Hmm I've been eyeing up a Lenormand deck lately...

Sophie

I can't actually get a Lenormand easily here - I have to order it from overseas - but I am going to practice with playing cards until I can obtain a Lenormand deck. I like the combination of playing cards and symbols. I assume I can just draw the symbol on the playing card? (trying to figure out how to draw the people - they will have to be stick figures: I am no draughtsman!)

Sophie

Well, I found somebody to send me a Lenormand, so I should have it in 2-3 weeks, and in the meantime, I have defaced a pack of playing cards :D

It's a great way to learn, because I have to imagine the symbol!

I've started a thread of weekly draws in the oracle readings section, if anyone wants to join me.

I'm finding it quite easy to pick up, for now.

In addition to NCN's great intro, here's a French-language site with pictures of the cards, write-ups for all of the cards, and some traditional combos.

Gavriela

If you do need to get a deck from Europe and are having problems, I can vouch for NoCoolName - he's helped me out before, and even refunded my money (we played paypal ping-pong for a while!) when my deck didn't turn up in a timely manner.

I haven't been able to get hold of the Esoterik Shop people, and they don't have Canada in their country list. And it's the only place I've seen the Astrologische without the book, or Isabel's Traum.

But I don't have money to spend on any more card decks for a while, however tempting they may be.

If you do, NCM is trustworthy if you can't get something shipped to your country.

Vesper

This is great, nocoolname.

I just got a French Cartomancy deck (on sale at Llewellyn for five bucks), and it seems to be very similiar to the Lenormand. I've printed out your meanings to try with my little deck, which I just love.

One thing I'm not sure of: you use the word "resile" which, as far as I know, is not a word in English. Not sure what is meant by it, maybe "resolve"?

NoCoolName

lazy

Hi Evelone, as the forum is rather slow in the moment I didn't check where I used that word. Could you give me the quote, I check with my notes and give you the correct translation? I looked up a couple of words at leo.org (to cover up what I missed at school) but my plan backfired....
Cheers
NoCoolName

Vesper

Resile

NoCoolName said:
No 19: The tower (6 of spades)

Meaning for card reading: public authorities, court house, enterprise, loneliness, government, border, isolation

Daily tendency
Today you will live in isolation and seclusion. You will resile or are diligent while making preparations.

Here is one instance of the word.

Thanks, Nocoolname, for your work in translating!

NoCoolName

leo.org is to blame

to resile sich zurückziehen |zog zurück, zurückgezogen|

the english word i was looking for was one which ought to be stylish for: not to take part. Withdraw. Close the doors. Be with yourself. Prepare.
And do all these things in a kingly (or queenly) manner.

Show the chavs that the moon doesn't bother when the dog barks. (or when the wolf howls - but don't jump off the sledge, then).

NoCoolname
(lovin the new novel by Iain Banks)

Vesper

NoCoolName said:
to resile sich zurückziehen |zog zurück, zurückgezogen|

the english word i was looking for was one which ought to be stylish for: not to take part. Withdraw. Close the doors. Be with yourself. Prepare.
And do all these things in a kingly (or queenly) manner.

Withdraw is a good word, then. Or to seclude onself (the verb is reflexive, though, so you can't just say "to seclude.") If you were talking about something unhealthy, you might say "to isolate oneself".

flashdownglory

New Website

Check out www.spirutual-balance.com for information on Lenormand Cards, including meanings, combinations and the Pages of Shustah!