Five of Cups

rainwolf

Wow Earthly Virgo~youre posting! Usually it takes forever to have new people post....

I never noticed the colors either, i think they could all represent emotion in different ways. Green could be grounded, family love; red could be passionate love; purple could be deep and unconditional love-like one for a soulmate. The tipping of all these cups could be like losing a loved one-you lose your passion, ground, and depth of love.

firecatpickles

I'm not sure if Smith had the color of the chakras in mind when she did this one...

I see that this is the one of two figures who are not facing forward to the querent. The other one in the Three of Wands. The hope the figure feels in the latter, one of passionate anticipation, is the flip side of the hope this figure would feel, which is a feeling of anguished hope, or angst.

KK

job

Is this the only card with a bridge?

HoneyBea

WalesWoman said:
I was looking at this card and the colors of what spilled from the three cups. I was wondering if the green would be physical/material loss(Pentacles), the red for loss of desires/energy(Wands) and the purple for integrity/moral/higher self (Swords). The cups themselves representing the emotional stakes that held them.
Any one else have any thoughts about this?

Hello WW! remembering that the 5 cups is a card that leans towards mourning a loss, its about regrets from the past and staying in that sense of loss rather than being able to move forward, when you look at the cup with the green spilling from it, green can more often than not symbolise, growth, adaptability, balance, potential and renewal, this has now all be spilled from his cup and therefore he has halted his growth, he cannot at this point adapt, has lost his balance and therefore the potential for renewal.

Red as you rightly say can represent desire/energy but also willpower and self confidence - these too he has lost and while he remains in this sense of loss he cannot of course notice the two full cups behind him which could be said to stand for creativity and inspiration - they are blocked to him at the moment, he is empty as indicated by his black cloak, a colour that can symbolise here for us lack of light, and insight.

But notice the bridge in the background of the card this can mark the gateway between two states, - between one emotional state and another -showing that the transition can be made in the future which will enable him to see those remaining two cups.

Look as I might I do not see purple on the original Rider Waite 5 cups - was it the original you were looking at?

Just some thoughts on how the colour could relate to this RW 5 cups :)

Teheuti

job said:
Is this the only card with a bridge?
The Four of Wands also has a bridge and could be taken as the same landscape from a different perspective.

The Hierophant (another 5) is sometimes called the "Pontifex" which means "bridgemaker," just as the number 5 can be seen as a bridge from the lower to the higher numbered cards.

Mary

re-pete-a

The colour green represents the ETHERIC,from this plane all things are changed from inert to cellular activity,it's also the colour of higher learning,even envy is a gateway to self examination.The bridge has three arches,representing the three golden apples (three attendants of landon ,check the atalanta story)Three chalices?Envy, pride,passion.These are the VEILS of landon,veils can be blockages or filters,either way they slow the pace of mind.River reps emotions tears,these can be salty or fresh water,dependant on the level of evolvement.Sorrow and confusion is black ,5 is the level of growth,judgment makes it good or bad.
________
MACUMBA FORUMS

re-pete-a

self wrighting system(nautical)

The above blurb is based on the Hermetic application,,,,also we need to correct ourselves,,,there are only 2 arches under the bridge,and the water does seem to be flowing swiftly for a small river.
________
Blowjob School

rcb30872

LOL, just reading this stuff about the bridge and crossroads immediately made me think of two phrases I hear quite often in regards to bridges:
*We'll cross that bridge when we get to it*
*It's water under the bridge*

The first one, I tend to use a lot, well, in regards to someone who gives me a what if this, or what if that question. In other words, no need to worry about it right now, it might not even happen, and if it happens, well, take one day at a time, think of something when it does., blah, blah, blah

It's water under the bridge has been mentioned to me by someone, yeah, easy enough for him to say, he can bugger off and leave me with the burden! Grrr! (if you know me, you would know what that is in relation to ;) and who said it). Sort of similar to "no point crying over spilt milk", "what is done, is done!"

I'm sorry to say this, but when I look at the green puddle in the card, it reminds me a puddle of urine. Something that needs to be excreted, to help to get rid of toxins, and any unnecessary substances in the body, which might there be an excess of. But, I tend to see that in relation to toxins, more than the chakra sense. Detoxification, removal of unwanted and unneeded stuff, basically.

Teheuti

The color green was used often in Victorian paintings to indicate poison or sinfulness. Witches and prostitutes were dressed in green to show they were evil. Absinthe was green and was known as 'the poisonous muse.' In Celtic lore green was associated with misfortune and death.

HoneyBea

Well it seems that green can obviously represent good and bad. :)