Gilded Reverie Lenormand

StreetReader

I'm not a lenormand guy normally, but on today's trip to a occult/coffee shop, a friend of mine bought this for me due to the ship card depicting an airship and I have a major love of airships.

Now I love the art, but have no clue as to how this type of card reading works. Opinions on this anyone?

Darkmage

Lenormand tends to be a lot more literal than Tarot. You can find meanings here and all over the internet.

StreetReader

Thanks for the reply!

I guess I worded my question wrong. I mean what are the opinions of the deck, and the method of reading. I come from a playing card reading background, and this looks very different.

cirom

If your question is regarding this particular card, it's usually depicted as a "normal" ship to denote among other things a long journey. In this deck the whimsical treatment of a airship mixes that traditional depiction with a touch of fantasy, both for artistic license and to suggest that long journeys in today's world can involve other forms of transport. But the core meaning remains the same.
If your question is a more general one about the overall deck then no doubt you will receive contrasting opinions. In my opinion it remains reasonably faithfull to the traditional representations of the Lenormand systems. Some may not subjectively like the style, but there is sufficient similarity that I doubt whether any experienced readers or even beginners would not be able to recognize the cards for what they are. With that said, two or three cards have been modified from their traditional depiction, but even those changes have been explained in the companion material and then should be seen to still represent the same core meanings. Nevertheless if you are interested in learning the Lenormand system, in addition to the companion material for this particular deck, you may wish to consider books by Rana George and Andy Boroshevegra, both of whom are experienced practitioners of this genre of cartomancy.

Lee

Hi StreetReader,

Welcome to AT! :)

Besides the excellent suggestions given above, you may want to check out our Helpful Threads and Resources Index. There are many AT threads and resources listed there that you'll find helpful.

danieljuk

The Gilded Reverie is so gorgeous, what a lovely gift to receive :thumbsup:

My suggestion is to read up on the different cards on AT, online and maybe get a couple of books. People give each card a different meaning or idea and I think you have to work out your own method and take on each card based on those other ideas. The key is combining the different cards. I think a great way to learn is to use keywords, so think of 2 or 3 keywords for each card and then use them for combining and a message or reading. Try to stick with your keywords as a core meaning.

For example, the gorgeous Air Ship is the traditional Ship card, for me the keywords might be; travel (overseas and maybe a local trip or a road trip), movement (as in things changing) and Business (especially international and import / export type areas). Each person might have separate ideas on what the card means to them. You then combine the cards as they come up and so an example - Ship + Sun is travelling to the sun and I would say that was a holiday or a trip to a hot country.

There is many different methods for learning and different ideas about Lenormand, you could read books, or make a story up between the cards or some people have a system with different positions. But learning a few keywords for each card and a basic understanding of each card really helped me!

Ciro has a little booklet included in the deck, it's quite sweet and a lot of info packed into it! Good luck with your Lenormand journey StreetReader :thumbsup: (which is slightly ironic that you love the ship card in the deck :) )

StreetReader

Thanks for making me feel welcome!
I've been reading the booklet that came with the deck, and I am beginning to understand the images, but what throws me is the playing card index on them as the meanings are very different from what I was taught. I will admit that the deck feels awkward to shuffle, due to using an over hand style to protect the beautiful gilded edges.

delinfrey

StreetReader,

welcome to AT!
Congratulations for beginning your Lenormand journey with this epic deck. This is -by far- my favourite Lenormand deck and I cannot get over how these exquisite, detailed, symbol-rich images still manage to just express the core essence of the meanings.

As for your question -

I am acquainted with cartomancy as well, and it is true that the cartomancy meanings are different. Here, you will find an overview of cartomancy meanings vs Lenormand meanings:

http://learnlenormand.com/petit-lenormand-card-meanings/

I can assure you that Gilded Reverie meanings coincide with the Lenormand meanings (e.g the meanings that Mlle Lenormand bestowed on the cards).
There are fabulous online resources (e.g Learning Lenormand, Cafe Lenormand and countless others) with all the meanings of single cards and combinations.

I do find it useful, though, to also ponder upon the playing card depictions sometimes - as the court cards can indicate an actual person.

Have fun with this amazing deck!

EDIT: saw your concern about the shuffling; I use this deck like crazy (ca 10-15 shuffles daily) with my normal shuffling style, no wear noted

StreetReader

EDIT: saw your concern about the shuffling; I use this deck like crazy (ca 10-15 shuffles daily) with my normal shuffling style, no wear noted

Do you use the bridge style riffle shuffle?

Amanda

Do you use the bridge style riffle shuffle?

I do and it is wearing, but I've had it a while and have used it a lot. Those gilded edges won't last forever no matter which deck you're using! :) Might as well just enjoy yourself and use the thing. I'm sure the deck will be around a while and you can always buy another. ;)