Hindsight readings for learning

Kitichi

Hello all,

Has anyone tried or thought about doing readings about past events, for the purpose of studying and learning tarot? The upside is that you'd clearly know what you were reading on, and thus it would be expected that interpreting the cards and combinations between them would be easier. I suppose the downside could be that because you know the situation so well, you could influence the cards to draw what you'd expect to see, and thus not really learn anything new. Any thoughts on this?

Frindle

Hi Kitichi;

I have definitely heard of reading on a past event to better understand it,
and learning with your cards.
If using a spread like the celtic cross, you may gain insight you
were not seeing before for the basis or the hopes/fears.
Stay objective (as in all readings for yourself)

There was a book published a few years ago by
"The Back in Time Tarot" which focused on reading by recreating
a known event for more insight to the question and and the inquirer.

Since you choose the cards deliberately, this would strengthen
personal insight with the meanings. And it's how you are interacting
with the cards, not a book telling you the meanings.
I found it at my local library.

gregory

James Ricklef is big on reading for historical characters and people from fairy stories - it works really well.

It's also quite fun to do it for people in TV shows.

Amanda

Yes, I've read on past events to learn an oracle deck. It didn't influence me much, to be honest, because I barely knew the deck at all, so it was still surprising to see what fell where to describe events in a pleasantly shocking sort of way as I looked up the meanings of the cards and tried to connect them.

Masa

My readings for fictional characters are always hilariously accurate, but I haven't been impressed with anything I've done about younger versions of myself. I guess I'm pickier about those.

MaineGirl117

I find the celtic cross helpful to read into the past and connect how events unfolded into the future.

I also go back through readings I've typed up for myself or have had done for me, and review it to see how things turned out over time. I'm a big believer in hindsight analysis to really *learn* the context of cards in readings.

bogiesan

Hello all,
Has anyone tried or thought about doing readings about past events, for the purpose of studying and learning tarot? The upside is that you'd clearly know what you were reading on, and thus it would be expected that interpreting the cards and combinations between them would be easier. I suppose the downside could be that because you know the situation so well, you could influence the cards to draw what you'd expect to see, and thus not really learn anything new. Any thoughts on this?

Seems a more indicative exercise would be to look in a newspaper to find an event that is coming up soon, say, a race or trial or concert -- something in which you do not have a personal interest -- and cast your cards. Record the spread and your interpretation. Try to forget about the event.

Wait a few weeks. Spread your cards again and record the spread and your interpretation.

Look up the results a review of the event. Get out your original notes. Compare and contrast the two documents.

Kitichi

Many thanks to all for your input. It looks like this can be a potentially good method for learning the cards. I also appreciate the other ideas, too - thank you! :)

Anastacia

I used to do quick readings during the ads of intense tv dramas. It gave some really helpful snapshots on what was happening and where things were going.
One that I remember as really helpful in increasing appreciation and understanding of the cards was 7 of swords and Devil came up during one episode where the main character was dealing with drug addiction.
Also for reality TV shows where one person each week faces eviction from the show. I would pull a card for each contestant. That was really helpful for seeing how the cards interact.

SunChariot

Hello all,

Abolutely and they can be very healing. Readings on the past are just as useful as any other kind. Especially is you need to understand something in the past or why it happened as it did and the other person is no longer in your life to ask. They can be clearer and more clearcut that readings on the future or course as when we read on the future the future can still change, but the past is set and done.

I've done this a number of times, but the one I remember most was when I asked why someone had been so mean to me in my past. It was literally decades ago like 30 to 40 years ago. I expected to hear that they were a selfish and uncaring person. But instead I heard how they were feeling scared and insecure and did not know how to handle their feelings. It really did give me a much better clear understanding and it helped me have empahy, to feel for that person and drop any residual pain from it.

These readings can be very usefiul. Tarot can answer questiosn on anything past. present or futuire. If you want to know, the cards can tell you.