Green witch tarot disappointment

olivia1

I purchased this deck prior to reading most the posts about it (because I couldn't find it initially). I thought I'd love this deck but I'mso disappointed. How does one get a balanced reading with this? All the cards look positive and light. No darker cards at all.

I'm so upset I want to trash it because I can't get my money back and I do not see myself getting any balanced and informative messages from it. Will reading the companion book make the deck more balanced? Maybe the cards simply look positive but there is more that I fail to see? Please help me learn to like this deck. This is the first deck I bought In 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willowy

Sorry to hear you don't like this deck,especially since it's the first you've brought in a while.
I also have the deck,I really do think you need to give the book a read, there are some darker cards still,the tower renamed the wild hunt,five of pentacles,ten of wands etc,although I do agree the author gives a more positive slant to a lot of the cards.
If you like the artwork,keep working with them some more;
You could add your own meanings using your intuition,or working with a different guidebook,cause even though some names have been changed they are still just a regular tarot pack.
Give it a few months,if they're still not for you,maybe you could trade them on here,or sell on ebay and choose another deck you like.Hope this helps some,there's nothing worse than realising you've brought something disappointing when theres so much good stuff out there.
Also,reverse meanings are given,maybe use them to give more balance.

olivia1

Sorry to hear you don't like this deck,especially since it's the first you've brought in a while.
I also have the deck,I really do think you need to give the book a read, there are some darker cards still,the tower renamed the wild hunt,five of pentacles,ten of wands etc,although I do agree the author gives a more positive slant to a lot of the cards.
If you like the artwork,keep working with them some more;
You could add your own meanings using your intuition,or working with a different guidebook,cause even though some names have been changed they are still just a regular tarot pack.
Give it a few months,if they're still not for you,maybe you could trade them on here,or sell on ebay and choose another deck you like.Hope this helps some,there's nothing worse than realising you've brought something disappointing when theres so much good stuff out there.
Also,reverse meanings are given,maybe use them to give more balance.

Thank you for feeling my pain. To say I feel owed the amount I paid for this and shipping is an understatement but it's my own fault too. I should have done more research. The few posts I did find were so positive. I just looked at the 5 pents. I suppose you are right in that she looks cold but it also looks self imposed.

I just saw the 8 of chalices and it does not look like he's walking away from anything. If anything it looks like he is looking at the grapes and is considering how much wine it would take to fill all the cups up. I suppose One could argue that he is distracted from what he once had by something new.

The boys in the 5 wands look like a group of friends having a friendly discussion and the men in the five of swords look like they're simply admiring some knives together and sharing their joy if knife collecting with each other. It's fine if the deck doesn't follow rws too closely but I wish the amount of seemingly light to dark cards were more balanced.

I suppose I will take your advice and give the book a try. I don't like to read companion books because I like to come up with my own meaning but in this case it is a must. I'm hoping I can get past all this and this ends up being a favorite. I guess I'm somewhat of an optimist

FaintlyMacabre

I tried to find a good review or walkthrough on this. I gave up on one but the one by Arwen might help even though she didn't touch on many of the minors. (YouTube)

She pointed out many details on the cards that I found interesting. I did seem to recall some discussion of this deck probably when it came out. It's good to remember that everything is not RWS. Sometimes those pictures limit the meanings, IMO. The court cards have a lot of personality in this deck which is nice compared to so many blah ones. It is a somewhat non-standard deck but it looked interesting.

After a very slow start, the 2-part video by The Truth in Story seems to be doing a pretty good deck review. I have not finished listening to both parts yet. I would suppose you chose the deck because you had some interest in the Green Witch which is why it is so different.

Diana

RavenLuna

I feel the same way as you about the Green Witch Tarot. I pre-ordered it, so didn't realise what it was like. I would try and come up with your own meanings, because the companion book is terrible imho - the book kind of spoilt the deck for me. The images are pretty, so it could work with your own meanings. Or try and trade it for another deck.

HighPriestess

I love my Green Witch Tarot but the book does emphasize the positive, I've come up with some interesting interpretations of my own and some of them are pretty dark.

For example, I think it's the Seven of Athames that depicts a hunter returning to his cottage with some rabbits, and in the doorway there's his (presumably) wife, and I noticed how she's framed by the doorway, arms crossed, her features nondescript, and I wonder if hunter boy has some explaining to do. What exactly was he doing in the woods? Hunting rabbits, certainly, but does the lady suspect something else? The presence of the skunk makes sense when you read it that way, because something definitely stinks!

Sometimes I find it best to ignore the book, TBH.

DaughterOfDanu

Initially I had an issue with the positive spin on the cards but once the deck was in hand quickly found that it wasn't impossible for me to put my own meanings to each card to make them more balanced. In a way it was fun for me to make a story for each card that fit how I viewed the traditional meaning better. I'd never done that before and it helped me bond better with the deck.

This is a deck people either love or hate I've found. Give it time and if anything I'm sure you can trade or sell it on the forum. I think everyone has gotten a deck they thought they'd love but quickly found didn't meet their standards :)

AJ

I don't know much about living life as a witch, but I think the RWS deck is based on faith/religion of the era. Green Witch simply doesn't do that because the viewpoint of each card is based on something else. If you can set aside your preconceived notions perhaps the deck will grow on you?

wiings

I don't own this deck.. While I like the artwork I don't connect with the theme. That being said, I have different decks that I use for different things. Sometimes it's nice to have a deck that isn't afraid to lay it on thick but sometimes I need a gentle approach. I think it's nice to have a positive deck.. For times when I might feel overly sensitive. Or when advice is needed on how to improve a situation.. Sometimes those heavier cards are tricky for me to tone down. Maybe the issue isn't learning to like the deck but learning what kind of readings it will work best for?

olivia1

Hey everyone,

I really do hope to love this deck. I paid Good money for it so I definitely want to be able to put it to use. I'm not worried about how closely or losely it follows rws. It would be nice if a deck followed it closely but I think We've all had that one deck where the card(s) didn't seem to fit the rws meaning but it still worked out. As long as I could understand what they are doing its ok.

My problem with the deck is that all of the cards look just so darn happy. This deck reminds me of the time I went to this reader and she made every card intentionally sound positive because she doesnt like to pay attention to the negatives and there is a silver lining to everything. I was so annoyed.

I love my Green Witch Tarot but the book does emphasize the positive, I've come up with some interesting interpretations of my own and some of them are pretty dark.

For example, I think it's the Seven of Athames that depicts a hunter returning to his cottage with some rabbits, and in the doorway there's his (presumably) wife, and I noticed how she's framed by the doorway, arms crossed, her features nondescript, and I wonder if hunter boy has some explaining to do. What exactly was he doing in the woods? Hunting rabbits, certainly, but does the lady suspect something else? The presence of the skunk makes sense when you read it that way, because something definitely stinks!

Sometimes I find it best to ignore the book, TBH.

@highpriestess I like your idea of looking deeply into each cards and past the initial positivity... But doesn't that take a lot of time?