Fairy Lights Tarot

RunningWild

Ok so this morning I am procrastinating doing those things which must be done. Instead of adding to my anxiety I happily wandered off to read a couple blogs. In particular, Le Fanu's, whose reviews of decks and his small shopping expeditions make me yearn for a substantial income so I could afford trips to Europe.

He reviewed the Fairy Lights Tarot and the idea of "natural pairs" has intrigued me. Does anyone else have this deck? And what do you think of it? How does it read for you?

Yes, it's new, I know.

Aerin

There are a few reactions to the deck here http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=109296 towards the end of the thread in particular.

I read with it yesterday and the landscapes are so evocative. I didn't get any natural pairs as such but the cards still talked to each other across their borders.

toj

I love this deck!

Briar Rose

What is the little white book? Is it just like a standard on, or does it give anything information on the cards?

And still, no word on the big book? What about the different pricing and packaging sizes?

Le Fanu

As far as I know, there isn't a book. I didn't know there was ever going to be one.

But look at the cards, how mysterious they are, how ethereal. It's like an irresistable invitation into somewhere magical. You either grab the invitation or you try and orientate yourself with reason and perhaps never jump in.

Honestly, you don't need a book. just leap into the unknown and imagine!

I have to say I'm not much of a "read-any-which-way-whatever-you-want-intuitive" school of tarot but this is the most "intuitive" (not used perjoratively) deck in the world for me!

I just lose myself in its mistiness.

toj

I have to say I'm not much of a "read-any-which-way-whatever-you-want-intuitive" school of tarot but this is the most "intuitive" (not used perjoratively) deck in the world for me!

Excellent description. I always have gut instincts on what I see from the cards, but in most cases, still go to the LWB or book for the data telling me what I see is correct...not with this deck. It may be my first deck where I don't care what the LWB says because I am getting lost in the images. The cards have a dreamlike quality to me - they are emotive and somewhat moody. That makes it the most intuitive deck I own.

momentarylight

As far as I know, there isn't a book. I didn't know there was ever going to be one.

But look at the cards, how mysterious they are, how ethereal. It's like an irresistable invitation into somewhere magical. You either grab the invitation or you try and orientate yourself with reason and perhaps never jump in.

I feel the same with Tarot of the Secret Forest. Mattioli creates another world that is so easy to enter through senses and imagination.

I have been debating about whether to get Mattioli's new deck but this thread has convinced me that I should :)

Sibylline

Ok so this morning I am procrastinating doing those things which must be done. Instead of adding to my anxiety I happily wandered off to read a couple blogs. In particular, Le Fanu's, whose reviews of decks and his small shopping expeditions make me yearn for a substantial income so I could afford trips to Europe.

He reviewed the Fairy Lights Tarot and the idea of "natural pairs" has intrigued me. Does anyone else have this deck? And what do you think of it? How does it read for you?

Yes, it's new, I know.

I was super excited when this deck was released, and snatched it up the second it was available in the U.S. I'm such a sucker for non-cheesy fairy decks!

I think this really is a beautiful deck. The art is hauntingly evocative and, as many LoS decks do, it has more than a few oddball cards that depart from the RWS. I have gotten a few natural pairs...and when that happens, the effect is stunning. I can see how folks are getting incredible readings right out of the box.

Sadly, I haven't clicked with this deck yet, but not because there's anything wrong with the deck itself. It's rare when I don't jive with a deck, but I decided to be patient and give this one some time. After all, one of my favorite reading decks (The Sun and Moon) took about 9 months before it decided to work with me.

Maybe my fairies need to gestate for awhile...or maybe they're intimidated by the Thoth that happens to be sitting right next to it :eek:

I say get it. It's money well-spent because Lucia Mattioli has done a masterful job with this one.

lalalibra

I've been interested in this deck since I first heard about it. It does seem very misty and other-worldly, which I'm very drawn to!

I'm curious about what the actual cards are like as far as the borders. In some pictures, the cards seem to have these bright blue borders (which I'm not sure if I'm a fan of), and then in other pictures, the borders look more muted and gray... Can someone clarify what color they are in actuality? Is there more than one version of the deck?