"First names and dates of birth"? Why?

satinangel

Lyric said:
I also don't claim psychic abilities, but I know others have them.

Most (at least the profiles I've looked at) of the Tarot Readers on Kasamba, do state they are psychic in their profiles. I also believe that many of the people seeking readings (on Kasamba) do believe that Tarot = Psychic...even though we know we don't have to be psychic to read the cards!

~SatinAngel~

ArwenNightstar

shelikes2read said:
That's why I just don't get it when I see the vast majority of readers whose posted responses include statements like "I need first names and dates of birth of all parties involved".

For me that helps to connect with who I am reading for. I also want to know what hand you write with because I focus on you when I do the reading so I cut as you would. And I do some astrology so the addition of knowing someone is an Aquarius for instance would be helpful.

kerri28

Very interesting thread and responses! I always ask for the sitters first name as I use this to "hone" in on their energy to read. I use tarot as a prompt for my readings and generally go by intuition instead of stadard stock meanings. ;)

TemperanceAngel

Very interesting thread....

For me reading in person and reading via the net are two very different things. Extremely different.

Via the net (my website) I ask for date of birth.

1. Because I like to know the star sign of the person to know what Court Card they represent to me in their reading.

2. I like to know their age.

3. Names can be that extra personal touch via an email.

"Your sister, Maree...."

instead of

"The person in question..."

Everyone reads differently. Some people may also like name and DOB to help them tune into someone.

How can one not escape Numerology with the Tarot??
To me, Numerology and Astrology have always been so intrinsically linked with the Tarot I could not work with one without thinking about another, maybe even using it at times.

Regarding things like Saturn Returns. I can look at someones cards and see this and then confirm by asking my clients age. This is a long process via e-mail. Date of birth at the beginning helps this out.

Again this is a personal thing.

I also work as a psychic.

No, not all Tarot readers are psychic. But again, to me, the two marry so well.

Umbrae spoke of being underage. Good point. My youngest client is 11. Not an internet client though.

So, to me it boils down to how you read as an individual. Personally I prefer to read in person. But obviously this can not always be the case.

blackroseivy

shelikes2read said:
I have a question.

Now that I've signed up to do Tarot readings on kasamba.com, I've been reading the public message board for questions to answer.

I need to preface this by explaining that I've studied Tarot, but never astrology (if you don't count my reading my horoscope sometimes) nor numerology. Just Tarot. Period.

That's why I just don't get it when I see the vast majority of readers whose posted responses include statements like "I need first names and dates of birth of all parties involved".

At the risk of sounding obtuse, why would a reader request that information when they're being asked to do a TAROT reading? If they were being asked to do an astrological or numerological or some other sort of reading instead, that'd be different. But what kind of benefit does that information provide for a reader who's being asked to do a Tarot spread to answer a question?

P.S. I've discovered a pet peeve... some of the posted responses from readers have next to no connection to the actual question being asked. It's like some sort of stock answer that they have for ALL reading requests. I feel like hollering, "Show some empathy and prove you give a darn about what this person is requesting -- READ the question and RESPOND with a post that shows you've paid attention to what this person has asked". :mad: Maybe I'm just being a grump. But in this case, I think that this objection has merit.

Oh, well. That's enough grumbling from me for one day. ;)

You are EXACTLY reflecting my own sentiments in this post!! :p I really don't need anything in the way of astrological info, although I must add that the age can be a telling factor.

As for those stock answers, yeah, I figured that out shortly into doing Kasamba. I don't do the public board, it rarely pays off.

contrascarpe

Great topic, as I have often wondered about this myself. In fact, I vaguely remember an early reading or two I did here on AT where the seeker volunteered the info. I have always assumed that some readers DO combine other disciplines in with their readings. I do agree with Umbrae, though, that this could also be a way of doing a gender and age check.

I am starting to look at the possibility of adding runes to some of my readings. Since I am still in the early stages of learning runes, I am not quite there yet, but I do see it as an extra tool that could help get to the heart of a tarot reading.

Speaking of combining disciplines, this reminds me of the very first day I read at a store professionally. My second reading of the day was a middle-aged woman who was quiet during my reading. Even though her demeanor was reserved and she seemed to be in a state of zen, the cards indicated something was troubling her immensely. I kept asking her if she was sure there was nothing specific on her mind, and she kept saying no, just want my cards read. Finally I gave up asking and went ahead with the reading and she suddenly blurted out "is my boyfriend cheating on me". Being new, and still unsure of myself and my ethical responsibility, I saw this as being outside the realm of good ethics and bordering on a third party reading (and besides, if someone actually asks this question they A) already know the answer and B) are in a relationship that is toxic to begin with). I offered to end the reading right there and not charge her when suddenly she thrust her hand in front of my face and said "read my palm". If I hadn't been so shocked, I probably would have laughed! Apparently some people still assume that if you read tarot cards, you can do all the disciplines (now, where did I put my crystal ball?).

Dan

agedog1

Astrology/Numerology/Taro

Before I scheduled reading/s I always get the persons name, birthdate (birthtime and place if they have their birth certificate (I don't trust memory).

There is a very good reason for this. I can crank out a chart in under 5 minutes, grab the good old emphemeris (spelling sorry) and see what aspects are occurring and I've got a good idea before the person gets there what the question will be. Numerology does the same for me.

Once I've done a spread, the A&N helps me enormously.

Understand that I've been doing Astrology, Numerology and Taro professionally for over 30 years - so this is not something that is new to me.

My father began my Astrology and Numerology studies when I was 6 years old (the same year I started public school). My Taro studies began one year later.

Bonnie

Just the facts, ma'am!

The reason for asking for the first name and date of birth more than likely started with 800/900 lines, and for them there is a very good reason. It is nice to have a name to address your caller by, and the DOB tells you that they are over 18, and can legally be held responsible for paying for the call.

Blessings,
Bonnie