good book to use with the Ibis deck???

Redmoon

Does anyone know a good book for me to use with the Ibis deck? This is my first deck, and it will be my first book, so I dont want something TOO deep, but I dont want something childish..

Thanks,
Ron

Phoenix

Hmmmm. I don't think that there is a book for that deck. I also don't think that it is a very good deck for a beginner, although it is very beautiful. You may have a hard time finding s book, to help you with that deck. Most books out there are designed for the Rider-Waite-Smith decks. Although, you might have a good time with "Tarot for a New Generation" or "Tarot: Your Everyday Guide" both by Janina Renee.

Good luck!!

Melvis

Hi, Red Moon!

Do you have the Little White Book that came with the deck? It actually does a pretty good job of explaining the Egyptian symbolism that appears on the Major Arcana. However, as with most Little White Books, the Minor Arcana are pretty much ignored.

I can give you this website, which I got from another thread somewhere here on Aeclectic: www.kemet.org lists the Egyptian deities and a little of their background.

Almost any good beginner book on the Rider Waite would cover the Majors pretty well. Phoenix's recommendations are excellent choices!

As for the Minors, there's more Kabbala corresponces, etc. in these cards than I know about. So if someone knows a good beginning reference on that aspect, I'd love to know about it, too! ;) Actually I've learned most of the little I know about Kabbala (this spelling is used in the Ibis' LWB) from the Tarot Magic Computer Program! There are quite a few good essays on the historical aspects of the Kabbala

Good luck with the Ibis!

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

Ravenswing

ibis and astrology

this may not be exactly what you're looking for, but...

there's a book entitled "practical astrology" by C. deSaint-Germain. it is a handbook for plotting horoscopes. the last third of the book relates the tarot with astrology in quite some detail. the illustrations of the tarot in this book are the same images that are used in the ibis deck. along with what seems to me a bit of a mazework of astrological associations (each card has different associations depending on which of the classical planets it falls under), there are general interpretations of the cards.

i'm not sure where to get any translation of the glyphs on the cards. the astrological symbols are pretty much standard, but sometime stylized.

the lettering on the bottom right of the major arcana is a script called 'the writing of the magi'. it follows the pattern of the hebrew alphabet, so if you start with aleph as the magician, the order is standard.

i'm slowly wading my way through the book. if i get any insights about the deck, i'll pass it on.

in hermit mode
ravenswing

cardlady22

bumping this thread

Does anyone know any references that would be helpful? Notes on whether it is complete beginner vs. assuming certain knowledge would be appreciated.

bkk_bro

Yes, I can reccomend two books on this deck. One is called "The Sacred Tarot" by C.C. Zain, the other is called "The Royal Road" by George Fatham.
You can download The Sacred Tarot (Book 6) here for free...

http://www.lightofegypt.com/index.aspx?action=courses_by_book&folderToUse=courses

...as well as many other courses on astrology, alchemy, divination of all sorts etc. The book is not easy to find reference points, and therefore a bit of a burden to use during readings. It's my plan to make footnotes for each card in a text document, in order to make the info easier to access for this purpose. But I've been having so much fun with my Crowley deck, I don't know when I will have time :)

Wendywu

The best book to get started with Qabalah (and have a lot of fun along the way) is Lon Milo DuQuette's Chicken Qabalah. Very relevant, very informative and very funny.

gregory

I'm with Wendy there - but it is NOT specific to the deck.

bkk_bro seems to suggest that two books are "about" the Ibis deck - they aren't, I'm afraid.

Abrac

This is a pretty good Website. It has original source material for most of the major players in the "Egyptian" genre. A lot of it is in French & Russian but there is some English too. I don't think the minors are given any attention though, it's mostly about the majors from what I remember.

bkk_bro

The books which I reccomended were written for the Egyptian images which have been produced, and reproduced by various artists. You will find images very similar produced by the brotherhood of light deck, Ibis deck, Egyptian deck by US games, and a few newer decks which have changed some images entirely, but most images they just added color and made some minor changes to the artwork, such as the Ibis deck, to make the deck more visually appealing.
The images are from the book "Practical Astrology", by Comte Saint Germain as mentioned previously. I found that book a bit too general, and reccomend the other two books for more detail. If you read through the other books you will see that they ARE based on these decks. Don't let any self appointed experts steer you in the worng direction. :)