Has anyone tried Photographic paper?

euripides

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did do a search.

Have you tried printing out your artwork as photographs?

they usually handle REASONABLY well, up to a point.... and aren't hugely expensive - I mean, they'd be a bit expensive for a retail deck, but ok to make yourself a handleable copy of your own art.

I was thinking of digital prints from a scan -are the digital prints that you get done at a photo shop as robust as a regular photographic print?

The other option would be to use a 35mm camera with a closeup lens on a tripod, and properly lit, photograph your artwork and print them out as regular 5x7 photographic prints, and use one of those scrapbooking corner-trimmers to round the corners. If they were too flimsy, you could dry mount them onto thin card before trimming (we had a dry mounting press at art school... would have to go bribe an art student...)

Euri

ciliegia

for my deck,I have used photografic papers.<only for large deck.

Grigori

I have no art skills, but I did make color copies of a deck on photopaper so I could have some enlargements. They turned out great. My printer is only ink-jet but is a better one.

The deck I used was fairly simple artistically, so it did not suffer at all from the enlargement and self printing. The paper wouldn't stand up to shuffling though.

euripides

shuffling

It sounds like the standard digital photopaper won't do then. I imagine the shops use the same stuff.

That's my key interest in photographic stock - something that can be shuffled. I'll have to investigate 35mm prints.

I guess there's nothing like the impervious surface of commercial printing inks. I was thinking about hand-printed lithographs too (I used to do printmaking at art school) but I don't think they'd have the resilience, either.

best
Euri

ciliegia

my friend have been using my decks,usually.

(photo paper+laminated)

he says it is good enough to use.(he is picky about his decks though)

after I have printed the decks by myself,it was a bit hard to continue so
now I'm using a photo studio..

kayne

Hiya,

I've printed out pages for books that I have made up from my bubblejet printer onto photographic paper and the quality of print is great however as soon as it gets touched or handled it tends to discolour and soak up oils from your hands and what-not. I imagine proper stuff from a photoshop would be better.

Otherwise you could print it out and back it onto thicker card and then cover it in clear contact. I did this with a deck that I made and it is fine. The card makes it quite thick for shuffling but not too bad. :)

euripides

handling bubblejets

Ah... it doesn't sound like these inks handle at all well. I figured as much - I've found the reference photos I print out don't like it when they get splashed with water when I'm painting.

euri

Grigori

It will depend on the cartidge also. I found one brand didn't handle getting wet, but another was waterproof and handled water as well as alcohol. If your refilling the used cartridges that will often not be water proof ink also.

blue_fusion

to protect the images from liquids and stains, why not try using those spray varnishes or clear lacquer sprays available in cans? i've tried and and it seems to work quite ok. :)

truelighth

I have used photographic paper with an inkjet for a deck. I decided to color the Pendragon Mother Tarot, but of course I wanted to keep my copy pristine. So I scanned it in in very high resolution, colored it with photoshop. And then printed it on the inkjet, using photo paper for the inkjet. I used very heavy and thick (280 grams or so). And they are just like card, very sturdy and easy to handel. I don't know how the colors will keep in the long run though.