How do online readings work?

Pao

I was just wondering how exactly online readings work. I haven't had the best of luck with people reading for me thru IM or internet. I even feel insecure about offering readings here for me to practice because I feel like how can I be accurate about it if I don't have "physical" contact with the person. And a lot of times people aren't using their real name and in my past experiences if people got my name wrong the reading was way off. so it got me thinking how does it actually work, does the energy of the person travel to you?

Sorry if i asked this before but Im really trying to focus and learn more on tarot recently so any help and insight comes in handy :D

BB

Paola

Apollonia

I do a lot of readings for people and animals whose names I do not know and/or who aren't with me. Some of them are in different countries and some have left this physical plane. It doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

I wonder if your feeling that it does make a difference is somehow blocking you. Also, some readers just really like being able to see facial reactions, hear comments, and show the cards to the querent--that doesn't make it wrong, it's more a style one gets used to. For me, that makes face to face readings a lot more fun than the other kind, but both kinds work fine.

I used to do IM readings over the Internet, but I really don't think those were as useful to the querent, because of the rapidity with which I had to respond, which for me wasn't the best way to go about doing a reading--it was too much like being under the gun to perform instantly.

I also think there night be a part of you that may tend to get a bit tense about doing Internet readings, and that always makes it difficult for one's intuition to flow very well. Aeclectic is a great place to practice these types of readings, as people are generally helpful with feedback. I'd say just go for it, and let people know up front that you're practicing and you aren't sure how well it'll work.

And maybe you'll find you just don't enjoy doing readings when the person isn't there with you, and that's okay, too.

Sinduction

I have great success doing readings in private chat rooms. I am able to focus onto other people's energy quite easily this way. I know it works since every time I enter the chat, I get people wanting readings as soon as they see my screen name. I was unsure at first and asked for guinea pigs to practice on. It was surprisingly easy but only if you get people who are willing to open themselves up to you. I also do 4 card readings with the majors only, my own creation. I will post it below and you can try it if you like. I always ground myself before and ask to be connected to the person (I usually just say their screen name.) For instance, I say, "Give me Pao." And I hold my left hand over the deck while my right hand is on the mouse. It sounds weird, I know, but it works for me.

*****1******
2**********4
*****3******

1 usually always stands for my querant at the time of the reading.
2 & 3 are usually a struggle or some info they need.
4 is usually the outcome.

I usually start by describing the qualities of the first card to see if it fits. The second and third cards usually tell their own story. Some portray struggles, sometimes with a person, sometimes with themselves. I ask a lot of questions to find out exactly what it is (if the emperor is them or someone else, for example.) I always tell my readees to only answer what I ask so they don't give me too much info and screw up my read. I also let them ask me questions once I'm finished. Hope this helps. Let me know if I need to clarify anything for you. :)

CrystalTarot

I love giving online readings and now prefer them to face to face. There is still a connection, and in some it can be much stronger, I find people don't lie as much and show their true reaction and comments because most of the time they are anonmous and 'just a screenname'. You might be nervous because you can't feel the persons physical presence, see their body language etc but that is normal until you practise.

I usually shuffle and then ask the person to tell me when to stop and then deal the cards out. For larger and deeper readings, when I don't have enough room by the pc lol I concentrate on the person and link in and then do the reading at my table then come back and send the email or pm etc.

All you need is confidence and a few good querents to get you going :)

Sinduction

Haha I had that same problem with finding room at my computer desk. Then I remembered I had a stack of 4 tv trays doing absolutely nothing put taking up space behind my sofa. I now have one right next to my desk, which helps since I also do a lot of other work on my comp. One of those *duh* moments!!

Kenny

I have never done live readings, other than a couple for me and my g/f. However I have done lots of readings over the 'net--all of them here on this site. Mostly I get postive feedback no matter the length of the reading, sometimes I get misses too.

I don't see a problem with reading over the 'net because of my experiences here on this site.

As with space, I have a monitor shelf and a flat screen monitor, so as well as space for my overflowing books either side of the monitor I have space in front to layout my cards (a reason why I usually stick to 1 or 3 card spreads)! :)

firemaiden

I really love doing readings on line for others - it's quite unbelievable that randomly chosen cards for people you can't see and don't know could have any significance at all, but for some reason they can and do. When they do, it always astounds and moves me very much. However, I dislike being read for, I would say that quite often, the readings others did for me, were significantly off the mark, and the reader presented their ideas as undisputable facts about me - which I highly dislike.

For this reason, I feel it is important to remember with humility, that any card or card combination could be interpreted thousands of different ways, and what comes to my mind when I see the cards and think of you, is just... well, just what happened to occur to me. I really like to insist strongly that this is just what I see in the cards, and it may or may *not* have any application to the querant. I insist on using phrases like "the cards suggest that", or "I get the feeling that", etc, this way the querant understands I do not presume to know more than they do about who they are and what they are about.

You ask me to read, I dial the universe for you, and see what it says. Sometimes there is static in the line, I could dial the wrong number... but when it works, now that is really magical.

Pao

Apollonia said:
I wonder if your feeling that it does make a difference is somehow blocking you.

I also think there night be a part of you that may tend to get a bit tense about doing Internet readings, and that always makes it difficult for one's intuition to flow very well. :)

Yes that is definitely true, I still feel insecure with my own abilities therefore I think that somehow I may be blocking myself. Its difficult not to, I get nervous. I guess I have to work on it but the only way to do that is by practicing :T

Sinduction said:
I have great success doing readings in private chat rooms. I am able to focus onto other people's energy quite easily this way. I always ground myself before and ask to be connected to the person (I usually just say their screen name.) For instance, I say, "Give me Pao." And I hold my left hand over the deck while my right hand is on the mouse. It sounds weird, I know, but it works for me.

*****1******
2**********4
*****3******

1 usually always stands for my querant at the time of the reading.
2 & 3 are usually a struggle or some info they need.
4 is usually the outcome.

I usually start by describing the qualities of the first card to see if it fits. The second and third cards usually tell their own story. Some portray struggles, sometimes with a person, sometimes with themselves.

Oh so you kind of use the person's energy? you try to connect to them? Yea Ive tried to do that thought I dont know how well I connected. I am going to have to start asking for feedback.
for this spread do you mean like 1 tells you about the person and their qualities?

I think my main problem is I dont fully trust myself as of yet and so I have difficulties with readings, I always hope to be right and so it puts a lot of pressure on me.

thank you all for your insights I feel better after reading that it works for you so I guess I should try :T

Pao

firemaiden said:
I really like to insist strongly that this is just what I see in the cards, and it may or may *not* have any application to the querant. I insist on using phrases like "the cards suggest that", or "I get the feeling that", etc, this way the querant understands I do not presume to know more than they do about who they are and what they are about.
thats great advice. :D thanx!

Sinduction

For energy, my hand usually feels a little hot and tingly and like there is a ball of energy coming from my hand onto the deck. I hope that makes sense.

As for the first card.. let's say that it's the fool. I would ask my querant if they recently started something new. If yes then the reading is generally about this new thing. If no then they usually are looking at something in a new way and that is how the read progresses.

As for your nervousness, I usually cannot read if I am nervous. The best way for me to combat this is to relax my mind with a little meditation and to turn down the tv, which is always on. I try to look at it like the cards are always right, I just have to figure out what they are saying. You also may find it easier to work with your querant instead of going off on your own. There is nothing wrong with clarifying what you see. If you see a card that seems out of place, ask them what it means. You could start by explaining the card to them. Such as, "the Fool usually means this, or it could mean this, which one do you feel applies to you?" Most people are willing to help you, esp if you tell them you are new to reading online and want to strengthen your abilities. Just stay away from the meanies online. :)