Frustrating experiece

Kurenai

Hello,
I am new to the forum and would like some help and insight from other members who have more experience with the Lenormand.

After trying to work with the deck for several months, I became frustrated and gave up. I recently picked it up again after close to a year of hiatus.

The biggest reason for my frustration was that the cards had so little accuracy -- sometimes it did, but mostly it did not... I started with the daily 2 card readings, but I usually got stumped with the interpretation since it seemed had no bearing on what happened that day.

For example, on Friday I went to the Science Center with my daughter. Before I left I asked the cards what the day would have in store for me.

The following cards came up: The Moon (32) + Ship (3)

It was a bit confusing since the interpretations I can think of were "late night cruise" or "night drive."

I took it to mean that perhaps we would come home late. But we arrived before sun down.

Anyone else might shed light on this? I am continuing to do the daily 2 card readings, but I am continuously running into interpretation problems.

Thanks!

Amanda

I would say, "Creative" or "imaginative" (Moon) "trip" (Ship).

Personally, I don't like Lenormand for daily stuff. Actually, I don't like doing daily stuff for practice, but if I had to do it and choose, I'd do it with tarot, not Lenormand.

I would recommend that you practice with 3 cards, and try doing it for the next day or the day after that to kind of let the cards settle at the back of your mind a little bit, so when that day comes, then perhaps the event that the cards suggested to you will happen and then snap them back to mind for you.

1Eleven

How did that little trip make you feel? Was it rewarding?

Kurenai

Thanks Amanda!
Your post was helpful.... The thought of doing a 3-card reading seems daunting, as I am already having problems with 2.

It was a fun trip, my daughter had lots of fun, and the time passed very quickly.

1Eleven

Thanks Amanda!
Your post was helpful.... The thought of doing a 3-card reading seems daunting, as I am already having problems with 2.

It was a fun trip, my daughter had lots of fun, and the time passed very quickly.

Exactly. The Moon is a card of accolades and generally, a 'feel good' kind of card. So, you felt good experiencing that trip with your daughter.

I think where people get into trouble with daily readings is they take on the full 'weight' of the card meanings. They're really toned down compared to their full impact of say a Grand Tableau for the next year. Coffin could point to a headache, Rider could be some kind of mail delivery, etc. For example, years ago when I first started I did a 3 card that included the Snake. Naturally, I thought betrayal and deceit around my day or maybe I'd need to take an alternate route wherever I had to drive. Well, my old neighbor showed up at my door and asked me for help with her plumbing. She asked, specifically, if I had a plumbing snake she could borrow. Talk about literal and watered down.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Kurenai

I burst out laughing when I read your reply 1Eleven. Yes, that is one main reason why I get frustrated with the Lenormand -- it could literally mean anything and I get confused and lost so easily. :)

I've been reading Tarot for 15 years now, and like many others have attested to in this forum, Lenormand is a whole different animal!

ana luisa

I've been reading Tarot for 15 years now, and like many others have attested to in this forum, Lenormand is a whole different animal!

Absolutely! And it can be even more difficult than Tarot for some people. I guess it's because the images are so "clean" and devoid of extras.... who knows ?
I have a suggestion: instead of doing a daily reading BEFORE it happens, do it AT THE END OF THE DAY. That way, you can start learning how the symbols talk to you (for they do it differently for different readers). With time and practice, it will surely become clearer.
Also, you may try getting another Lenormand deck. I have 5 but only 3 speak to me. Go figure. ;)

surpeti

Hi Kurenai,

I agree with the great responses others have given. Just want to add that I find the cards often fit more than one situation simultaneously. Sometimes I have a "main event" of the day, but simultaneously other thoughts are also simmering. So in your example, "trip (Ship) to an acclaimed (Moon) place" fits, but maybe you also musing about your job and "longing (Ship) to get recognition (Moon)" would also fit. We usually have multiple strands to our day, even on that low level of dailies. I think one of the joys of reading cards is how it can address several things at once, if we are open. Good luck with the cards!:)

MandMaud

This is exactly the problem I'm having. With tarot (which I feel I "can do" now although I haven't been at it many years), I can't stop my intuition joining in with the choice of which meaning out of the possibles. With Lenormand, I can't find my intuition anywhere. And without it, there's no way of choosing between the various meanings for each card and then so many permutations with plural cards! For me I don't think it's the simple images without extras (as ana luisa suggests), but somehow the trigger that will wake my intuition to work in this arena just hasn't happened.

I have a suggestion: instead of doing a daily reading BEFORE it happens, do it AT THE END OF THE DAY. That way, you can start learning how the symbols talk to you (for they do it differently for different readers). With time and practice, it will surely become clearer.

I'll try this again - I had dismissed it thinking that hindsight is all very well, but we need to choose between the meanings at the time of reading! But your point about how the symbols talk to me specifically is good.

Also, you may try getting another Lenormand deck. I have 5 but only 3 speak to me. Go figure. ;)

I did find it helped getting one with images I find unambiguous, as with my first (Blau Eule)

I agree with the great responses others have given. Just want to add that I find the cards often fit more than one situation simultaneously.

I suppose that means it isn't entirely necessary to choose which meaning to go with?
Still can't imagine reading for others, working like that - but then I'm a very long way from attempting that! :)

Oh, and Kurenai, since starting with two cards I got reckless(!) and moved on to more, and I do find it easier rather than more difficult. Five is easier than three. Actually so far I find nine (3x3) the easiest, which is also the most I've tried. I think that's partly because they aren't in a line and the patterns among them help, or maybe because my mind isn't linear! But with two, you can only do "adjective + noun" and that doesn't tell a story, only name something - there is no context. :)

Kurenai

Hi Kurenai,

I agree with the great responses others have given. Just want to add that I find the cards often fit more than one situation simultaneously. Sometimes I have a "main event" of the day, but simultaneously other thoughts are also simmering. So in your example, "trip (Ship) to an acclaimed (Moon) place" fits, but maybe you also musing about your job and "longing (Ship) to get recognition (Moon)" would also fit. We usually have multiple strands to our day, even on that low level of dailies. I think one of the joys of reading cards is how it can address several things at once, if we are open. Good luck with the cards!:)

Funny that you mentioned this... After reading your reply I suddenly realized that I received an invitation for a job interview on the very same day as the Science Centre. Do you think that might have something to do with it?

Also, for this morning I picked out three cards: clover (2) + child (13) + mice (23)

For a moment I panicked and wondered if this was implying that my daughter might lose her toy. But for lunch we went to a Chinese restaurant and after the meal we were all given a pre-packaged fortune cookies. I opened mine and to my surprise, there was nothing inside!!! :) Now that I think about it, I think the Lenormand cards were trying to tell me that.