five of cups

Robin

I'm looking at the gilded five of cups. he is morning the three empty cups.. I understand he is mourning and regretting past behaviors. is he wishing for something in his lost? what does he want? is there something he needs? just wondering in his lost- what would he like to happen. would it be to move on or to change whatever he is regretful for? am i rambling? he wouldn't want to move on cause if he knew his cups were still there he would feel better right?

tantricknite

I don't have the Gilded tarot but it sounds as if the art work follows a Rider-Wait theme.In the R.W. The 5 of cups shows someone standing in front of three spilled cups with two cups still standing behind him.That someone has a black cape on as if in mourning.It's also a stage card which usually indicates drama.Yes the card is about grief and the river of emotions that runs through it.The color black is about absorbing all the emotions of the situation.And that someone is is focused on that misery.The way out of the card is between the two standing cups.That someone needs to turn away from the drama and balance his emotions.The standing cups show that not all is lost.......

willowfox

He probably wants things to be the same as they were before, the three empty cups to be standing again and full of wine. He wants the past back again, if he was divorced, then he would want his wife back. If someone had died, then he would want them to be alive and well again. If he had lost his money, then he is wishing to have it back. Like a gambler who loses his money at the races, he really regrets his mistake and wishes that everything could go back to the time before the races when he still had a pocket full of money.

Zephyros

I usually see this card as depending too much on people or situations that have let you down in the past, or seeing yourself as lonely, alone and forlorn, with no sould to help you in the world.

It may seem that way, but behind you are people brimming with love for you, or new opportunities that you may not see in your blindnesses, seeing only what has fallen apart and spilled to the ground.

Demon Goddess

He's crying over spilled milk. He doesn't value the two cups that remain and and until he does, he cannot be thankful for what he has and move on. Until he sees it... He will sit in the puddle of milk and cry.

There is a positive aspect to those two cups, that are key to the light that is this card... All is not lost, there is hope... you may have taken three steps back, but there are two steps forward right in front of you.

I like getting this card. It means that although the worst is at hand it won't be decimating... damaging, yes, but decimating, no.

I liken it to the ideal of what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

balenciaga

Wallowing with the 5 Cups

There is a definite "wallowing in the spill" or "licking one's wounds" going on in this card. But hey, sometimes even the strongest of us get caught with it.:)

starrystarrynight

If I'm remembering the Gilded 5 of Cups correctly, I always got the sense that this warrior is weary - nearly defeated by the three cups that have spilled (i.e. the situation that has broken his heart.) He's down on bended knees, tired, spent and unable to see the two cups that remain upright at the moment.

In this way, it makes me think of someone who has suffered a loss, who, at the moment, can focus only on that loss. It has nearly crippled him...but he is not totally laid out yet. If he can only look up and see those two full cups, he will understand that he hasn't lost it all.

But he is being pessimistic right now, and if he continues to focus only on the loss, he runs the risk of being devoured by self-pity. Still, he is the only one who can look up. No one else can do it for him. And once he does...once he is able to move on to the six of cups, he will be able to look back at what he went through to find his current happiness, all the stronger for having suffered that loss of the five in the first place.

Robin

ok, so what i'm getting is that he is stuck in the past and he wants what he once had. if he's stuck in the past he doesn't want to move on cause he can't see a way out right

Schehrazada

Hi Robin!

It can be that, and sometimes it has appeared to me on readings when someone did not know that they had the extra 2 cups available and not spilled. If you look at the MG deck, the two cups are behind the man's back, so it can also mean that he cannot see them because he doesn't know that they are there to begin with.

One example was a job reading I did for a person who was having problems at work and couldn't find another job. They found out after getting this card that they had other choices available for them and that were "out of the box" options. The card made them do further research and find a new career choice, which improved their lives. Sometimes it's hard for us to see our way out when we are having trouble. That's once of the purposes of the cards: to take out the noise and makes us see. :)

Best of the best,

S.

ana luisa

This card can be seen in many ways. To me there´s an idea of "what´s the use"? I always think of scores at games. if you have 5 chances to get it right and get it wrong the first time, that´s fine. If you s**** up the second time, you still have some confidence to keep trying. But once you get it wrong the third time, if really feels as if you´re "predestined" to lose. Besides, in the Gilded , the cups are empty so it may be mistakes he made and regrets. Low self-esteem also showed up once for this card.

BTW, for people who do not have the Gilded, you can look at it here:

http://taroteca.multiply.com/