How can I check my birthday time?

ivanna

Mandmaud, thanks so much for hijacking my thread.
This is very interesting.
Minderwiz, you mean, the "Traditional Astrology for Today" is based on medieval astrology?
I have read the thread and the interview with interest, but not completely because I am at work, so I will re-read all this night, but I found extremly interesting what you said about medieval and modern astrology.
I'm fed up with the psychological mood that actually is given to tarot and astrology, and after reading that I may get a book about medieval astrology.
Thanks!!

It's not pure traditional Astrology, in fact it's only mildly so but for someone who wants to try it out without being hit by culture shock, it's a very good starting point. Indeed it was one of my starting points on my voyage.

In hindsight there's material in there that I would disagree with, or is not 'classical' (but then that's a very vague term) but the shear fact that it helped get me to take an interest says an awful lot about the regard I hold it in.

For a quite short but succinct differentiation between the Modern and the Traditional, there's Ben Dykes' Traditional Astrology for Today'.

If either of you are interested in Magical practices or Hermeticism, Dykes has been interviewed on SkyScript:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/bdykes.html

He's actually very interested in the 'magical' side of Astrology and has written a book on it.

ivanna

Before continuing with my work...
If I understood well, the medieval astrology is predictive, rather than the modern, which is more "psychological", isn't it?
In that case, could you recommend a book to learn the medieval techniques to do predictions?
I'm involved in some magical studies, and I'm more interested on the predictive side of the astrology.
Thanks!

Minderwiz

This is very interesting.
Minderwiz, you mean, the "Traditional Astrology for Today" is based on medieval astrology?
I have read the thread and the interview with interest, but not completely because I am at work, so I will re-read all this night, but I found extremly interesting what you said about medieval and modern astrology.
I'm fed up with the psychological mood that actually is given to tarot and astrology, and after reading that I may get a book about medieval astrology.
Thanks!!

Traditional Astrology For Today is written for people interested in the difference between the Traditional Approach and the Modern Approach - so you will find a much expanded treatment of some of the ideas he covers in the interview. Whilst it's not specifically confined to showing a Medieval approach that is his area of expertise and it is largely based on that. it's a very good start to the approach because it sets out some of the key ideas and methods, though as a short book it is, as its subtitle says, 'An Introduction'

I would seriously suggest it as a starting point before proceeding much further

Before continuing with my work...
If I understood well, the medieval astrology is predictive, rather than the modern, which is more "psychological", isn't it?
In that case, could you recommend a book to learn the medieval techniques to do predictions?
I'm involved in some magical studies, and I'm more interested on the predictive side of the astrology.
Thanks!

All Astrology before the twentieth century was event oriented. It's function was to predict. That is not to say that there's a complete absence of character assessment or 'psychology' but it's shorter and a prelude to prediction.

Much of the groundwork was done at the outset of Horoscopic Astrology by the Hellenistic Astrologers, largely based in Alexandria, around 100 BC to 200 AD. They, in effect, invented Astrology (or specifically the use of charts based on the Ascendant or Horoskopus) and the interpretation of charts.

Much of today's Astrology is derived from them and from the developments introduced by Medieval (particularly Arabic or Persian) Astrologers.

I found Medieval Astrology difficult to get into. I came to it via Lilly and the Seventeenth Century version but whilst I could find translations, there wasn't much in the way of a general textbook. In particular, I couldn't really understand where some of the concepts came from. That's why I started to study Hellenistic Astrology as its the foundation of all later Astrology. There are differences between the Medieval approach and the Hellenistic one, as you would expect over a period of 1,000 to 1,500 years. but nothing like the difference between Lilly or even early nineteenth century Astrologers and what happened in the twentieth century.

As for Books:

I said above, go for Dykes Traditional Astrology For Today.

For a more detailed coverage that doesn't involve reading translations, go for 'On the Heavenly Spheres' by Helena Avelar and Luis Ribiero. It's Medieval to Sixteenth Century based and it tries to explain some of the techniques and methods used. However it's rather light on predictions (I believe they intend to issue a follow up that will cover that.)

Joseph Crane's book Astrological Roots; The Hellenistic Legacy looks at some predictive techniques that made their way into Medieval Astrology, such as Profections and ones that didn't such as Zodiacal Releasing. It also has a good section on Lots, which were developed with something of a vengeance by Medieval Arab Astrologers (and became know as Arabic Parts)

If you want to venture into some translations, Ben Dykes has published 'Introductions to Traditional Astrology: Abu Ma'shar and al-Qabisi

This uses Introductory texts from both writers (al-Qabisi gave his name to the Alcabitus system of quadrant houses, though the system was in use in Hellenistic times). It's a thick volume and not cheap, which is why I didn't mention it earlier. Reading even translations can be demanding because many of the authors were writing for their students and therefore didn't include everything they taught, the remainder would be handed down orally.

Dykes has a plethora of books in which he translates texts. I don't find his style easy, but technically he's probably the most accurate. For me James Holden's translations are more readable, even if they miss some of the nuances picked up by Dykes.

Dykes has also edited Astrological Prediction: A Handbook of Techniques written by Turkish author Oner Doser - this might be the book you are looking for. It's recently published (Jan 2015) and I have it on order, though it's going to be a week to ten days before it arrives, so I can't tell you a lot about it at the moment. It is available on Amazon (at least in the UK) and there's a Look Inside so you can at least get an overview.

Lastly Dykes has written Astrological Magic: Basic Rituals & Meditations along with Jayne Gibson. Again it's expensive, as are all Dykes works with the exception of Traditional Astrology For Today It's not a work on prediction but it might be relevant to your magical studies. Another expensive tome so look before you buy. It's on Amazon. If you have Kindle Unlimited, you can download and read this book for free. The Kindle versions of Dykes books are fairly rudimentary in terms of the usual Kindle features and some of the charts don't work (though I haven't looked at this one) However as a virtual freebie, it's not something I bother about LOL.

OK There's more than one book there. Sorry, but I don't know of an obvious single volume.

Buy Dykes' TDFT and then either his Introductions or Avelar and Ribiero. The book on predictive techniques might be the third one. I'll let you know when I get it.

ivanna

Ummm, thanks so much.
Now I have many books to investigate.
The book Astrological Prediction: A Handbook of Techniques, seems to be very interesting, I have found in on Amazon. Surprisingly is not available in spain the "Look now", but I found it available on amazon.co.uk and it worked, so I was able to have a look and seems to be what I need.
I think that this book plus the one I am reading now will give be a decent base to start with my own natal chart interpretation.
I'm doing a magical course and I have to do some astrological exercices and I would like to get some fundations before trying it because I did it before and I got lost.
So I'm going to order ir, is affordable, 22 euros.

The price of Astrological Magic: Basic Rituals & Meditations is 44 euros in paper. I hate to read ebooks, and also I like to have the books on my shelve to refer to them when I need it. Also, more expensive, and for the moment I have enough rituals and meditations on my magical training, so I don't need to add more ... otherwise I won't ende the course never.

Thanks a lot. I'm happy with my hijacked thread!! :)
:love:

Minderwiz

Ummm, thanks so much.
Now I have many books to investigate.

Astrology books don't come cheap, at least not this sort which currently has a small market.

I have a friend (also an Aeclectic member) who has a lot of Dykes books but she is concerned that he's producing them faster than she can read them and it could cost her a fortune. As I said earlier, Dykes' translations are not easy to read and I find I need to take a lot of breaks - I'm half way through one of his texts but I found I had to break off and read other stuff. I'll go back to it one day LOL)

ivanna said:
The book Astrological Prediction: A Handbook of Techniques, seems to be very interesting, I have found in on Amazon. Surprisingly is not available in spain the "Look now", but I found it available on amazon.co.uk and it worked, so I was able to have a look and seems to be what I need.
I think that this book plus the one I am reading now will give be a decent base to start with my own natal chart interpretation.
I'm doing a magical course and I have to do some astrological exercices and I would like to get some fundations before trying it because I did it before and I got lost.
So I'm going to order ir, is affordable, 22 euros.

The price of Astrological Magic: Basic Rituals & Meditations is 44 euros in paper. I hate to read ebooks, and also I like to have the books on my shelve to refer to them when I need it. Also, more expensive, and for the moment I have enough rituals and meditations on my magical training, so I don't need to add more ... otherwise I won't ende the course never.

Thanks a lot. I'm happy with my hijacked thread!! :)

Yes, I agree that Astrological Prediction is a good choice, especially because it tries to blend both Traditional and Modern (it uses the outer planets, Chiron etc) and it includes the 'mistaken' system of the Astrological Alphabet (Eighth house = Scorpio = Pluto) that is alien to the tradition. That being said, you need to be aware of those approaches before you make your final choice about which method you are going to use. There's an awful lot of methods in there, so I'm sure that you will find ones that you can use.

I'm not so sure that the methods can be succesfully employed out of context, so I'm looking forward to seeing how much background is included. Eventually that might mean a further book dedicated to Medieval Astrology (assuming your interest in it remains).

ivanna

I assume there is a short market for that. I'm glad to be able to read in english with some fluency, because I think in spanish the offer is zero. The books over 30 euros are added to my whishlist and will have to wait to christmas and birthday gifts :(

Related to your friend, I have read today on Amazon reviews, that a reader said that Dycke's books seems to be all incomplete in order to make you buy another, and then another, and another Dyckes book. Dont' know if this is true or not, I just found it today.

I don't know yet what method or approach will I take, because in fact, I know nothing about astrology. But with the two books, the one Im reading and the one I ordered, I'm sure I have enough for chew for a while and be able to continue my magical studies.

Thank you

Minderwiz

Related to your friend, I have read today on Amazon reviews, that a reader said that Dycke's books seems to be all incomplete in order to make you buy another, and then another, and another Dyckes book. Dont' know if this is true or not, I just found it today.

LOL!!! I don't think that's true, though it might seem like that. I have some of the Holden translations of the same works as Dykes and there's nothing omitted. If anything there's more added in the way of introduction and footnotes. There is a large corpus of Medieval texts, it's just that Dykes seems bent on translating all of them, whether or not there's perfectly good existing translations already in existence. I read somewhere that he was going to re-translate some of the Hellenistic texts translated by Project Hindsight in the late '90's and early 2000's.

Chanah

I tend to agree with Minderwiz that Ben's translations are not an easy read; I, too, prefer Holden's. I still read Ben's books, they aren't so much bad as a bit too 'heavygoing' at times. Any good astrology book is probably going to make you work, but I don't think they need to make it feel like a slog, and sometimes that happens with Ben's translations - though I am glad he is translating, we need more people to do that!

A couple of things: Google Books is your friend here, I've found some Holden there, and not just a few pages.

Also, if you go to Ben's site, www.bendykes.com, you'll find that he also sells audio copies of workshops he's done. And he is a much, much better speaker than he is a writer. It goes without saying that the lectures/workshops are in modern English.

Minderwiz

Yes, 'heavygoing' is the word I was looking for. But his introductions are often very good - it was excellent in the book on Sahl and Abu Ma'shar that I am now stalled on. The brain needs time to absorb the material. But it was his translation double checked against Holden, that led me to the conclusion that the later Medieval writers reversed the notion of left and right aspects (in terms of power).

I would be one of the first to ask him to continue if he announced he was giving up translations. But he is heavy going. For a newcomer to Medieval Astrology his translations can be a real challenge, so I think something of a 'health' warning is advisable. That being said there's more meat and substance in one of his books than ten or twenty modern Astrology texts.

MandMaud

Yes, translation is such an important and complex skill. It can turn a good book into a mediocre one - vice versa, as well, I think.

Just because it's out there doesn't mean you have to use it. Lumps of rock floating in space, are not all astrologically significant LOL. Indeed if they were you would not be able to cast or interpret a chart. There are thousands of them and even if we keep to the larger ones they still turn a chart black with a large number of plots. There's a tendency that grew in the twentieth century to take every astronomical discover as astrologically important and rush to produce ephemerides and interpretations. It just leads to confusion.
Absolutely! :laugh:

Alan Oken isn't a traditional astrologer, though he does draw on some traditional principles. He is actually into esoteric Astrology and uses a whole new set of rulers. For a more detailed examination have a look at:

http://www.esotericastrologer.org/MiscFiles/EAintro.htm

for a run down of esoteric Astrology and the Seven Rays. It might be something that appeals to you but I'd also suggest you get a basic grounding first. Oken writes good introductory books though they are just that and you will branch out from them.
Thank you! Oken's website and blog keep mentioning the Seven Rays without explaining what that's all about. It hasn't seemed my kind of thing (and now I'll read that introduction thoroughly), but I do like his writing anyway. I'll look out for his beginners' books.

:D!