, my Mnemosine [goddess of memory], hidden under thirty seals, and closeted inside the gloomy prisons of the shadows of ideas, sing a little in my cars.

Giordano Bruno
THE ASH WEDNESDAY SUPPER
LA CENA DE LE CENERI
Translated with an Introduction and Notes

by
STANLEY L. JAKI

Italics Jaki's notes. Bold my emphasis

Kwaw

venicebard

(Till now I’ve been lurking, but) can’t the Cary sheet be carbon dated? Kwaw and Pendu point out the high-waisted gown went out after 1500: my guess is, three-quarters of the way through the 15th century, and heavy French influence (or French origin), this based largely on costume—very satisfying, since this also agrees with what Marco and Ross said concerning furnishings.

My take on LaLune is that the dogs disappeared when the towers were miniaturized, but whaddoo ayno (the site with the reconstruction of trump XVIIII [edited to correct: trump XVIII] said the dogs are there, and I thought I could almost make them out). Shelter from the hounds would be the original meaning of the symbol by bardic reckoning: Q-quert-apple, called ‘shelter of the hind’ in the Book of Ballymote. I can’t see the cow in the Tower, but if it’s there, might it have something to do with (but that’s another story) . . .

Interesting about ‘Crayfish’ Lombard: it could also mean a bard played by the character-actor Herbert Lom, could it not?

(That is all.)

kwaw

venicebard said:
my guess is, three-quarters of the way through the 15th century, and heavy French influence (or French origin), this based largely on costume—very satisfying,
(That is all.)

?? Must read through again, I thought N. Italian fashion [comparisons made for example with the clothes in the painted decks of the D'Este and V/S], renaissance in fashion, as in other things, arrived later elsewhere in Europe, so these fashions can be found in other countries, but of a later date.

????
Kwaw

TemperanceAngel

This is my favorite thread I have read in the past 24 hrs. visiting AT.
I think I may just print it off :)

Thanks!

le pendu

Moderator Note: A side discussion was started on this thread regarding Death's scythe in historical context.

I've moved the posts on this subject to their own thread as the topic is very interesting, but not related to the Cary-Sheet itself.

The new thread:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=919091