Gazing At The Moon....

Maggiemay

I have a really hard time getting a clear '' feel'' about the moon card when I use it in a reading or for meditation purposes....

Here is where I get stuck with this card ( and where I would need your insights!!!) :

You see, the way I interpret the moon card is pretty much as a counter-evolutive movement.... by that I mean that it works against it's essential & God given natural intended purpose.

POINT & CASE: The moon ( satelite) normally exerts its influence upon sea-water which is a living body filled with living organisms....

follow me so far? I hope so...:)

---BUT---- in the Arcana bearing it's name: the moon, is in fact not exerting any influence. Quite the opposite is true! : Since she is absorbing the dropplets of water that are going up from the man made pool of water below.

I find this card to be a very very introspective, introverted card that plummets to the very depths of the inconscious...

So here is my "problem'' : why does the generic interpretation of this card sometimes say that it has to do with the public & popularity?

The public aspect would be true if we only took into account the astrological interpretation of this luminar. Wouldn't you say?

Thanks for reading me and thanks for your insights.

( ps: Please bear with me as I very embarrassed by my question. I fear that it's a silly question exposing my ignorance of Tarot... BUT hey I am here to learn!!)

balenciaga

what I feel about the moon

Please do not ever be embarrassed - you are in the right place to learn:)

i see the moon card as a warning against one's fears and misperceptions leading the way in a situation instead of one's rational thoughts. As if it says, "watch it here, you are traveling in the dark, veering off the lighted path". There are all those creepy, watery creatures there. As advice then, i would say one should consider a new line of thinking on the subject at hand, since one may be seeing their fears instead of the truth.

Maggiemay

Balanciaga !!! I was just responding to your post !!!!!!
How funny. :)

Maggiemay

I agree with you Balanciaga.

That would explain why the FACE eclipses the moon.

Already that the moon is a subjective reflection of the sun's light sooo.... if a person adds their own '' thoughts and impressions'' in the mix... we are looking at a potential : WRONG WRONG IMPRESSION!!!

balenciaga

indeed, i would agree: "the wrong impression" fits:)

PS: Thanks for responding to my post:)

Maggiemay

Oh no problem, balenciaga.

I thought about the card some more and I thought that since it's a card that is also about wrong impressions I could easily imagine how sometimes we think a friend is a friend while in fact nothing could be further from the truth....

That's how people thought they had a best friend only to realize that the best friend was just a user ect....

What a card....

I am starting to wonder if there is anything positive about this card aside from its inherent sixth sense!!!!!!

PNWtarot

Your read on this card is very analytical, and interesting as much of it is something I hadn't considered with this card. I've always read the moon as a kind of call to action... I imagine a figure walking in the night, with the moon as a guide. When I draw the moon in a reading, I feel as if the person for whom I'm reading has some unaddressed hurt. They have to go into the night, go through the frightening, confusing emotions, allow the pain to wash over them, leaving them as clean and clear as the light of a full moon. I see this card as meaning that something emotional needs to be put away, and now's the time to do it.

Also, consider trying another deck if the imagery on the Marseilles is hard for you to relate to. After all, the pictures are just one artist's opinion of the card meaning. :)

Maggiemay

Hi PNWtarot,

As I am reading your comment (btw thank you for posting it :)) I feel we have sort of the same conception of the meaning of this card but it's true that I obtained it through analytical means since I had a hard time FEELING this card.

It happens to be that the Marseilles Tarot speaks to me very well. The Raider-Waite-Smith Tarot's symbolism doesn't strike a chord with me at all! Isn't that funny when it happens to be the most popular deck around!!!

Oh well...

PNWtarot

:) I grew up in an analytical home, so I'm very interested in that sort of stuff. I use the Golden Tarot, and I LOVE the moon in it... it seems just right. One of my favorite things about Tarot is finding the deck that means something to you, and seeing how different other people's meaningful decks are.

Maggiemay

it's interesting you should say that!!!!!

because I have been looking for a new deck and the way I am searching for the right deck is by looking at the high priestess & the moon arcanas...

My selection is mainly based on those two cards, Their images must '' speak to me''!!!

The moon in the golden tarot is magnificent...... but so far I wouldn't trade the Marseilles Tarot for anything...sentimental value & loyalty I guess!!!