How did you choose your tarot cards?

azuremoonchild

for me it was a look thing, i saw them and fell in love, then the next week my love(boyfriend) bought them for me... likewise his deck came to me first
(revelations for me guilded for him...)

Rosanne

All those years ago it was a case of 'flip a coin'. I had the choice of two. RWS and Thoth. It was easier then I think. For me I think there are about five catergories to consider. Historic, like the Visconti, Historic like the TdM, fully Illustrated like the RWS, a different perspective like the Thoth, and themed decks that combine all aspects of the previous four. Most of the books written in English contain references to RWS, but a lot of decks come with their own book, and all come with the little booklet called the LWB (some good ,some bad). So today, it appears to me it as a matter of what style appeals. I don't reallly like collage decks, or photorealism, or deeply Christian images, exclusivly feminine or erotic for that matter. If I was starting right now in Tarot I would get a RWS or a clone of that- and I would get a large sized deck out of preference for large cards. Happy hunting!!! ~Rosanne

Alta

Rosanne makes many good points, but the one I would like to pick up on is the size of the deck. I suggest not starting with one of the mini decks, though you may be tempted because of the lower cost. At first (and even later) it is better to be able to see the images well.

The Giant Rider Waite is an amazing deck for example.

I have to agree with the recommendations above, I like all of those decks very much and would recommend any.

Moonchild1721

As far as bright illustrations, I would have to recommend the Whimsical Tarot. I have it myself, and I love it!
Samantha

Goaty's girl

Every deck i own has been brought for me by lovers or friends... i have never picked my own.... and i love every one of them.

GG:D