Got my Greenwood...but...

redflash

I honestly don't know if I like it or not. :( I have been after it for a few years, never had the money. Spent ages drooling over the cards online. So my reasoning was, I will sell a load of my stuff, including my Bohemian Gothic silver, to pay for it. I had to think long and hard about selling the BGS, it's lovely. I finally won the GW on ebay last week for a ridiculous sum of money. I couldn't sleep waiting for the package to arrive, I was sooo excited.
And now.... I just don't know. I absolutely loved the cards online.

Usually when I get a deck I either love or loathe it instantly. But with this one I don't really feel much either way.

argh sorry for moaning but I am gutted, what if I don't fall in love with it ? !

Wendywu

Oh dear. Could you do an IDS with it - sort of immersion therapy? It really is a wonderful deck to read with. It's one of the decks I'd be heartbroken to lose. Use it - that's all I can say. Oh and also, refer to Chesca's on-line handbook - to me, that was far better than the book that came with the set.

If you give it a fair chance - weeks, not days, and still don't care for it then I'd do what Le Fanu always says and put it on the shelf for a few months.

If you love your Boho Gothic to pieces - is there any way you could keep it? I wondered if there might be a little resentment creeping in towards the Greenwood because it's "cost" you all these other decks....

PathWalker

I'm just working on an online course with the Greenwood. IT is a deep deck, has lots of levels you know? You can meditate, journey, all sorts. Maybe it doesn't give itself up straight away?
I've had mine for a while, but don't read much with it yet.
Wendy is right about the extra stuff that Chesca wrote, useful! I went the whole hog and printed it off and stuck it a nice A$ binder, whcih I keep with the deck and book, as an additional resource.

Give it some time, hold it lots? maybe ask it how you should begin? Don't worry, I'm sure it will come to you if you let it.

Best wishes
Pathwalker

gregory

Can you wait a little while ? So often a new deck feels bleah and then you suddenly think - hey, wait a sec.....

Have you read with it ? I love it but never did until someone specifically asked. I was delighted with how it worked. Might be worth a shot, to help out.

Or spend a day or two looking at each card for a good long time.

But if you have to choose and you love the BG - well, you know what you have to do.....

PathWalker

Oh, the other thing, did you get the book with it? MAybe have a read of the book, understand a bit about the thinking behind the deck and positions, (if you like to know that kind of stuff of course) maybe that will make it seem more flowing?

morticia monroe

Sometimes when I want something so badly, I get myself so expectant and my hopes so high that it can't help but be an anti-climax when the item arrives. Give it some time. :)

Wendywu

PathWalker said:
I went the whole hog and printed it off and stuck it a nice A$ binder, whcih I keep with the deck and book, as an additional resource.

I did that :) I use it far more than I use the book that came with the kit. Chesca's explanations illuminated my thinking about the deck. I thought about doing the course but then the Ironwing arrived and absolutely demanded my total attention - no ifs, buts or ands .....

It just struck me - do you already work with the Wheel of the Year or is all that new to you because that might make the deck a little strange ....

DeLightFull

Hi there redflash. It sounds like there has been a huge build up, years in the making, emotionally and financially, around the arrival of this deck. Like others have said, give yourself a little time come down from all that and then sit down and have another go... you and the Greenwood, minus all the expectation. :heart:

thorhammer

DeLightFull said:
Hi there redflash. It sounds like there has been a huge build up, years in the making, emotionally and financially, around the arrival of this deck. Like others have said, give yourself a little time come down from all that and then sit down and have another go... you and the Greenwood, minus all the expectation. :heart:
What an eminently wise post :heart: Thankyou for that, that was beautiful, so sensible :)

\m/ Kat

redflash

Good advice from everyone, thank you ! I wish keeping my BGS was an option, but its already on ebay with bids on it, to pay for the greenwood ! (please Goddess let it make a decent amount, lol, I might feel better then ! )

I think, well I know, that I have built the GW up in my mind for so long that getting it would, of course, be an anti-climax. I think it's the shock of spending so much money on a deck aswell, I've never spent that much on a deck before !

It came with the book which I read straight through, and I printed the online book out too, which I'm still reading. I do work with the wheel of the year so it's not completely new to me.

I will finish reading the 2nd book and I'm also going to try the suggested pathworking.

I really, really want to get into this deck, not just because of the expense, the whole idea of the deck is very much what my belief system is all about.

Thank you all for your advice, I'm going to stick it out with the GW. Wish me luck and thank you again for replying to my moaning thread !