Hoodia and Green Tea?

floracove

Hi!

I have a friend who works in the local Wal-Mart, and one day i went looking into the diet aids, and ask her opinion on some of the things they carried.
There were a few she told me to stay away from, as when you take it if you don't get it swallowed down quick enough can literally choke you to death as the capsule swells up when combined with the fluid you drink the caplets down with.
The warning is on the box even!

Ok, so I'm not wanting to choke to death just to be smaller.
I've tried diet aids before and some have made me terribly ill, when I was a young teen, so I'm kinda skittish of these things anyway...

She told me rather than buying a product that could choke you to death, it would be better to have a bottle of Hoodia, and a bottle of Green Tea.
I already had the green tea so I bought a bottle of Hoodia.

What I would like to know, is, does anyone else here use Hoodia and Green Tea?

Does it make you sick to your stomach?
If so, how long does the ill feeling last?
Do you get use to the Hoodia, which is what I think it making me sick, since the Green Tea I had been taking does not make me sick.

I'm thinking that since this is new to me that it may be washing out any toxic build up inside. and it will eventually stop making me fell sick.
I don't mind being cleaned out, just wish it didn't make me feel so bad.

Anyone?

GoddessArtemis

I've tried Hoodia...did nothing. I went through the whole bottle, and it's supposed to act as an appetite suppressant, which it did not.

As for green tea...it's a good source of antioxidant, but beyond that, all it does is make you visit the restroom a lot...so if you're losing weight, it's because you can't hold anything in!

I've tried most pills...even "diet" pills..and either they're high in caffeine (give you palpitations), do nothing, or give you diarrhea.

Best option is cutting calories, watching fats/carbs, eating higher protein (keeps you fuller longer, so you eat less), and drinking lots and lots of water. Exercising at least 3x a week or more, if your body can take it, is an important part of this regimen. Aerobic exercises help your body to burn fat, and weights increase muscle mass (but not bulk up), so that your body can become a better fat-burning machine.

Sadly, there are no quick fixes to dieting...and this is experience speaking. Just eat healthy, get lots of sleep, exercise..and slowly, you'll see results that will last.

GA

Tara2007

floracove said:
Hi!

I have a friend who works in the local Wal-Mart, and one day i went looking into the diet aids, and ask her opinion on some of the things they carried.
There were a few she told me to stay away from, as when you take it if you don't get it swallowed down quick enough can literally choke you to death as the capsule swells up when combined with the fluid you drink the caplets down with.
The warning is on the box even!

Ok, so I'm not wanting to choke to death just to be smaller.
I've tried diet aids before and some have made me terribly ill, when I was a young teen, so I'm kinda skittish of these things anyway...

She told me rather than buying a product that could choke you to death, it would be better to have a bottle of Hoodia, and a bottle of Green Tea.
I already had the green tea so I bought a bottle of Hoodia.

What I would like to know, is, does anyone else here use Hoodia and Green Tea?

Does it make you sick to your stomach?
If so, how long does the ill feeling last?
Do you get use to the Hoodia, which is what I think it making me sick, since the Green Tea I had been taking does not make me sick.

I'm thinking that since this is new to me that it may be washing out any toxic build up inside. and it will eventually stop making me fell sick.
I don't mind being cleaned out, just wish it didn't make me feel so bad.

Anyone?

I've tried Hoodia, and did not have any kind of side effects at all, but I have to tell you that it did not take away hunger. I'm thin, but I get these awful food cravings during PMS, so I thought I'd give Hoodia try. I took it faithfully for days, and if anything, I ate more than usual.

There's a lot of info about it on the internet. Oprah talked about it on one of her shows a while back as well.

As for Green Tea, I don't think I've ever noticed any weight difference. But I really don't need to lose so maybe that's why, but you would think that if there is any truth to the weight loss aspect, I would see some kind of loss, a pound or two at least. I've been drinking green tea every day for years now, I'd say about 2 or 3, because of the boost to the immune system it is supposed to give, but as for the weight loss - I really haven't seen any at all.

GoddessArtemis

Tara2007 said:
I took it faithfully for days, and if anything, I ate more than usual.
Actually, same experience. I kept eating more, as if I was constantly more hungry than not.

GA

FaeryGodmother

I just saw an ad in an aussie magazine from the australian government saying that anyone who wanted to important Hoodia into australia had to get a permit becuase "the high demand... could lead to the plant becoming endangered or extinct in the wild." The plant is actually listed under the Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.

AJ

The plant is so remote and difficult to harvest, that I expect if there is any real Hoodia in diet supplements it wouldn't be enough to do anything at all. They are just trading on the plant name because most of us would dearly love a magic bullet, me included...but there aren't any.

floracove

FaeryGodmother said:
I just saw an ad in an aussie magazine from the australian government saying that anyone who wanted to important Hoodia into australia had to get a permit becuase "the high demand... could lead to the plant becoming endangered or extinct in the wild." The plant is actually listed under the Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.

I had absolutely no idea of this, I won't be buying any more. Thanks.

AJ said:
The plant is so remote and difficult to harvest, that I expect if there is any real Hoodia in diet supplements it wouldn't be enough to do anything at all.

Oh, that's even scarier, so then there's no telling what's in these caplets...

Alright then, thanks.

Heavensent

What I know....

Hoodia is a plant mostly found in sub-saharan Africa and in a particular tribe (the men) that starts with an 'S' (sorry, can't remember the name) uses it for expeditions when they are looking for food for the tribe to bring back home and they take Hoodia so they won't become hungry for I believe 3 days. Now having said that, please realize that Hoodia was used in its purest form UNLIKE what you will receive in stores after it has been processed with God knows what. There is no pill, not yet anyway, that will drop the pounds. It might aid a little by getting rid of excess water, but changing your diet and exercising is the only way (non-surgically of course) to lose weight or depression (which I don't advocate). I feel bad that you are ill, it might be because of the caffeine in the pill (that usually happens) or something else in the pill. Very small amounts of Hoodia is probably used because think about it, if someone could just take a pill and loose weight quickly, each pill would be no less than $150. Hope you feel better. I am climbing off of my soapbox now.

SerpentaAzothi

Hi, never heard of these things, but I know if your body has a reaction from something its trying to tell you stop dont feed me that. People usually dont ask things from their body but I have come to learn if you talk to your chakras they will tell you in any way they can if something isnt right in your system that your using to lose weight. Hope that makes sense, just my opinion, hope that helps.

Serpenta

Sushi

I had the same experience with Hoodia, and I never tried green tea for weight loss since I drink it already, and I know it doesn't have an appetite supressing effect.

The only herbal weight loss remedy that works is ephedra. You can say what you will about it's safety, personally, I think its scare tactics. There's only been about 100 deaths from ephedra over the years, which when you compare it to other over the counter pharmaceuticals, is negligible.
Epehdra's weight loss effects are well documented, and its also been shown to have a muscle sparing effect in the weightloss, which means the the proportion of fat to muscle that you lose is far better. It acts as an antagonist on certain receptors in the adipose cells, causing them to release the stored fat. Not even the Rx weight loss drugs available compare to the effects of ephedra.

I truly believe that it was pressure from pharmeceutical companies that ended up having it pulled off the shelves. The FDA, it was later ruled, over stepped it's bounds by trying to regulate a product that wasn't considered a pharmaceutical. Despite popular perception, it is still available in Canada as 8mg tablets marked as a bronchial dialator, and it is now available in the US again in some weightloss products, though at double and triple the previous prices and only through mail order. The previous products that had it and reformulated to omit, still have not added it back in, no doubt due to fears of lawsuits.