Handicap and disabilities

SekhemNefer

What cards would describe these two things without suggesting an illness, or sickness?

Ocean Bliss

It would depend on the disability I guess.

I would imagine that reversals would describe disabilities better than upright cards due to them resembling a blockage or difficulty.

For motion related disabilities I would say the 8 of Wands reversed.

For sensory disabilities like being blind or deaf I would say The Magician reversed (but then again that might be because I tend to use the Cosmic Tarot)

For learning disabilities I would again point to The Magician reversed but also to the Princess or Prince of Swords.

For mental handicaps I would say, possibly The Fool reversed, maybe the 10 of Swords if it is particularly crippling or the 9 of Swords.

There are probably more than what I would come up with. I'm guessing you would need to know what having a disability entails and how it affects people in their daily lives.

GenoviaJ

Mental: Hangedman, Temperance, two of disc and the moon.
Mobility: Chariot (wheel chair), 8 of wands reversed.
others are 8 of swords, 2 of Swords and even the 7 of cups.

SekhemNefer

cool!

Feretian

I riffled my Rider to see what popped out.

10 wands- awkward weight and unsteady load while carrying one's dreams, passions, hopes and ideas
3 wands- wistful searching for something to come into one's life; the usual choices (the wands behind) are not available; supporting oneself with third wand
8 cups- Having to journey a lonely and difficult way to attain completion
4 cups- unable or unwilling to receive that which may be beneficial
Moon- continuous inner struggle
7 wands- struggle to maintain one's personhood and dignity against the united front of opposing ideas
9 wands- resentment of obstacles; barrier between self and a longed-for place to be
2 pentacles-barest control of one's body/emotions, being perceived as a buffoon

I looked at 5 wands, but that one always seems to be just on the verge of becoming complete.

Also, Strength paired with your card choice would symbolize the daily accomplishments that -abled people have little appreciation for.

celticnoodle

surprised no-one mentioned the 5 of pentacles yet. in the rider waite deck, it features a person who is walking with crutches--I could see this representing someone with leg problems.

possibly the 4 of swords too, as it does represent a time of healing. and looking at the card in the RW deck, I'd wonder if someone has back problems.

also, the 8 cups---the guy walking away in that card is slumped over, like he's depressed. makes me feel like there could be some mental issues there-even perhaps something like bi-polar disease.

the 10 of swords too---most definately. again, perhaps a back problem or spinal cord disability.

good suggestions so far on the other posts.

GreenMoonBeam

Any suggestions for physical scars?

Ocean Bliss

Physical scars would be different

At the top of my head I would say The Empress reversed for facial scarring or any scarring that would be considered 'ugly.'

Other cards I can think of are the Cosmic 10 of Swords due to the image but I'm guessing this would be serious scarring. I can also think of the 9 of Wands reversed for injury scars or stretch marks where you've overdone it.

minrice

I think the Emperor would most likely be pretty scarred, "battle worn" if he were to appear in the flesh!

tarotlyn

the Chariot reversed would have battle scars and he would have lost his battle...