Four of Cups - No

ClareS

Hi,

I recently got someone I know to do a yes/no reading for me on whether I would hear from someone. They drew the 4 of cups and said this would be a no. Does anyone else agree with this?

She elaborated that the person was avoiding the whole issue with me etc. I have read for myself on this and have had the opposite come up but wonder if my judgement is clouded.

I would be interested to hear anyones views on this... thank you!

coeur

There are different systems for everyone on the yes/no option. Some people tend to say evens are 'no' whereas odds are 'yes,' based on the Kabbalah which suggests all odd numbers are male while all even numbers are female. The traditional role of the feminine is to define and restrict, which is where the 'no' comes from for those who use that system.

On the other hand, I tend to just read the card as opposed to the numbers in yes or no situations. I also tend to see the 4 of Cups as a 'no' card because of the RWS depiction of a man rejecting several cups brought before him by a cloud. It suggests rejection of generous gifts because one cannot see how generous this gifts are. But this is just my interpretation...

Astraea Aurora

I usually read it as 'No, I don't want to play with you - I have all I need'. It depends on the actual picture, but most times it means a negative answer to me. Denial. Being stubborn and narrowed down only to things one wants to see. Defiance.

But in the end it really depends upon the reader. Maybe you go back and ask them what details made them say the answer is NO? Then you could compare it to your feelings about this card. Look at the card and listen to your inner voice.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Demon Goddess

As a regular reader of Yes/No questions (many people think they shouldn't be allowed by tarot readers), the four of cups could mean a yes or a no... it would depend entirely upon the question.

T

willowfox

The 4 cups for your question would seem to indicate no, they will not get in contact with you, as they are "busy" doing their own thing.

ClareS

I agree with the whole defiance thing and do you think its also quite a moody card? I see it as someone being moody and very "whatever" about things but it also speaks of discontent to me.

WalesWoman

I don't get how to use cards for yes or no questions at all and avoid asking them.

4 Cups as a no makes sense... 4 of standing water, stagnant, going nowhere, stuck, not to mention it's more normal perception of Not Interested, Not receptive or otherwise ambivalent and apathetic.

Bronwyn1

I'm with DG, I ask yes/no questions all the time (must be a Canadian thing eh?) and it all depends on the question asked. What was the question?

Bronwyn1

Doh! Batting a thousand today. After going back and reading, I would say also that No, you won't hear from that person, (from the 4 of cups). If you had gotten the page of wands, 8 of wands, then I would say that's a yes.

Demon Goddess

I kept expecting this question to get moved to Readings... but that's me.

WW, after all of the negative comments I've read here on how they don't work and aren't good for Tarot, I had been thinking about doing a workshop on YES/No reading... If you're seriously interested in figuring out how they work... I'll put more effort into putting one together... I would want to run it over a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon, while I am sitting in the shop.

T