Has anything new been attempted?

Zephyros

When I think of all the different Tarot decks that are out there, I generally like to divide them into three groups of the Big Three, meaning the original examples from which the system of the specific Tarot deck originates from from. These are, obviously, the Thoth, RWS and Marseille.

There are many, many different Tarot decks made from these three systems, and, needless to say, the majority of new decks coming out have RWS symbolism. Now, I know that this system is the most popular, and there are many beautiful decks coming out using it. However, in all of them, I find that they are more or less the same, with all kinds of specific symbols used in them in order to make that deck more personal and themed. Fir instance, the Druid Craft is a stunning deck, using Druid symbols together with RWS symbolims seamlessley and the end result is quite lovely.

However, lets say that I am a druid, and I wish to create a new kind of Tarot deck. Are there any "new" systems being invented? Ones that do not revolve around the Big Three? A Christian/Driud/Jewish/Wicca deck that does not have the same old scenes from the RWS on them but using something completely new? Now, I'm talking about Tarot decks, not Oracles, and what you would call a "good" deck. The Carnivale Tarot doesn't apply:)

Brock Johnson

The Gilded tarot gives an example of a new kind; Computer Generated.

I also think that there are kind of plain decks like the Fairy tarot by Lo Scarabeo.

That's my take on it at least. I hope you get more responses out of my own curiosity

Brock

Cerulean

Actually I think the Hallowquest Arthurian and the Mythic

Tarot of the 1990's introduced a system of tarot, in terms of British tarot design, that really broke new ground in terms of popularizing themes within a structure that bridged:

1) Western Paganism in allegory.

2) A more popular pictorial approach (see more detail in 3)

3) Scenes that would not really recall the RWS because I believe it was not designed to see Kabbalah, colors or correspondences outside of their 'chosen' theme--and deeper pseudo-Egyptian, Christian mysticism and other older undercurrents of the 18th century were strikingly absent;The Mythic scenes did not address Christian mysticism as far as I could see; the Arthurian had landscapes and the hallows and quarters, etc. and year-long meditative system with months/seasons and a fey-Arthurian cycle that would recall a general pagan sensibility and earth spirituality.

I believe the Druidcraft suggests that it has built upon those late 20th century themes of tarot. The Arthurian Tarot's first use of a landscape of mythos and it's beginning of the year in Spring through the Spring of the next year does reflect an unusual system, a kind of like a 'year and a day' of study that some people might find strikingly different. Caitlin Mathews has since built a similar calendar cycle in her Celtic Wisdom Tarot.

So I find the Druidcraft a culmination of accumulated British pagan tarot systems and ideas that really feels different from what I think of RWS-based systems.

4) I'm not certain, but the Arthurian does not deal in reversals, so that also is a new approach: I don't remember about the Mythic.

I am not on any Christian or Jewish discussion forums that use tarot, so perhaps those who follow that spirituality can suggest different tarots that follow that belief system or allow for parallels that work for them.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's very odd, but I also might suggest the Osho-Zen was one of the first popular titles and interesting meditative decks with a parable-like flavor that would use each card as a mini-lesson, something that would mimic the tarot titles and numbers progression, but not really picturing the number of pips on the card, if I recall the designs right.

I believe that I have read of pagan/druid/wiccan believers have identified those three above in terms of readable and favored decks among others.

I'm certain that I'm forgetting more tarots, but I'm trying to think of popular titles that I knew of once...I don't have the Osho Zen or Mythic anymore. I favored the Hallowquest of the three titles I mentioned of the 1990s.

This is my opinion only and I may have to edit the above later--sorry it's coming out a little too wordy.

Best regards

Cerulean

Fulgour

A Breath of Inspiration

Revelations Tarot
aka Adflatus Tarot

http://adflatus.dthought.net/

Zach Wong: "Adflatus, Latin for breath or inspiration was
conceived in early 2000 in the midst of a journey, which
I embarked upon in trying to understand the vocabulary
of the tarot. The many images, metaphors and symbolism
that could be found in the various decks available -
traditional and contemporary, failed to connect
with my being.

I grew weary of my journey trying to find the one deck,
which I could do my own readings with and decided to
venture on a project of creating my own. Here each card
would have it's own meaning, particular to myself as well
as incorporate the language of the tarot.

Aeclectic Tarot:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/revelations/

The Revelations Tarot has illuminated artwork with a swirling
effect reminiscent of stained glass. Its art is double-ended,
with images seen merging through the centre of the cards.

And be sure to check out:
The Tarot Garden

http://www.tarotgarden.com/

Designer, Artist: Zach Wong
Country of Publication: U.S.A.
Number of Cards: 78
Publication Year: 2005
Publication Status: In Print
Description: Unusual “double-ended” tarot that graphically
provides both upright and reversed interpretation symbolism.
The illustration style has a very “modern fantasy” feel to it,
with a simliar flavor to the Sacred Rose Tarot deck...
[but really not at all in any way like it in the least].
Tarot Garden Inventory Class: Boutique / In stock

And why not treat yourself... and read the cards,
without comparing them to comparative reviews?

Zephyros

Thank you for your replies:)

Yes, now that I think of it, the Osho Zen and the Adflatus both present two new schools of thought. Very interesting!

zachlost

Schools of thought?

In all modesty, Revelations merely gives a voice to what has always been there.

Sophie

The only new(ish) tarot system I can think of (all the other decks mentioned are derivatives), which departs in its esoteric structure from the TdM, the RWS and the Thoth is El Gran Tarot Esoterico. But I suppose it depends what you mean by "new". There are many decks that have done something new, building on existing ground - Rachel Pollack's Shining Tribe, or the Haindl Tarot, for example.

rachelcat

Just to emphasize what others have already said:

In addition to the "Big Three"--Marseille, RWS, and Thoth, I have found that there are at least two other main tarot "systems": Egyptian (Paul Christian, C.C. Zain) and Spanish (El Gran Tarot Esoterico and Crystal).

What others am I missing??

HearthCricket

I would have to say that there seems to be more that revolve around intuition, rather than all those basic RW symbols, that are really nice to read from. Haindl and Archeon are the first to come to my mind, and maybe Secret Forest. And I am sure there are more, but these are the ones I am familiar with.

Would anyone say the Gilded and the Tarot of Dreams are taking a step in a new direction?

Noir

I am currently working with the Tarot of Dreams, which I deeply appreciate and feel is one of the most beautiful decks currently available. In terms of the question the OP posed, however, I would say that while the Tarot of Dreams is signficantly evolved relative to the Gilded Tarot, it is still very much rooted in the RWS symbology as compared to, say, the Osho Zen.

Ciro has made some significant changes in the deck - for example, the Hierophant has been transformed into the card "Faith" - but from what I have read in his posts and interviews, it was not his intention to create a whole new system of Tarot with this deck. However, given his passion for this subject, perhaps this will be a project for the future.

In terms of innovation, the addition of the fluid, animated Major Arcana images on the CD-ROM does provide a different way of experiencing the cards. Perhaps this could be considered a new direction if one is looking for a more immersive experience of the Tarot.

I wanted to add that there is a friendly and welcoming Tarot of Dreams study group for anyone that is interested in participating, in the Study Group section. :)