Gemboree this weekend!

canid

I have no affilliation with this whatsoever but thought I'd mention it for those in Ohio. It's in Cuyahoga Falls, just north of Akron between Cleveland & Akron. Awesome event!!! Absolutely anything to do with rocks: gems, beads, panning booth, gem trees, wire wrapped stuff, faceted stuff, unfaceted stuff, raw rocks, fossils, you name it. It's the coolest show!

http://www.lapidaryclubofohio.org/gemb.htm

Briar Rose

I am taking my learjet to the event. Want me to pick you up, on the way?

I just got in some sterling wire, 26 gauge for my finest beads. I want to go to the next gemshow up here.

For all you gemmy lovers, the Ruby mines are now closed in Burma. I read that jewelers can longer bring in any more Rubies to the United States. What is here now is all that there is going to be unless things change, and I don't see that happening. By yours now if you see one you love.

I have also read that Tanzanite is a generation stone. There is no more. Once what is being sold is sold....that's it. The supply is just about gone.

I have great controversy with Tanainite, as that is the gemstone that was intially sold to buy the bombs for the World Trade Centers.

I am a certifed diamond expert(just one BIG book, and one little test). I am not a gemologist, there is huge difference. But I have been in the gemstone industry and worked with the finest dealers, so I know a few things. Not much compared to a gemologist (wish I was one), but I do know a few things.

Anyway, I wish I was going to a show! Thanks for posting canid. I know you love beads and painting too.

canid

Damn. Too late. I already went. It was awesome! I didn't get much but here are my goodies - (greatdane, note the purple beads) & I just made a pendulum out of the amethyst. The melon colored beads are gorgeous - they're just dyed howlite but the color is superb. There's a little silver bobble that is sooo cool - inside is a rhinestone flower & it spins like a top when you move it. I love that place; I just stand & stare in awe at some of the huge crystals, some going for $3,000.

ETA: A diamond expert? How cool! I didn't know that about Tanzanite, which I love. I've a ring, earrings & necklace. Now I'm not so sure about it...

Attachments

• gemboreestuff.jpg
    gemboreestuff.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 85
  • pendulum.jpg
    pendulum.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 88

MCsea

Ohh I feel like I went just seeing the pics - thank you for sharing..
Briar Rose thanks for the detail on Tanzanite.. I associtate it with Gemini (14 to be exact) so twin towers.... hmmm

I guess in an odd way Tanzanite accelerated human development spiritually and emotionally by forcing peoples perceptions to 'change' be more open and realistic? hmm

MARINA

Briar Rose

I love what you bought canid. I love those handblown beads. And I love the finished end of the pendy.

I don't know what to make of the tanzanite. See what I mean? i didn't even know about it being associated with gemini.

I like how they name grade the color; purple, purple-blue, bluish purple.... from what I remember it goes like 15 lines, with just blue and purple words used. There was a time when jewelers first got the word on it, and they refused to carry it. Now that it's much sought after, and things have died down, they are carrying it again.

Iolite has a purple hue and is pretty.

Purple is a strange word, isn't it?

canid

Speaking of purple, & not just because of the screen I'm scaring at heehee...a while back I was using a black light to try & identify some of my unidentified rock specimens (have a WHOPPING tube of hyalite!) & I noticed one of the diamonds in my honking diamond ring was fluorescing a beautiful lavendar! Then I thought, uh oh, somebody sold him a bum diamond, till I looked it up & some diamonds do indeed fluoresce! It's beautiful! Erm, that's right, what I read, isn't it, our diamond guru? I know nothing about them, except they're shiny & they're hard.