Help needed please :(

floracove

huredriel,
i have a HerbMaster CD, it has all sorts of interesting info on use of herbs.

I'm gonna c & p some of that here for you.

Hope it helps.

LUNG, CONGESTION
Water
Aerate pure water by beating it with an eggbeater. Drink it at once.
LUNG, COUGH
Lungwort tea
1 to 4 cups daily.
LUNG, PHLEGM
Lungwort tea
1 to 4 cups daily.
LUNG, STRENGTHENER
Calamus root
Yarrow
LUNG, WEAK
Lungwort tea
1 to 4 cups daily.

Mrs. Grieve, A Modern Herbal
Lungwort, a member of the Borage tribe, is found in woods and thickets, but is not common, and is by some only regarded as an escape from gardens, where it is cultivated now mostly for the sake of its ornamental leaves, which are curiously spotted with white.

Synonyms for Calamus root
Mrs. Grieve, A Modern Herbal
Calamus. Sweet Flag. Sweet Root. Sweet Rush. Sweet Cane. Gladdon. Sweet Myrtle. Myrtle Grass. Myrtle Sedge. Cinnamon Sedge

Catmoon

Hope your mum manage to control the disease, I'm not familiar with COPD, but I am with quit smoking so here it goes: helped me a lot aromaterapy, I used "rescue" from Bach florals, to decrease the stress in a s.o.s. basis and I used a red jasper on my coronary chacra. By the way maybe crysocola (also a crystal )can help because is very usefull in respiratory disorders (even asma and alergies), in spite of some side effects: increases vitality, gives more insight, less stress, harmonize thyroid andprotects from ulcers. Believe me crystals realy work. In Portugal we have an erb"tanchagem" wich is suberb and in a crisys you can use camomille and melisa (erva cidreira) infussion to calm crises and help conventional medication. Be awear that eucaliptus depending on the dosis can be toxic. Get well.
catianamoon

ednadorothy

Book to Help You and Your MoM

Prescription for Nutritional Healing ...A practical a-z reference.......Minerals Herbs and Food supplements,,,,,,Authors are Phyllis A. Balch and James F. Balch I imagine ABEBOOKS.COM would be a good place to start on line. It has been a great help to all my family and friends with various health issues. I am sure it can help you too!

Grace and Peace
Edna

huredriel

Thank you all sooooo much ........ we're starting to *cut down* rather than quit smoking immediately as my mum actually stopped for 4 months solid last year ...... unfortunately that meant that her breathing went from being able to go to an aerobics class three times a week .... to getting severely out of breath after walking 100 yards. Apparently her consultant has told her that she can breathe better when smoking ..... as the hot smoky air inhaled opens up the lungs ..... of course at the same time all the brachia (I think it is) are dropping off like leaves from a tree. So you can imagine how she feels about that happening again, especially after being told by several consultants that it was all in her head! Thankfully she has a good consultant now!

I am going to print all of these suggestions out and send them up to her ..... I've also visited a thread on crystals ... and there are 2 which deal specifically with emphesyma ... and have already emailed the links and info up to her.

Thank you all so much, your thoughts are much appreciated.

Hugs
x Huredriel

Catmoon

Glad you liked it. Forgot someting, maybe yoga respiratory tecnics can optimise oxigen absortion, and Do In (automassage tecnics) may also help, as a accumpressure tecnique as well as reflexology. Those are just ideas.
catmoon

floracove

huredriel said:
emphesyma ...

HerbMaster said:
Emphysema
A, B-Complex, C, E, Folic
acid, Friendly bacteria,
Aloe Vera juice for trace
minerals

here's a bit on emphasyma.

huredriel

Brilliant thanks :) ........ have now added pressure from work colleagues ....... sooooooo another plan ...... am gonna go cold turkey myself at the weekend (I absolutely refuse to throw away what I have at home :D) ...... and hope that guilts mother into doing the same ....... her ego/want has been named Spike (from the Gremlins film) and he's HUGE!!!! Need to find something to deflate him quick LOL.

Ankou

Hey sweetie, ((((love and good mojo for you and your mom))))

My mom sent me an email last week and this was part of it

"Smoking: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6,
B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them,
help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal."

I don't know what the source was, but its something else to try.

When you stop smoking after having been a smoker for awhile, it takes your system some time to recoup from the withdrawl. Usually there is a lot of coughing and nastyness while your lungs clear out the tar. It's not pretty or fun, but once your system gets over it I've been told that your lungs recover two years health for every year you don't smoke. Thats pretty good odds.

My husband wants to quit for his birthday this year, and I think its about time we both stopped. Plus its kind of like dieting, its easier to do with someone else.

Some herbs listed by John Lust to help quit smoking:

American Angelica
Black Cohosh
Blue Cohosh
Blue Vervain
Catnip
Echinachea
Fragrent Valerian
Hedge Hyssop
Kola Tree
Magnolia
Motherwort
Nerve Root
Peppermint
Quassia
Skullcap
Slippery Elm
Sweet flag

Let us know what works, for the rest of us looking to quit :)

You might also want to check out Susan Weed's wise woman forum.
There is alot of helpful discution about herbs and healthy lifestyles for women. There is even a section specifically for older women and one for women fighting cancer.

http://www.susunweed.com/weedforum/index.php

Love and Light,

Ankou

einhverfr

huredriel said:
Thank you all sooooo much ........ we're starting to *cut down* rather than quit smoking immediately as my mum actually stopped for 4 months solid last year ...... unfortunately that meant that her breathing went from being able to go to an aerobics class three times a week .... to getting severely out of breath after walking 100 yards. Apparently her consultant has told her that she can breathe better when smoking ..... as the hot smoky air inhaled opens up the lungs ..... of course at the same time all the brachia (I think it is) are dropping off like leaves from a tree. So you can imagine how she feels about that happening again, especially after being told by several consultants that it was all in her head! Thankfully she has a good consultant now!

I am going to print all of these suggestions out and send them up to her ..... I've also visited a thread on crystals ... and there are 2 which deal specifically with emphesyma ... and have already emailed the links and info up to her.

Thank you all so much, your thoughts are much appreciated.

Hugs
x Huredriel

I hate to recommend smoking *anything* to your mother in her condition, but you might try a small amount of wooley mullein (Verbasculum thapsus) in a pipe. It used to be commonly smoked as a treatmen for bronchitus because the smoke contains a fair amount of an antispasmodic mucilege. Apparently smoking it is the most effective delivery mechanism and I have found it helpful for dilating bronchial tubes when I had bronchitus (it is amazing to suddenly feel like you can *breathe* again). In general, however, as this is a chronic condition, I would worry about the small amounts of burning resins and how they might in the long run make the condition worse. It might be OK for occasional use, however, but I am not a physician and am unfamiliar with COPD.

A second thing to take a look at (and maybe try first) might be an herbal steam, as the warm moist air might help. Maybe add a small amount of peppermint or eucaliptus?