Fantastic Menagerie Tarot: The World

Mi-Shell

This month I am studying the Fantastic Menagerie Tarot; picking a card a day, reading and musing about it.
Today it is The World.
The book discribes this card as depicting the dance of life and our dance througt life. I much like all about that and also the artwork on the card, apparently showing Sophie, the ballet dancing Dragonfly performing in front of a Bee hive.
The book subsequently features a story about the life and times of Sophie the Dragonfly, a very gifted dancer of her time...
But I am utterly perplexed by the fact, that I do see - recognize - the dancer in the artwork not as a Dragonfly but a Grasshopper!!??
Grashoppers have loooooong antenaes, Dragonflies do not... and the head!!??
( Do not get fooled by the arms and leggs... Most critters in this deck have human-like arms, legs, hands and feet...)
Am I buzzzing wrong in my head???
Help!!!!
Here a few pics:

Attachments

• Grashopper.jpg
    Grashopper.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 207
  • dragonfly1.jpg
    dragonfly1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 193
  • dragonfly14.jpg
    dragonfly14.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 185
  • F M the World.jpg
    F M the World.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 338
  • green grasshopper.jpg
    green grasshopper.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 180

Skydancer

Oh you're right - it IS a grasshopper!!

*sigh*

*S*

.traveller.

I always thought it was a grasshopper. Dragonflies don't have heads like that and the artist knew his bugs.

Sophie

.traveller said:
...and the artist knew his bugs.
Better than I do, it seems ;)

Does it matter? If it does, reread the story and insert "grasshopper" in lieu of "dragonfly"...though perhaps, in Another World, dragonflies look like grasshoppers, and grasshoppers...like tight-rope dancers* :laugh:

*like the one on the Two of Coins.

gregory

I suppose the biggest thing is that one can fly and the other cannot ?

baba-prague

gregory said:
I suppose the biggest thing is that one can fly and the other cannot ?

Some grasshoppers can fly :)

gregory

baba-prague said:
Some grasshoppers can fly :)
True. But I don't think the one in this pic can.... It's the ones with the black and white wings that...

Nice trailer })

.traveller.

gregory said:
True. But I don't think the one in this pic can.... It's the ones with the black and white wings that...
The tutu/dress would make flying difficult I'd think. The ones (grasshoppers) around here can fly, they just don't fly very far or for prolonged periods.

The things I miss from not having the book.

Sophie

I wrote the book as a creative writer and tarot reader, not as an entomologist. Whether that creature can fly or not is irrelevant - in the story, she is a ballet dancer (the World Dancer), and in Tarot, she transcends limitations and so can fly or hop, as she pleases. Ballet dancers give the impression of flight, though they never leave the ground for more than a second without being carried...and like the World Dancer, at the pinnacle of their art, they incorporate all five elements - air, water, fire, earth and spirit. All great artists are the World Dancer... The type of critter she is is less important than the journey she has gone through to reach where she is and to be All Things in One - this card represents an archetype, after all :)