Getting rid of a negative tarot deck

Carla

I think you should do what you deeply feel you must to get rid of the problem. You wanna burn it? Toss it in the bin at a crossroads? Work a spell on it and throw it in a river? Take leave of it and give it away? Cleanse it, sell it, then cleanse your home after it's gone? There are so many things you could do, but if you choose one of our suggestions, it might not fix the problem for you. So ask yourself. What would make me feel cleansed of this thing that is bothering me? Then do precisely what you feel you need to.

Amary

My mother has a deck that I won't even touch. For the most part, I'm totally with the, "they're cardboard and ink" crowd, but this deck (It's a Barbara Walker) literally makes my skin crawl. It always has, even when I was a child. I can't even touch the marble box she keeps it in.

She says it's always been the deck she uses when she is angry, or upset. I think it has absorbed a lot of those energies- when the time comes that she passes, and I inherit her decks (no one else will want them), that is the one deck that I will absolutely not keep. I can't say that I would destroy it; I would probably give it to someone here that I know will love it, appreciate it, and be able to handle it. I don't like the idea of destroying a perfectly lovely deck because I have a problem with it, and more than that, the deck is important to her and has been a large part of her journey.

KMilliron

I don't think any of my decks have an energy to them, but for the most part I tend to be an apathetic person...

nisaba

Give it away in a game competition here, or to teh Nonny Mouse resource. Then your sadness can become someone else's pleasure.

Zone

Give it away, or sell it, someone out there will want it.

Caedryn

I think that decks, like any object, can pick up vibrations and energy. If those are negative, then that is what a person who has the ability to sense that (psychometry) would pick up.

~ C

siren85

Thank you everyone for your opinions. :heart:

Amanda_04 said:
I got my Gilded tarot from someone, and it had a really choppy, negative, all-over-the-place, "messed up" vibe that just didn't sit right with me. So I stuck it in a bag with a Smokey Quartz flat stone and put it away for 6 months. Felt like brand new when I took it out and I use it all the time now.

thats a good tip. thanks, I may try it.

Debra: That is a good point. Maybe I just associate that deck with a particularly hard time in my life and it brings back memories.

It's funny, because I never had a problem with this deck before. When I first got it, I used it for about 2 years with no problem (it is just a standard rider-waite deck), but after a particularly emotionally trying time, it just seems to have accumulated negative energy (or, it 'brings back memories' I guess.) I feel fine until I pick it up and use it.

Chiska

siren85 said:
Thank you everyone for your opinions. :heart:

thats a good tip. thanks, I may try it.

Debra: That is a good point. Maybe I just associate that deck with a particularly hard time in my life and it brings back memories.

It's funny, because I never had a problem with this deck before. When I first got it, I used it for about 2 years with no problem (it is just a standard rider-waite deck), but after a particularly emotionally trying time, it just seems to have accumulated negative energy (or, it 'brings back memories' I guess.) I feel fine until I pick it up and use it.

My Mythic Tarot is associated with many negative feelings and an very emotionally charged issue. I did readings for a long time that are almost frightening to read. However, in my case, it is the readings that I feel are full of the negative energy and that period in my life has gone and passed. I have long since released the negativity and the hold that it held on me to the Universe. It was part of my life and has shaped who I am today, but it no longer controls me or affects me.

The deck is still the same and doesn't feel to have any negativity attached.

Perhaps, if you saved your readings from then, you can burn them? and then cleanse the deck itself if it makes you feel better.