Getting passed up because of my age?

DaughterOfDanu

Today at a local festival I noticed a Psychic reader's booth. I didn't even know if she was open because she didn't even have her cards out. She was just sitting with a friend in an empty booth (No props, not even business cards). I have a feeling she wasn't making much money and I'd probably get a "No." To my answer anyway. I spoke briefly with her about her prices and she tried to talk me into a reading and when I asked if she was hiring she replied "Oh... sorry. We like to keep it in the family- for energy purposes." I've never heard that one before and from my understanding of energy, a family member can have just as much rotten energy as a stranger. Plus her expression was that of fishing for a decent excuse. So I quickly called BS. I feel a bit sour because she had to give me some "new agey" run around instead of just saying no. Which the more I thought about it the more I wondered if she'd passed me up thinking that I was some teeny-bopper reader instead of someone who's really dedicated a lot of time to learn to read. I've read for a large number of people in my small ammount of time learning (well over 100- which may not sound like much to more experienced practicioners but its something I'm proud of) and have a nice online fanbase of clients. I know that I am a fine reader- but I have to wonder...

Am I going to keep running across this issue the more I search for a job at an already established business? Could clients pass me up because I'm young? I'm starting to think I'm going to have to trek out on my own rather than look for a job- I'll have to "make" one so to speak.

tarotlyn

:heart::) I don't know if it would help, but maybe it wouldn't hurt either:

If you had a nice professional looking business card and hand it to them when you
introduce yourself, might make them realize that you ARE serious even if you look young.

On this card you could state your experience, etc. Maybe stating what types
of readings you specialize in, etc.

Good luck sweetie...

:heart:tarotlyn

Le Fanu

"trek" out on your own. You don't need to work for anyone. You're good enough to build up your own business.

So many people in other professions rely on being hired, tarot is one of those professions that (surely?) is entirely dependent on simply getting yourself out there and being good.

You should be celebrating the fact that you don't need other people to take you on. Then when you do have lots of clients, you'll know it was entirely because of your readings and not a *boss's" contacts.

Alta

Someone who is a member here, Kiama, had this problem when she was a teen. She was also an experienced reader but she got some rebuffs because of her apparent lack of experience. If it is any comfort she now has a published tarot set, a published tarot book and is the editor of at least one other book that I know about. Keep going, keep reading. :)

cricket

If they passed you up for your age, then they are small and shallow, and when you start your own business you'll eat them alive.

That being said, there is a certain energy flow among a family that can be changed when another person comes in. Think about holiday meals - they are always the same, until cousin Fred brings his new fiancee one year. The energy in the room changes. It's not a good excuse, and certainly not good enough to blow somebody off like that, but it can happen.

On a side note: So THAT's what Kiama's been up to! I've missed seeing her.

DaughterOfDanu

All I can say to you guys is thank you! All of you! Wise words from wise people.

Tarotlyn- You have a really good idea! I'm going to start looking for card companies and pricing. That does sound really professional and if someone came up to me and introduced themselves in that fashion I'd be impressed!

Le Fanu- You're right. In a way, I am very proud I learned to read on my own because it was an accomplishment I made without riding on anyone's coattails. I need to start viewing tarot reading for business like I used to- before I got so pessimistic.

Alta- Thank you for posting about Kiama! That was really inspirational!

Cricket- I see, when you explain it like that I can understand a bit better. I wish she'd given me the time of day. Her body language to me said she had better things to do- as she sat there in a literally empty booth at the height of the festival's hours. Lol I shouldn't be catty, but I guess I'm just spoiled by good hearted readers like you all!

cricket

See? It's her own fault, with an attitude like that!

As for business cards, I've always had wonderful results from vistaprint (run a google on it, should be the first result), even their "free" cards are really nice.

Deana

Another take -- she was sitting there not selling any readings. You come over, and she tries to sell you a reading. Instead you ask for a job. She sees right away that people are going to be coming to you for readings while she watches on from the sidelines. So she realizes she'd prefer to keep it "in the family" with the low energy sluggish people like herself and not invite a young go-getter into her space.

DaughterOfDanu

cricket said:
See? It's her own fault, with an attitude like that!

As for business cards, I've always had wonderful results from vistaprint (run a google on it, should be the first result), even their "free" cards are really nice.

Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out. :)

Deana- Yeah, I hope I come off as a go getter because its how I feel when I do tarot-related things!

tarotlyn

UPDATED...
:heart::) TreeLeafe...I just found this web site and you can upload your own photos :)
and create your own card on their site and they will print them out and mail them to you:
click here:
http://www.vistaprint.com

$9.99 for 250 'premium business cards' (with your own photo)

Then click on: "SPECIALS" ...
Then click on: "Preminum Business Cards"...
Then click on: the "Get Started" button...then a page opens and you can
select the card that allows you to add your own photo.

I think you can even get extra editing and be able to add stuff to the back
of the card...

You could have someone take a picture of you doing a reading for someone and
then just upload the photo to this site and I believe they will shrink it down
to fit your card.

Anyway it looks really interesting and reasonable...

Let us know what you think about this site if you go there...
(Note: I am not affiliated with this site in any way)
:heart:Hugs
Lyn
TreeLeafe said:
Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out. :)

Deana- Yeah, I hope I come off as a go getter because its how I feel when I do tarot-related things!