Hanson-Roberts Tarot by US Games or Univeral Tarot by Lo Scarabeo?

RobinRayfield

I'm getting into the this or that lists. For those of you with an opinion, which deck do you prefer? The Hanson-Roberts Tarot, published by US Games, or the Universal Tarot published by Lo Scarabeo. Also, please do not confuse the Hanson-Roberts Tarot with the Univeral Waite Tarot, colored in by Hanson-Roberts.

Freddie

Hanson-Roberts. If you like Rider-Waite, think about checking into the different colourings like Universal Waite (U.S. Games), Albano- Waite etc.. I just cannot get into that Waite Lo scarabeo deck.....others here do like it though...

Freddie

FaintlyMacabre

I went to edit my reply in you other thread and lost the info yesterday (I have a bad habit of forgetting to use "save.") I would suggest you might use the "Search" function for certain decks.

However this thread did compare the Radiant and Hanson-Roberts and mentioned quite a few points on various RWS decks as well.

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=237781&highlight=radiant

As far as the Hanson-Roberts, the ones who like it, like it. Those who find it too icky sweet, don't like it. My coworker had it and liked it. The children look rather weird as I recall.

Diana

Luna's Crone

I'm getting into the this or that lists. For those of you with an opinion, which deck do you prefer? The Hanson-Roberts Tarot, published by US Games, or the Universal Tarot published by Lo Scarabeo. Also, please do not confuse the Hanson-Roberts Tarot with the Univeral Waite Tarot, colored in by Hanson-Roberts.

I say Hanson Roberts hands down

Emily

I'd have to say the Hanson Roberts too, even though I'm not overly fond of it, the way it's drawn, you'd think it would a nice, easy going, RWS clone deck - it isn't. I never get good results with this deck so I just don't use it anymore. Read some of the threads on it, some people love it.

The Universal tarot I have also and I don't like the style it was drawn in, I don't like the artwork.

gregory

Lone dissenter, it seems - Universal.

I find HR a bit too sweet - but also, and critically - sort of FUZZY. That annoys me. For what is basically a Waite/Smith deck - I want absolutely clear lines etc.

ana luisa

Sorry, gregory, I also vote for the Hanson-Roberts. More expressive imo.

gregory

Sorry, gregory, I also vote for the Hanson-Roberts. More expressive imo.
Why apologise ? More Universals for ME :) I even have one up for sale in the trade forum as we speak !

Richard

Lone dissenter, it seems - Universal.

I find HR a bit too sweet - but also, and critically - sort of FUZZY. That annoys me. For what is basically a Waite/Smith deck - I want absolutely clear lines etc.

I have no interest in using either the Universal or the HR, but I am entertained and amused by the clever artwork in the HR. It is irresistibly cute. HR could make a fortune illustrating graphic novels and upscale comic books.

Southerngem65

I prefer the Universal Tarot published by Lo Scarabeo. Actually, I really like the Golden Universal Tarot. It is the same deck but the cards have black borders - which I prefer if there have to be borders - and they have a shiny gold aspect that I can't quite describe that gives them a glow that draws me in. It's not a perfect deck (I still have not found a deck I think is perfect). The pages are too old. The artwork is more like a graphic novel - which does turn some people off.

I also like the Hanson Roberts. But my issue with that deck is mostly about the size. I personally need a bigger deck so I can see what is in the images. My eyesight isn't what it once was. Some of the faces in that deck just give me a creepy vibe too.

Both decks do shuffle well. The Lo Scarabeo is a little thinner, but I have not creased one or anything.

Deck preferences are so personal.