Fear affecting the cards?

jellybelly

Hi,

as a newbie to Tarot, and probably not having a true understanding yet of the meanings, I have a fear of turning up certain cards.

These include the 3, 9 and 10 Swords, and sometimes The Moon, and Justice. Funnily enough, I don't fear the Tower or the Devil.

Invariably, when I read for myself, these cards come up. So far nothing untoward has occurred in my life, and so I feel that I attract them through fear.

Is this a valid theory, or should I take more notice when they turn up?

thanks for any input
xxxjellybelly

mahjong

These cards do present some fear in a lot of readers including myself but although they do have some negative messages they can also have some positive messages depending on the question .For example if I asked the question 'what is the advantage of dumping my boyfriend?" and I got the 9 of swords I would interpret that to be "I will no longer be filled with anxiety,fear and sleepless nights" There are a lot of threads on individual cards in the index to help you.Why don't you post the readings you have done for yourself with your own interpretations ;you may be pleasantly suprised :)

Moonchild1721

I've found that sometimes when I pull a card that I interpret to be negative, there are positive aspects of the card that I overlook. It could be that your fear is drawing the cards to you. Maybe there is something there that you need to see. And that thing may not be bad!

SunChariot

Generally speaking your feelings do not attract cards to you one way of the other, not positive or negative cards. If you ask a question of the cards and concentrate on it, the cards that come up will be those that answer the question.

Of course there are times when life sends us signs, to teach us what we need to know. Maybe your higher powers sent you those cards so that you could see that nothing bad happened afterwards and you would then stop fearing them. It could be that they were sent to you so that you could get over your fear, because that is what you need to become a good reader, to leave the fear behind. If the cards keep coming up and nothing bad happens of course, you will stop fearing them in time. It could be just a life lesson.

Although yes you should always take notice of the cards that come up, they are always part of your answer.

Babs

kmusky

I think it's natural to avoid bad news, and those cards are generally associated with bad news.

I am often negatively affected by the knight of swords. I strongly associate that card with someone who I dislike intensely. I actually cursed out loud when that card last turned up, that's how upsets she makes me.

SunChariot

Yeah, when I do a reading for myself and I can see the cards that came up are going to give me an answer I am not going to like, it takes me a while to work up the courage sometimes to finish the reading,

But in the end I force myself, because I KNOW that whatever cards came up will tell me information that I truly need to know. And it will make my life better to know it. So I do work up my nerve in the end. LOL And those are teh readings that are usually the most life-changing in positive ways for me.

Babs

Umbrae

I think fear will reflect the reading, and fear definitely affects your life - which of course is reflected in the cards you turn...

SunChariot

That makes complete and perfect sense what Umbrae said. Fear does not draw certain cards to you, but yes is does affect your interpretation of them, as we see things differently in different moods.

And yes when you have a lot of fear it affects your life and the cards reflect what is happening in your life,

Perfectly said.

Babs

Sophie

My experience as a reader for others and for myself (for 11 years) is that if they are allowed to dominate, strong emotions of all kinds affect both the reader and the querent, and do indeed attract cards that reflect those emotions rather than answering the question at hand. If uppermost in your mind while you are shuffling and drawing is fear (or anger, or desire), then cards mirroring that fear will come up in the reading, for that is where your focus is concentrated. That is the reason why it's important for the reader to ground, centre and detach before and during a reading, by whatever means suits that reader. (Likewise, if you are reading for others, it's good if you have your querents shuffle and when you notice they are agitated or emotional, find ways of calming and grounding them.)

Some readers detach naturally, others - particularly when reading for themselves or those close to them - have to make an effort to ground and centre (I'm in the latter category).

Once you are detached and able to focus clearly on a question, then the cards you draw are those that answer the question. They will also relate to the emotional background of that question, but not in such a direct, dominant way.

In your case, ask yourself what your state of mind was when you drew these cards you are afraid of. Make an effort to ground and centre before you read - take your time shuffling and focussing on the question, and do whatever helps you to detach from your emotions, including the fear of drawing certain cards (if you search this forum, there are many ways suggested, from use of incense, crystals and prayers to breathing and visualisation exercises, to simple routine ways of setting up your reading space and shuffling).

Something else you might want to do is to take all the cards you fear out of the pack, and start journalling them. Journalling is a great study aid, but also helps in achieving detachment. Have a dialogue with those cards, explore them in the round - their negative and positive sides. Examine why you fear them. In no time you will find that the fear recedes. Doing a card-a-day draw and journalling it also helps. Whenever a card you are uncomfortable with appears, you can examine it in the light of your day. Look at it morning and evening, and ask yourself - how has that energy affected me today? Was this fear justified?

Yet another way of overcoming that fear is to read for others. If you don't feel ready for that, read for fictional characters, tv characters or personalities, the news, your pets, etc. Practice reading for others as much as possible. Centre yourself and focus before drawing the cards, and read them as straight as you can.

Good luck!

balenciaga

I agree with Fudugazi here - My cards are dark if my mood is dark; there is no getting around it. Dread, depression = swords galore and of course, the 5 cups.
So when I am less anxious or worried, my cards clear and appear more balanced.