Hello. Just gathering opinions on a new personal insight into The Hierophant

Kingfish

Bit of background--have been interested in th Tarot for years---recently purcased a whole bunch of books and decks. I've basically been studying the philosophical, historical, and practical background to Tarot, and have been studying the major Triumphs. I've read many interpretations of each Archetype, and have been more or less synthesizing and sifting the information, finding the common, most general all inclusive thread, and most of all, what the particular Archetype means to me --how it relates to my experience, in fact, how it is me---(yikes!)
Anyways, I've been stuck on The Hierophant for sometime. All the references to religous authority have never kicked in for me perhaps due to the fact that my parents never had any interest in Religion per se let alone religous authority. It simply wasn't a part of their world to the extent that it was never quite mentioned one way or the other. Consequently, it was never a part of my world.
However, being a classical pianist/musician/teacher and artist in general, I certainly can relate to spirituality in the broadest sense, that is, the manipulation of material or matter into spirit. That, I think, is what all masterpieces of art accomplish. It is the process that I strive for through music and what I teach to my students, more or less. The mastery of one masterpiece of music can and does take years, and never really ends--it's always transforming, offering different and greater insight---higher levels of consciousness, being in touch with spirit, leaving the self behind, freedom, or whatever you want to call it.
Anyways, that brings me to the point and thank you for bearing with all of this "blabber". A friend of mine today was talking about a certain species of chimpanzee in Africa that are the most advanced of apes and the closest to us. One in captivity has been taught a vocabulary of over 3000 words and sentences, with complete comprehension. They have been observed in the wild as actually being in an evolutionary process. The have recently discovered swimming for instance and have taken to the rivers, which is unprecedented for the species. They also are making tools for killing various prey---different tools adapted for specific prey, and are refining these tools. Scientists say that the biggest block to their learning is the need for immediate gratification. During this discussion I started to picture the Hierophant. It occured to me that the cornerstone to learning is "delay in gratification." You must learn what you need to learn and with patience and accepting that there is no "instant" product----just a process or a road towards accomplishment if you will. To me, "delay in gratification" is the essence of self discipline. Without it, there would be no civilization--no one would have the patience to create or finish anything. I am excited because I now have a concept to wrap around the Hierophant and pull everything together for myself. To me, the Hierophant holds the key to Civilization. He IS the spritual teacher, but what he TEACHES is the PROCESS by which we touch a spritual level. It's the hard, hard work, the self sacrifice, the support and guidance, the struggle to go beyond your self, the love for and mastery of the material--or as I mentioned before, the manipulation of matter into spirit. That's how I am seeing the Hierophant now.
The reversal would be the need for immediate gratification and could manifest itself as a learning block or could plummet to drug addiction which is, instantly inducing pleasurable or altered states without doing the work, and becoming obsessed with it.
Thanks for bearing with this. I never came across quite this angle as a way of viewing the Hierophant, in my readings, although it must exist somewhere. I was curious about opinions on my take.

RGRDS,

Kingfish

YDM42

Kingfish, I am very impressed with your understanding. I really support you in this. Especially since the challenge of the Hierophant is Temperance. In this day and age and in the process of our spiritual evolution this really makes sense.

This card has come up over and over for me as one of my challenges. Now it totally makes sense. Thank you for the insight. I really don't have a lot of respect for the process and as a result of my impatience and lack of long attention span, guess what...I have little self-discipline. I mean that this is a challenge for a person who is considered adhd- but it extends to all facets of life and understanding it on a spiritual level is so very helpful.

Umbrae

Freakin' brilliant...

balenciaga

The Hierophant is the spiritual, the moral brought to earth. To be used in one's day-to-day life. Real life application of moral codes. So one does not require religion per se, of an organized type, in order to live like the Hierophant. It is whatever works for you, whatever guides you.

GenoviaJ

I would also add that spirit manifest through the material, not the other way around. In reading what you wrote I am not sure about how you stated that.
We experience spirituality through the physical body, so heriophany would be the process in which we can do this. The "Process" as you state is very important and we do not arrive at this via instant gratification. Returning back to spirit is a process in itself that goes through the physical body- the earth, humanity. You are dead on with this one.

Shaymus

The Hierophant is a guide, can be spiritual. The esoteric function of this card is hearing, and thus has perfect pitch (interesting that you are a musician). Perhaps for your students, You are their Hierophant.

Because the esoteric function is hearing, this card would indicate a good listener as well, so it could indicate a counsellor and/or mediator (marriage or otherwise).

Shaymus

satine

I like this a lot... Not surprisingly, research suggests that a person's Emotional Intelligence (which includes the ability to delay gratification) is a much better predictor for success than an individual's IQ (Intelligence Quotient), as measured by a standardized IQ test. In the U.S. overall, analytical intelligence is emphasized (within the public school system and society at large), within a context of a "Get it now! Do it now!" mentality. Patience is typically not seen as a virtue... yet to be truly touched by a piece of art, a composition, a concerto, one must PAUSE. The internal noise has to stop, at least briefly. I can definitely see this as the key to civilization and to spirituality... the manipulation of matter into spirit.

I will reflect on this a bit more and may return to this thread later today... Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Kingfish!

Kingfish

thanks for your feedback!

YDM42 said:
Kingfish, I am very impressed with your understanding. I really support you in this. Especially since the challenge of the Hierophant is Temperance. In this day and age and in the process of our spiritual evolution this really makes sense.

This card has come up over and over for me as one of my challenges. Now it totally makes sense. Thank you for the insight. I really don't have a lot of respect for the process and as a result of my impatience and lack of long attention span, guess what...I have little self-discipline. I mean that this is a challenge for a person who is considered adhd- but it extends to all facets of life and understanding it on a spiritual level is so very helpful.

Thanks YDM42.

I didn't expect that my "ramblings" would help someone, but who could ask for anything more? Makes my day! Self discipline is a process and a lifetime project. If you have, as you mentioned, a problem with self disciplne (I mean everyone struggles with it more or less), then you should start working on it in small ways. and not turn it into some big drama. Absolutely everyone has the experience of doing something that they don't particularly want to do, but that has to be done. Just apply that experience to something you would love to learn, and begin to do a little work at it daily. I always tell my students that I am not teaching them just the "piano" per se, but am teaching them to be patient with themselves, patient with their learning, actualy a whole different way of "being"---different then what we are generally "taught." There's just no growth, or enjoyment, without patience! For those who eventually follow my instructions, the results are spectacular, and they usually stay with me for years!

Kingfish

thanks for your support!

Umbrae said:
Freakin' brilliant...

Thanks Umbrae--- I felt guilty about rambling on so much online, and was wondering if it would make sense to anyone, or if people would think I'm a bit "touched" which I admittedly am---(never met a musician yet who wasn't--and I've met a lot!!)
But I feel happy that YOU could relate to it.

Kingfish

Thanks for your feed back!

balenciaga said:
The Hierophant is the spiritual, the moral brought to earth. To be used in one's day-to-day life. Real life application of moral codes. So one does not require religion per se, of an organized type, in order to live like the Hierophant. It is whatever works for you, whatever guides you.

I just wanted to say that for me, "moral" behavior is "natural" and "organic" and emenates from getting "back" in touch with one's "humanity." I believe a sense of right and wrong is innate, and that we are all born with it, but loose touch with it due to negative "social" influences. Therefore, I don't believe that "moral" codes need to be applied. I, in fact, view that as an incorrect process and would attribute it to the Hierophant reversed. That is just my opinion, of course, but thanks for making me think about it, and taking the time to read. Much appreciaiated!