Faded Citrine.

Lillie

I have a citrine crystal. (pointy bit on one end, rough bit on the other)

I got it about a year ago and I picked one that was nice and dark yellow.

Well now it isn't.
It's faded or something.
It's all pale and wishy washy.

All it does is sit on a shelf. And it's not in strong sun or anything like that.

Do they all do that?
Is it possible that it will ever 'un-fade'?

Oh yeah. And it has got maroon spots on it.

It's odd. It never used to look like that.

I am puzzled by it.

Papageno

it's been treated (and poorly at that). a lot of stones are now treated in some way. a shame.
normally quartz is not photosensitive and the color will hold true forever. some gems like Kunzite are naturally prone to fading over time and you should avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight.
someone else complained several weeks ago about a stone fading, same problem. a damn shame.

crystalwoman

Lillie said:
I have a citrine crystal....one that was nice and dark yellow....Well now it isn't. It's faded....Do they all do that? ....Is it possible that it will ever 'un-fade'? Oh yeah. And it has got maroon spots on it.

Your citrine was heat treated, and not done very well either, and now it's fading and going through another transformation - but don't worry - it could become a really striking beauty!

Most dark yellow or orange citrine found on the market is purple amethyst that has been heat treated in a heating chamber to make it turn yellow. Actually, even yellow citrine straight from the earth is amethyst that changed color from heat within the earth. But natural citrine from the earth is a more natural shade of yellow. Sometimes crystals are dug up from the earth that are part yellow and part purple and then they are known as Ametrine (a very powerful healer !!!)

Those maroon spots in your stone are mineral inclusions of raw iron or manganese, and possibly even some titanium as well. They are what gives the amethyst crystals their violet and purple colors - the colors can 'bleed' through the stone like a wash of water color and stain the stone purple. Once heated at very high temperatures the manganese and other inclusions fade and bleach out, leaving the stone orange or an unaturally bright yellow.

The bright yellow isn't going to come back now, not even re-heating it will bring it back. But if you soak the stone in water for several days the remaining maroon spots may begin to bleed their purple color or a purple-brown color back into the stone. Look at them with a high powered magnifying glass and you may see what looks like little threads of color growing outwards from the spots. Those threads might even grow and become like little sun-bursts of gold colored rutile (I have one here at home doing that right now). If the stone becomes part violet and part yellow it will be ametrine and you'll have a highly desirable healing stone in your possession.

Trismegistus - I apologize for contradicting you but ALL quartz crystals are capable of changing their color naturally or of being changed by man-made means. ALL quartz will fade under excessive sunlight or bright hot electric lights, and amethyst and rose quartz are the most susceptible to bright light or heat.

There are many, many other stones besides quartz that will break down or change color or bleach out from exposure to bright light or heat - and iron pyrite (fools gold) will actually vaporize into sulphuric acid.

Whitestar

I have a question about fading...it's a peridot, not citrine, but since we are on the topic :)...I was wondering if anyone ever had some peridot fade, is this normal and is there anything that can be done about it???

Thanks
Whitestar

crystalwoman

Whitestar said:
I have a question about fading...it's a peridot, not citrine, but since we are on the topic :)...I was wondering if anyone ever had some peridot fade, is this normal and is there anything that can be done about it???

Thanks
Whitestar

Peridot is a relatively soft stone on the MOHS scale and it too is susceptible to fading if left in excessive bright light, and subject to cracking if exposed to high temperatures. If the peridot has been color enhanced from soaking in colored oils then the color will fade after awhile, especially if it is jewellery that gets worn all the time. i.e. - a color enhanced peridot ring that gets worn while washing dishes or shampooing your hair will eventually lose its' colored oils through its' pores. Color enhanced peridot that is in contact with the skin will also lose its' color due to skin acids leeching the oils out of the stone.

Whitestar

Thanks for the info., crystalwoman!

Ruby7

Just wondering, Crystalwoman, where did you get all your information on stone treatments?

All the best,
Ruby7

crystalwoman

Hi Ruby 7 - I'm really sorry, I've been very remiss on this crystal & herb forum by not introducing myself properly. I did post a brief introduction just to say hello on the greetings forum but I guess I should have posted something more explicit here because this is where I've been spending most of my time. I'm afraid I have a bad habit of just barging into forums and start tossing out crystal advice and information left, right and center and people don't know me from a hole in the ground. So I apologize for that, and later on tonight or tomorrow I'll post a proper introduction here on the crystal forum and tell about where I'm coming from and going to with the crystals, and how I learned all about it. Thanks for reminding me.

Leleii

Crystal Woman, Are you from the Wise Woman Forum? I learned alot from reading your posts in the Crystal Section of that forum. Welcome to
Tarot Forum. I loved reading your posts in this forum too.
I am happy that you are with us.

Leleii