grumpy about moonstone ring sizes

Sophie

I've been looking for a moonstone ring for ages. I can't find one to fit my ring finger. I have slender fingers and all the rings I see, either in physical or online shops, are too large. I know I can have rings altered, but it costs a bomb, and I'd like to find a ring in my size. I have a lovely rose quartz cabochon ring, which I found in Glastonbury last year, but it was also a hard job finding one to fit me.

If I find small ring sizes, they are usually for children, which I don't want either. I know I'm not the only one with slender fingers, so why is it so HARD to find a grown-up woman's moonstone ring to fit me? :mad:

Anyone know of any addresses?

bryghtrose

I have tiny fingers, too. I've had some luck on ebay where I can search for ring sizes, and I've actually gotten some very nice rings there. I haven't come across any other internet jewelry sellers that have rings in small sizes-- they generally carry size 6 and up, with an occasional 4. Never a 4 or a 3.
Good luck in finding something that fits.

lunakasha

It is also frustrating for women with large fingers....almost impossible to find a size 10 or 11 ring that looks feminine. I used to wear a size 11 or sometimes even a 12...all I could find were plain-looking bands, nothing with a gemstone.

Now I wear between 8 and 9, so I have a better selection to choose from.

But I wonder why jewelry makers don't consider offering more in the smaller or larger-than-average sizes??? :(

~Luna

Papageno

Fudugazi I've sent you a PM

All Is One

This will probably sound extreme but I clip the band in the back of the ring with wirecutters and then use heavy duty nail files (emery boards are like sand paper) to file off the sharp edges until I can gently bend one side over the other and make it adjustable.

The better and thicker the ring quality is, the better results I get. Only had side of a ring pop off one time and it was poorly made.

Just a thought...

Elysianfaery

I have the same problem, but with finding larger sizes like Luna.

Have you tried Etsy (www.etsy.com)? It's sorta like Ebay, but it's artists selling their own things. Many of the jewelry artists use real stone, and many of them will do custom jewelry or alter the size for you. The prices are good too. Love me some Etsy!!

It's about the only place I get jewelry now.

lunalafey

Adjusting the size of a ring, if making it smaller, should not cost an arm and a leg. It is a quick and easy task. Making a ring larger in some cases is more involved and extra care needs to be taken when applying heat to a ring with a stone in it. If the size up is minimal, the band can be stretched without heat, carefully of course because stretching metal changes it and can weaken it. That sizing should not cost much either and takes about 5 minutes.
I suggest tying to find a ring that has a setting you like, hopefully in a size that is too big and having it made smaller. If I had my studio set up, I could do it for ya'....for free :D

Sophie

Thanks for the replies! I'll have a good look around Málaga and Grenada, see if I find anything, and ask for it to be altered. I might get lucky with vintage rings :). My ring finger is just under 43 mm (that's about 2 3/4 in US sizes, I think), and my middle finger is a little larger. I could wear one on my index finger, which is larger.

Another problem I've been advised about it that a lot of what is sold as moonstone nowadays is actually labradorite. Now, I can't wear labradorite at all, it makes me feel sick and headachy. Is there any way I can check if a stone is really moonstone? (btw, another reason I have to go for the vintage rings).

MCsea

Fudugazi said:
Another problem I've been advised about it that a lot of what is sold as moonstone nowadays is actually labradorite. Now, I can't wear labradorite at all, it makes me feel sick and headachy. Is there any way I can check if a stone is really moonstone? (btw, another reason I have to go for the vintage rings).

It is hard as moonstone is orthoclase and labradorite is plagioclase BOTH are a member of the feldspar group of minerals

pearly and opalescent is moonstone (crystal system is monoclinic)

labradorite is flashy shiller (crystal system is Triclinic)

at times very hard to tell apart... with out holding them and feeling the effect..
I get heady (in a positive way) with labradorite but get very grounded emotionally with moonstone

Sorry I cant offer any other advice..

MARINA